Rorator cuff surgery

LIK2HNT

Long Time Member
Have any of you bow hunters had this surgery? My doctor wants to operate on both my shoulders. The left on bothers me more than the right, but he says both need to be done. I have been bow hunting for a long time and don't want to give it up unless I have to. I am debating wether to keep hunting until I can not pull my bow, or have surgery and start rifle hunting. My doctor will not really give me a straight answer as to wether I will be able to bow hunt again or when. If any of you have had this surgery what was recovery time, and can you still pull the same poundage? Any insight would be helpful.

Bill

All I know is that there was a show on the other day where this fella got a bull moose tag, just had the surgery done and learned to draw his bow with his teeth. Put two arrows into this big moose and filled his tag, so there is always hope to keep shooting you bow!!!!!

I had surgery on my right shoulder 2 years ago. I didn't have the same surgery you need, but my doctor told me my condition was worse than rotator cuff. I had instability in my shoulder. It kept dislocating all the time, I'd do anything and "pop" out it came, oh and the pain. I got tired of going to the hospital to have them push it back it. I just finally made myself pop it in, over and over... Anyway, I put off the surgery for about a year, and then in August I was wakeboarding, wreaked and it popped out bad, I went into shock in the water, and nearly drown. So I figured it was time. But, I couldn't do it until the hunting seasons were over. I waited until the duck hunt ended in January, and the next day I was in there. I have to tell you it was the worst thing I have ever had to deal with. I thought it would be no big deal, but it was. I went with the cut me all the way open method instead of orthoscopic. My doctor told me the recovery time would be 8 to 9 weeks instead of 5 to 6, but the odds of me dislocating were a lot lower. It really did take 2 months to recover to the point that I could use it again. I was unable to draw my bow until July. I did lose some mobility in my shoulder, and had to learn a new anchor point, my shoulder just won't rotate around as far anymore. Was it worth it? Oh ya, hasn't dislocated since, and just some minor pain every now and then. It actually feels a lot better now, then it did before. I say do it, but not until January. Good Luck!

"The Big Ol' Muley"
By the way, my first season back I killed a 5-point bull.

A very close friend of mine who has been a Auto Mechanic for over 40 years had both of his done about 2 years ago. He had to go back and have a small tear "under" the rotor cup to fix it right.
He has no problem with his right and if I remember I believe he went back to work today or maybe it's tomorrow.
He got to the point where he could not raise his arms up overhead to work on cars on a rack.
He was off for 8-10 weeks to make sure that they healed up ok. This last one was another 8-9 weeks also.

Do it during the winter months when there is no hunting that you will miss out on or keep from getting in shape for the season. Walking is fine, but you will have arm in cast and body sling for about 3-4 weeks I think Dave said.

Good luck, only one at a time too.

Brian

LIK2HNT,

I haven't had shoulder surgery, but I'm physical therapist and work with people every day who have.

Rotator cuff tears very rarely, if ever "heal" on their own, and usually the symptoms and limitations get worse over time.

The reason a tear is such a problem is it does not allow the stabilization mechanism of the shoulder to function properly. As the muscles of the shoulder lift or elevate the arm, the joint is not held in correct mechanical position. This leads to pain, then loss of shoulder range of motion (ROM), then loss of muscle strength, which results in limited functional use of your arm -- it's usually just a downward spiral.

That is why a surgical repair is usually the most effective way to treat the problem -- it allows the joint mechanics to work correctly again. That isn't to say that the outcome of the surgery is guaranteed to be successfull because there is always a chance it won't, but that chance is very low in general.

If you have "typical" RC tears and a "typical" solid repairs and good shoulder rehab, your chances should be very good to return to shooting your bow.

If it were me, I would seriously consider surgery if I couldn't throw a baseball, couldn't lift a 5 pound weight above my head, or had pain with normal daily activities (getting a glass from a high cupboard). Chances would be better to be able to shoot (and lots of other things) with the surgery than without.

In my opinion, a good doctor will always tell you the risks and expected outcomes of YOUR surgery to help YOU make the best decision for YOU. Getting a second or even third opinion never hurts if you're unsure.

Following a "typical" RC repair, you can expect the following:

1. 4 to 6 weeks of passive range of motion only -- can't use the muscles of the surgery shoulder. PT during those 4 to 6 weeks to regain normal passive ROM.

2. Active ROM -- begin using those shoulder muscles to move your arm.

3. Strengthening exercises for specific shoulder muscles.

4. Returning to normal functional activities as you are able.

All in all it would likely take 4 to 6 months post op before you would be ready to perform high resistance activities like pulling your bow. Of course that could vary (faster or slower) depending on a number of factors in your individual situation -- everybody is a little different. The other thing to consider is if you have both shoulders done, it will likely be at least 3 month between surgeries.

If you decide you are not ready for surgery, I would suggest talking to your doc or a PT about some shoulder ROM and strengthening exercises you can start now. These should help maximize what you can do now and should improve recovery following surgery later.

There is quite a bit of info on the net if you do a search on "rotator cuff" or "shoulder surgery."

Sorry to be so long-winded. If you have any other ?'s, I'd be glad to try to answer them.

Later,
JT

i have had two rotor cuff tears in my right shoulder and yes i am right handed i will tell you one thing i hope you have a very high tollerance for pain because it like nothing you have ever experanced before in your life i had two full tears and since then i have had two small tears that i didnt have fixed to answer your question i will never be able to shoot my bow again sorry if that scares you but good luck

I had surgery on my shoulder after i broke it and seperated it at the same time while wrestling just before the state tournement. I was out for three months but i hunted with my bow that year even though the doctor told me not to. I turned my bow down as low as it would go to 60 pounds and shot a cow. I wish i would have listened to him though because i think im going to have to have it done again.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom