Run in with Team Mossback.

muley75

Just thought I would share a little of my bear hunt the last weekend of the hunt. I was hunting on the Boulder around a lake that some bears that were coming into to eat fish guts. Saturday afternoon about 6 guys showed up to fish. I was alone that weekend so after dark I introduced myself. They asked how the hunt was going, I told them not too well. They invited me to dinner and they explained they were up fishing for a bachelor party. I asked them how they all new each other because they were from all over the state. The then told me they were all guides for Mossback. Well the next day was the last day of the hunt and they offered to help me find a bear. We spent all morning glassing and watching and finally about noon one finally spotted a young bear. Unfortunately like bow hunting can be I just could not quite connect. We had him at 22 yards, but just too thick for a shot.

This was my first real run in with anyone from Doyle's crew. I see them all the time while up scouting and hunting, but never have spoke to any of them. After getting to know a few of them for a few short hours Doyle has some great guys, who were more than willing to help a guy out.

I always hear negative things about Mossback, I thought it would be good to tell about my encounter. I guess there is a reason Doyle has been able to get so many good clients. They seem to be all pretty good guys!

Thanks guys, it made for a fun weekend!

I have seen this close encounters change minds a lot. Especially on the mountain. Every one has and opinion but not everyone has had an encounter with team mossback. Once they have, their minds are changed because finally they have their own opinion and its not based on the biggest mossback phase ever coined "I HEARD"

These guys are bad ass~ Team mossback is not the same as it was 5 or 6 years ago. What once was very easily a bunch or rouge douche-bags with mossback hats talking and claiming the mountain is now a new generation of passionate hunters that love what they do and do what they love.
Doyle has made it a point to clean house and get rid of the bad apples years ago. Granted there will always be haters and people will always judge and that's life. Just know team mossback is not out talking trash about nor judging you.

IMO people who know Doyle or some of the mossback guides have nothing bad to really say. Its the people whom have never met Doyle or any of team mossback who are still running their mouths to this day. Every time you hear someone talking trash pay attention to the first words that come out of their mount "I HEARD" Then ask them if they know or have met anyone from mossback.
You should be able to see the pattern pretty easy.

That's good to know guys and makes a lot of sense! It's like the story that one guy tells another and by the time it gets passed on and told a few times the story is completely different that the first telling,

Sounds like 10 short of a Doyles Dozen!:D

RAZZIN!

Some Good Guys out there!

The Day We can't Joke with each other is the Day I'll Hang My Hat!

The Dew I had for Breakfast wasn't Bad so I had one more for Dessert!:D

Muley75, I heard a different story! I heard they blocked the road and ran the giant bear off that you were putting a stalk on. They then called Denny and had him fly his ultra light in and shoot the bear on private property. I heard they tied you to a tree for three days until you promised to come on MM and tell us they are good guys!

Traditional >>>------->

lol.....apparently they didn't have a hunter.

hmmmmmm....Wayne swore he wasn't getting married again....

When you go swimming in the ocean, it is very cold, and it makes my willy small

MOST of us, including the Mossback boys love hunting and love helping other hunters have success. Unfortunately, there are some who frequent sites like this solely to feed their bulging male egos (and small reproductive parts), by putting down some who have found success that they haven't.
Thanks for sharing the positive experience that MOST of us enjoy.

>Just thought I would share a
>little of my bear hunt
>the last weekend of the
>hunt. I was hunting
>on the Boulder around a
>lake that some bears that
>were coming into to eat
>fish guts. Saturday afternoon
>about 6 guys showed up
>to fish. I was
>alone that weekend so after
>dark I introduced myself.
>They asked how the hunt
>was going, I told them
>not too well. They
>invited me to dinner and
>they explained they were up
>fishing for a bachelor party.
> I asked them how
>they all new each other
>because they were from all
>over the state. The
>then told me they were
>all guides for Mossback.
>Well the next day was
>the last day of the
>hunt and they offered to
>help me find a bear.
> We spent all morning
>glassing and watching and finally
>about noon one finally spotted
>a young bear. Unfortunately
>like bow hunting can be
>I just could not quite
>connect. We had him
>at 22 yards, but just
>too thick for a shot.
>
>
>This was my first real run
>in with anyone from Doyle's
>crew. I see them
>all the time while up
>scouting and hunting, but never
>have spoke to any of
>them. After getting to
>know a few of them
>for a few short hours
>Doyle has some great guys,
>who were more than willing
>to help a guy out.
>
>
>I always hear negative things about
>Mossback, I thought it would
>be good to tell about
>my encounter. I guess
>there is a reason Doyle
>has been able to get
>so many good clients.
>They seem to be all
>pretty good guys!
>
>Thanks guys, it made for a
>fun weekend!

so how much did they pay you to post this on here... j/k cool story

>I have seen this close encounters
>change minds a lot. Especially
>on the mountain. Every one
>has and opinion but not
>everyone has had an encounter
>with team mossback. Once they
>have, their minds are changed
>because finally they have their
>own opinion and its not
>based on the biggest mossback
>phase ever coined "I HEARD"
>
>
>These guys are bad ass~ Team
>mossback is not the same
>as it was 5 or
>6 years ago. What once
>was very easily a bunch
>or rouge douche-bags with mossback
>hats talking and claiming the
>mountain is now a new
>generation of passionate hunters that
>love what they do and
>do what they love.
>Doyle has made it a point
>to clean house and get
>rid of the bad apples
>years ago. Granted there will
>always be haters and people
>will always judge and that's
>life. Just know team mossback
>is not out talking trash
>about nor judging you.
>
>IMO people who know Doyle or
>some of the mossback guides
>have nothing bad to really
>say. Its the people whom
>have never met Doyle or
>any of team mossback who
>are still running their mouths
>to this day. Every time
>you hear someone talking trash
>pay attention to the first
>words that come out of
>their mount "I HEARD" Then
> ask them if they
>know or have met anyone
>from mossback.
>You should be able to see
>the pattern pretty easy.

"Doyle has made it a point
>to clean house and get
>rid of the bad apples
>years ago."
Then what was the circus fargos fiasco that happend in Colorado this past year???????????

Was NUNYA celabrating for another round?

The Dew I had for Breakfast wasn't Bad so I had one more for Dessert!:D

I have had my run ins with the Mossback crew. 2 times, both on archery hunts. Both were VERY VERY negative. This was in 2006 and 2008. It was the same guy also. Needless to say, that guide no longer works for Mossback.

I did, however, run into a guide for another company on the 1st archery elk hunt and he was AWESOME. He was guiding someone else, but he helped me out A LOT. We all ended up working together to help each other, and then the 2nd tag I had, he was guiding again on that archery elk unit and We all helped each other again. I was alone for a few days due to helps work schedules, A huge storm came in and I was in a tent. This guide asked me to come sleep in their camp to be safe. The next day, there was another HUGE storm while I was out hunting that evening/night, and we all knew where each other was going. They came looking for me that night when I got back late, and found me walking down the road in a downpour. This guide was a STUD!!!

So, yes there are some goods and some bads. But the bads dont always represent the Owner.

I've dealt with them a bunch, including the months where serious hunting takes place. They've always been very friendly and professional with me. Maybe it's because we know the same people, and run in the same crowds, but I doubt it. I'm not anyone special.

Don't have a mossback story for the pos. or neg. Hope I never run into him, or any of his guides, if I did that would mean they are in the area where I am hunting and I don't want anyone there to share the hunting with but my family and my friends. I'm kinda greedy that way. I did race a couple of his guides to some Elk sheds years ago, They won. They were there the next year so I just found a new spot. they seamed like good folk at the time.

I imagine that if Mossback were in there hunting bears instead of fishing then it wouldn't have been such a circle jerk.

>MOST of us, including the Mossback
>boys love hunting and love
>helping other hunters have success.
>Unfortunately, there are some who
>frequent sites like this solely
>to feed their bulging male
>egos (and small reproductive parts),
>by putting down some who
>have found success that they
>haven't.
>Thanks for sharing the positive experience
>that MOST of us enjoy.
>

YUP!
Some can do it and those who can't, bash those who can!
Zeke

4000fps,
I think they were just actually fishing. Not the broke back fishing trips you're thinking of.

I'll bet if they were hunting bears 75s tent would have been burned to the ground and his bow string cut in the night.

The truth is most of the professional guides are just that....professional. Doyle's got some good ones because he runs a great business. That's why the big dollars go to him and stay with him. He's good at what he does and that's in part to having good employees like any business. If he wasn't good and successful there would be no haters.

It's nice to hear good things about the MB guys from FIRST-HAND experiences.

I know a couple of them and they're stand-up guys.

I would suspect, on any given day in the field, most of you guys would feel a sense of competition with any other hunter. I know I do! Why would it be different with the MB guys? This doesn't make them bad guys at all. They're just serious about what they're doing.

Most all the BS that we've heard about them through the years is just that, BS. "I heard this....I heard that...". Most is nonsense.

This site is rampant with stories of hunter conflict. If you hunt a public area, you'll run into the public!

mtnman, here on MM, told a story about some guys who cut him off at the trailhead. He used them to push a damn nice buck to him! I use other hunter every year and I'm sure they use me but we're still all brothers in the field!

Be safe out there and have fun,
Zeke

You can tell they was hunters, Because they dropped them fishing pole and took off hunting. Nice work guys.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

The "team" designation always cracks me up. I've only hunted as a "team" a couple times. There was two of us. mtmuley

I have no doubt that most of the Mossback team are awesome guys. But to me its not about them being nice or not, that is irrelevant to me. As cool as they (mossback or any other big guiding service) might be, its the style of hunting they sometimes employ, and the part they have played in the glamorization of hunting. Furthermore, I have heard multiple stories where a regular blow joe guy finally drew his L.E. deer or elk tag but couldn't compete with the slew of guides camped on the animal he had his eye on. Not to mention the land I have been hunting since I was a kid is in danger of being turned into a high dollar hunting ranch because of the money it could generate and I think the big guiding services and their movies and high dollar prices are speeding this trend considerably. Everybody wants their 200" buck now and will pay insane amounts for it. Which I also believe is the reason our public lands are getting more jam packed every year decreasing the quality of bucks found there. Hunters are losing their access to private land because land owners are saving their ground for high dollar trophy hunters leaving the rest of us to chase after the few good public land bucks like a greased pig at the county fair. So, yeah these guides might be cool, but how are they affecting our hunting?

They are not affecting it. They are doing a job they have been hired to do. They did not start the trend. They may have been successful in the areana that has been created but they did not create it. Boone and Crocket, Pope and Young, SCI....all started measuring "trophies". The trend grew and grew. These are all considered great conservation clubs by they started the trophy trend and what you see now is smart businessmen and great outdoorsmen intermingling to create the current atmosphere. The trend started long long before any of us that's just a fact.

Muley_73, you have a good point there, I can see what your saying about boone and crocket and others, But to say guides like mossback and co. don't affect it all?! Haha You must be blinded by your major man crush on mossback! Either that or your one of em. Then you're in denial.

No not at all. I see your point also but I see the big picture. That's kind of uncommon on MM I know.

The big picture is bad for hunting in my opinion, but that's my opinion.
Its definitely changed big game hunting in the west forever, no matter what your opinion is.
I couldn't begin to tell you how much more of a quality experience it was just 30 years ago, less crowded, more wild country, the animals were wilder and most didn't have first names, the adventure was more like exploring, much more excitement.

I think its the young hunters of average means that are really losing out.

But you don't miss what you never had, so carry on.

Using teams of bounty hunters, helicopters, 150 trail cams, violating closed roads, and paying every swinging d.ick in smalltown USA for info on a trophy animal is not hunting. That is like setting up a trail cam in your house to watch your parents hide the easter eggs.

Long gone are the days of heading into a good area in the dark and hunting for a good animal that has no name. You can not only thank Mossback for that, but you can thank most of the people in UT for that mindset.

>Long gone are the days of
>heading into a good area
>in the dark and hunting
>for a good animal that
>has no name. You can
>not only thank Mossback for
>that, but you can thank
>most of the people in
>UT for that mindset.

No they are not. That is the way I and most other still do it. It's what you make of it. If you want to use guides, cams, spotters and scouts please do. If you don't then that is fine as well.

I'm not a Mossback hater at all but I have to agree that hunting has changed. Like it or not, it's very true. I don't think Moss started it but they are good at what they do and it does perpetuate change.

Hunting has become much more competitive and much less romantic! It's become more about the inched than the experience.

Since I'm a romantic hunter, I prefer to do things a bit more old fashioned. I've never used a trail camera because I prefer to scout and I don't like to "watch my parents hide the Easter eggs" but when a small group of family or freinds will help me I'll gladly take the "team".

There are various circumstances when I think it prudent for a hunter to hire a guide but I'm not the one to decide where and when someone else should or shouldn't do it.

I appreciate the various opinions and the civil discussions in this thread!

Zeke

That is like setting up a trail cam in your house to watch your parents hide the easter eggs.

Best line on MM in a long time. Thanks for the laugh

Don't blame it all on Mossback.Whatever you may think about Doyle,he is just exploiting the situation,and he is damn good at what he does.If you want to blame someone...look in the mirror.In one way or another,we all are to blame for what hunting has turned into today.

We all feed the monster in one way or another.Whether that is through our own lust for the "big one",or just apathy and indifference.Hunting will never be the same as it was 30 years ago in so many different ways.Like it or not.You either go hunting and forget about it or you quit hunting.Just my opinion.

I like your post,Zeke.

>That is like setting up a
>trail cam in your house
>to watch your parents hide
>the easter eggs.
>
>
>
>Best line on MM in a
>long time. Thanks for the
>laugh

I liked the quote too, that's why I quoted it from 4000fps! He comes up with a few good ones!

Zeke

>Don't blame it all on Mossback.Whatever
>you may think about Doyle,he
>is just exploiting the situation,and
>he is damn good at
>what he does.

And Richard Simmons is good at dancing. Congrats?

The Big Picture is this. Hunting is changing and has been changing for many many years. One post here said it started in Utah or we have Utah to blame for it. Really????

Lets talk about "team" hunting. Some of you say its not the norm. Well I think it is far and away the norm for big game hunting world wide. If you go to Africa, Professional Hunter, Gunbearer, Trackers, Driver, Spotter,skinners, Cook,ect. Well that seems like a hunting team to me. Alaska, guide, cook, camp help, bush pilot...again a team. How about Canada, Guide, Pack Team(Probably not the hunters horses) cook, camp help...Looks like a team to me. What about Russia, guides in thier jeeps, spotters, packers, cooks ect. Hmmm another team. Hungry or Turkey? How about a mob of drivers, driving the game in your direction....could be called a team. Maybe a whitetail hunt back east or in the midwest, Public land? Most likely not. So private. Landowner, outfitter, someone planting food plots, someone scouting...kind of a team effort. Some of these you can do on your own but most actually require you by law to hunt with a team.

I keep seeing the Teddy Roosevelt quotes all over this site. Well honestly how many hunts to you think old Teddy went on with out a team. I'd bet money on who Teddy would have hired if he wanted to hunt Utah right now!!!!

Yes the over the counter go hunt where ever you want on your own is starting to fade a little in the west. Its still doable and that can not be said about most of the world. More people, less animals. Supply and demand. Utah did not start the trend and neither did Mossback. Utah is behind in some ways and we've been able to hold on to the old way for probably to long. Mossback to just good at what they do and so they get targeted by the individuals that refuse to understand completely and actually look at the big picture. Im glad Doyle is as good as he is. He produces and that gets more money coming into Utah for our wildlife. Money that is needed and will continue to be needed if we all want to have oppurtunity.

And that is the reality of the big picture of big game hunting.

Then the picture sucks, and it needs to be changed. Mossback is good at what they do, the hunters that employ them aren't good at it. Sad. mtmuley

After reading this entire thread I had to go back to the beginning to see how it started....
Funny how this website gets wrapped around the axle and then decides to drop it into 2nd and hammer down.

Never met doyle or any of his personnel. Personnally I don't hire guides, not my cup of tea. Heck I don't even like bringing friends with me hunting usually cause I am afraid they will talk about my secret spots....

I don't think MB is nearly as bad as people claim, it was nice to see a "good" story about them for once here on MM's.

They offer a service that is legal, and it is in high demand so obviously they can charge big $$$ which results in being able to hire more help. That is how business patterns work.

Zeke, thanks for the comment, I just got that buck back and posted pics of him in another thread :)

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

I get a laugh out of all this Mossback stuff. We never hear about it with other outfitters. I bet if the people that spend all this time on here bitching and moaning about mossback spent the same amount of time in the field scouting YOU might be able to turn something up worth posting pictures of..

Sniper,

I have determined the vast majority of people on these threads aren't even hunters. Getting them away from their computers and into the woods would not be a joyous day for them.

"I have determined the vast majority of people on these threads aren't even hunters. Getting them away from their computers and into the woods would not be a joyous day for them. "

Frickin hilarious coming from the guy who spends more time on here posting than anybody..... You can't buy this level of humor.... Terry

LAST EDITED ON Jun-12-13 AT 01:28PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-12-13 AT 12:02?PM (MST)

7th,
Thank you for your insight. Very well thought out and informed. Thanks for sharing your deep wisdom.

>
>Frickin hilarious coming from the guy
>who spends more time on
>here posting than anybody..... You
>can't buy this level of
>humor.... Terry

I agree! He has been on here for 3 months or so??? He racks up posts faster than the Cat! LOL

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

This was a good post and I'm glad they were courteous and helped you out. But... First, they weren't there with a hunter. Second, they weren't there to scout for a bear. Your story would have been exactly the opposite if they were doing anything even close to that. I have a former doyle chrony for a friend. The stories he tells... Ah yea!!

"You hear the helicopters long before you seen the henchmen."

You mean the one Randy is ridin' in right????

the hate just can't stop !go hunt and don't worry about moss or any other guides. this site is becoming a joke!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-13-13 AT 01:31PM (MST)[p]>We all feed the monster in
>one way or another.Whether that
>is through our own lust
>for the "big one",or just
>apathy and indifference.Hunting will never
>be the same as it
>was 30 years ago in
>so many different ways.Like it
>or not.You either go hunting
>and forget about it or
>you quit hunting.Just my opinion.

You're right about hunting not ever being exactly the same as it was 30 years ago, but why should we just forget about the way it's headed? There are plenty of people, Doyle among them, that are driving hunting in a direction that will end up like the hunting in the rest of the world. Yes, I know, you and others believe it could never happen here, but a lot of things are happening here that 30 years ago would have been unthinkable.

So, what was big game hunting like 30 years ago? First off, per the 1993 Proclamation, the following major changes (first time) were already happening; 1) Deer hunters may hunt only one major buck deer season this year. 2) Big game licenses are sold seperately from the tags. 3) Bonus points will be awarded to unsuccessful limited entry and once-in-a-lifetime applicants. 4) Waiting periods were increased. There were several other changes also.

What was the same? All general buck deer and elk hunting tags were over-the-counter, unlimited and hunting was statewide (with a few exceptions). Tribal lands were open (except Navajo). There were only 11 Posted Hunting Units (CWMU's) with public tags, 25 total PHU's. There were 3 general antlerless deer hunts (pre-season buck, season buck, post-season buck) that were conducted on certain units (about 40 of the 70 or so units) with a total of 10,370 tags, including the two permit hunts. Only one elk tag was allowed and antlerless elk tags were by application/drawing.

So, what has changed since then? Tribal lands are closed. We now have 100+ CWMU's, cultivated land is now off limits, property fenced or enclosed in such a way as to keep intruders out (whatever that means) is now off-limits, statewide hunting is now gone and we now have 30+ hunting units, unlimited numbers are now gone, over-the-counter deer tags are now gone, the number of Conservation permits has increased dramatically (In 1993 there were 2 bull elk, 2 buck deer, 2 buck pronghorn and 2 bull moose tags that were auctioned of by conservation organizations with minimum bids of $2,500/deer, $1,250/pronghorn, $5,000/bull elk/bull moose). Additionally there was one Desert Bighorn and one Rocky Mountain Bighorn tag to be auctioned off by the DWR at the FNAWS Convention (no minimum bid) and one buck deer, one bull elk, one bull moose and one bison permit to be sold by the DWR per a mailed in secret bid (minimum bid $5,000). We also now have Convention permits.

Addmitedly, some of the changes are biologically based and were/are necessary, but many, if not most are basically driven by the trophy/big money mentality, ie; Conservation tags, Convention tags, CWMU's, closed/posted private property, closed tribal lands, limited entry units, smaller hunting units, reduced numbers of buck tags and higher buck to doe ratios. And, while many of the changes may never return, I, for one, am not willing to sit around and let further erosion take place to the point that I'm priced out of the system or that I have to replace hunting with God, family, church, marriage, sanity, or health on my priority list. Maybe stamp collecting, astronomy, gardening, reading, or swimming can drop on my list, but there's a limit!

I met Doyle last year at on a deer hunt in Nevada. He was one of the guides there for the week, he seemed to be a really good person to me.

7th,
Yeah just like if he ran into you and you were both chasing the same bear, deer or elk. It's public land so it get competitive . Of course the scenario may be different if they were all chasing the same bear. They were not and they showed themselves as great sportsmen. More than can be said about some on this site.

.....they showed
>themselves as great sportsmen.
>More than can be said
>about some on this site.
>

That's a rather childish remark, Muley_73!

elk,
Would you really like to compare lives. For really I'm ok to run down each others lives and see how it shakes out.

EFA,
Please validate how that is a childish remark?

I'm just going along with our wise old friend Tristate. He's the human relations expert, so ask him why it's childish to imply that many people you've never even met aren't true sportsmen. For all I know, you could have been talking about me!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-14-13 AT 10:58PM (MST)[p]EFA,
As much as we may disagree I believe you would still qualify as a sportsman. If you question yourself well then that's something you'll have to deal with. There are plenty that show through posts that they are less than true sportsman. Just my opinion, if that comes off as childish then I guess I'm ok with that . At times I am childish I'm big enough to realize that. However I don't think that comment was childish. Take a look at the comments made in response the original post. It was nothing more than a sportsman sharing a positive experience he had recently enjoyed. Some of comments were less than sportsman like. So I'll stand by my original comment.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-14-13 AT 11:44PM (MST)[p]I guess my sense of humor is too subtle. I was ribbing you, Tristate, elkun and others on this forum who tend to draw this kind of discussion away from the subject matter into the personality bashing. I'm certainly not perfect, but I have no issue with myself as a sportsman and I try to separate the individual from their actions and motives.

Doyle and his crew may all be great guys and they may run a successful business. That, however, does not mean I shouldn't challenge their actions and/or motives when it affects my chosen lifestyle. Go back and read my post 53 tucked between 35 and 34. That sums up my philosophy regarding big game hunting and how it pertains to Mossback. I don't mind and, in fact, encourage some of the types of hunts he and his crew are involved in. I just don't want those types of hunts to be the only ones available, especially to the vast majority of Utah's hunting public. And that's what it's coming to per the latest and the ongoing/upcoming proposals we hear from Mossback and others.

Attack each other (or me) with cutting insults if you feel you have to or let's talk like adults (with a bit of humor thrown in) and find some solutions. In either case, you'll spend time on the computer. Make it count!

Edited; I just realized my post 53 refers to 30 years ago, but my 1993 Proclamation references are only 20 years ago. See, I told you I wasn't perfect. In any case I don't have a full copy of the 1983 Proclamation, so the 1993 one will have to stand.

"I'm just going along with our wise old friend Tristate. He's the human relations expert, so ask him why it's childish to imply that many people you've never even met aren't true sportsmen. For all I know, you could have been talking about me!"

Wait. You want me to defend YOU calling a statement childish by explaining YOUR thoughts????????? That truly is the most illogical and insane statement I think I have ever seen here. Please explain how any person can do that without omniscience?????

LAST EDITED ON Jun-15-13 AT 08:49PM (MST)[p]7th,
You're obviously more educated on this topic and have more knowledge of Blue Collar Comedy. So I'll back off this in depth subject.

I would like if you could please let all of us know about your personal knowledge of these goons.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom