S.Indigo or KFalls Muzzy?

O

OregonBighorn

I'm looking for a smokepole hunt for my wife. This will be her first hunt and she just wants to see game and have a decent chance at filling her tag. My question is do any of you guys have experience with these hunts? And if so what were the experiences like? I am also considering the Se Metolious doe archery tag just to get her an animal. Can you suggest another public land dominated hunt? I have twenty four weeks off a year so scouting is no problem. She has three pts for buck, two for doe. Thanks for the help! OB

Don't know about the Indigo. The K-Falls muzzy was great until they backed the dates off. I'd bet it would still be good as the deer migrate through that unit to head to Susanville, Ca.

The only thing I am worried about is the private land down there. I don't want to run into the same situation we did a few years ago on the interstate youth hunt and watch all the deer on private land.

Interstate youth tag all the deer were on private land? Are you kidding. Too bad I didn't know you had the tag then, I could have personally showed you tons and tons of great bucks that were on public land. But a good majority of the good hunting grounds in the Klamath unit are on private grounds

LAST EDITED ON Aug-28-08 AT 09:05AM (MST)[p]I was called by our wonderful ODFW five years ago and they told me I drew the interstate youth tag but due to a season change they I would have to forfeit my tag because I would be one day to old. They gave me the option of receiving any 600 series tag with at least 25 permits. I chose the North Warner youth tag, my hunting area burned, and I ended up with a forky on the last day after passing up bigger deer. The tag I was talking about was my brothers. He drew it like three years ago. At the last minute we found out neither my dad or I would be able to take him and my uncle would have to giving him two days to hunt. We did scout and were hunting the east side of the unit. They called me after the first day and said there weren't as many deer as they wanted and the quality wasn't very good. I couldn't believe it...I called the Lakeview bio and he said the weather was alot worse than expected and the deer were leaving early for california so shoot the next nice buck you see. I relayed the message and my my brother shot the buck he wanted to, a really old and tall 4x2 with lots of character. It was the buck he wanted before season but we told him he wasn't going to shoot because we didn't think it was worthy of the tag. They said the majority of the "monster" bucks were on private land and the biggest buck they saw that weekend was in the fort rock unit lol. Still wish I had a tag ODFW!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom