S9 CO Sheep, Mind going wild, preparations going into motion

beech18

Thanks everyone who have congratulated me on getting the tag on the other post. One MM member already contacted me with the offering to answer questions, that is awesome. Looking forward to speaking to you on the phone.
Mind is going wild. Sleep at night is tough to find since I learned of drawing the tag, I try counting sheep to fall asleep but that only makes it worse. The preperations are starting to go into effect.
S9 Sangre de Cristos Rifle hunt.
This is my first sheep tag ever. Im pumped.
I am glad for Colorado and when they let a person know about drawing a tag like this. Got approx 4 months to get everything prepared and learn as much as I can till then. I plan on doing this hunt DIY. My father will be joining me. Hes a tough SOB that loves to hunt, he doesnt show his age which is good because it takes all I got to keep up with him.

If anyone is willing to share any information of this area, I would appriacate any info I can recieve. I thank you ahead of time for anyone who is willing to share whatever info you might have. I realize the unit is rugged country. Im looking forward to what Sangre de Cristos have to offer and the challenges I may face during this hunt. Ive already made my mind up the ram Im looking for doesnt have the be the biggest on the mountain. Just a good representive of what the mountain has to offer is my main goal of the ram Im looking for. If I can find a monster, great, but score is not going to make or break this hunt. Im going sheep hunting!! Thats all that matters.
Ive figured out which maps I need, first thing Monday morning Ill be ordering those. Start out by just getting orinated with the hunt area, then will start google earthing, and so on
Im already mentally going through my equipment check list. Which gun, which optics, etc etc. Ive got 3 light weight guns Ill be choosing from that I like and shoot well. 6.5 X 284 Savage lightweight Hunter, 280 Remingon Mountain Rifle, 300WSM Kimber Montana. Right now Im leaning towards the 6.5 X 284. I bought that rifle acouple years ago just for a hunt like this one if I ever drew. Do I take my trued and tested Swaro spotter straight eye piece, or the new Minox I picked up to try out this upcoming year, angled eye piece. Decisions decisions on many items.
I enjoy doing back pack type of hunts and have all the gear to do so if I deem thats the best way will be back packing the hunt. Or Ive got base camp supplies if that route looks better.
Soon as I learned of drawing the tag. My work out routine changed pace. Instead of jogging every other day in the hills. Im upping the pace faster to a more intense burn. My running shoes where just about worn out, needless to say, just bought a new pair knowing I will be spending alot of time in them now with no excuses. Also just added in a short quick weight routine in on the off days of running. Hate lifting weights anymore but figured a quick routine will be benificial.
Season dates Sept 3-Oct 6 I believe it is. Good news, Sept my seasonal work is just finishing up earily part of Sept, Ive got nothing but time when it comes to this hunt. Negitive to the above though, pre scouting is not in the cards for me.
This is just tip of the ice berg. Hope you enjoy my rambling of my intial preperations of the hunt. Im assuming for those who have drawn sheep tags before know the feeling of there first sheep tag!

I had a buddy draw that S-9 bow ram tag a couple years ago.

I will reach out to him to see if he can give ya some intel.

Robb

Congrats again, beech! Luck has smiled upon you, and has given you the rarest of the rare - a NR sheep tag. In all reality, you could go the rest of your life without drawing another one. I've drawn exactly 1 NR sheep tag in 21 years of trying. My recommendation is quite simple: hire the best guide for that area.

My reasoning is as follows:

S9 is not known as a blue chip sheep area. There's a big difference in hunting an area that consistently has 100% success versus an area that has 45-60% success. There's a reason for these lower success rates - the topography of the area is extremely unforgiving, and the sheep can difficult to find from year to year. A person could lose several days hunting an area where the sheep are not. A good guide will know the sheep patterns and have several places to look when the chips are down.

You stated that you will not be able to scout the area prior to the season. Pre-season scouting is one of the biggest keys to DIY success. To go into an area without actually putting boots to the ground places you a bit behind the 8-ball.

You won't get a do-over (unlike deer or elk, there is no next year). Sheep hunting is different - these animals can be especially difficult to spot, their habits are unlike deer or elk.

The good sheep guides are an amazing breed of people. They take a personal, vested interest in your success. My sheep hunts have been some of the most cherished days I have spent in the mountains. The guides I have shared campfires with have become friends, still sharing calls and emails a decade after my hunts.

I wish you the best of luck in your preparation! Enjoy every detail. Sheep hunting is one of those special, rare things that will leave you longing for more. Take lots of photos, keep a journal so you can reflect upon it when you're old and gray.

Good Luck!!

beech,
I your enthusiasm for this hunt is exactly what I was hoping to read. Some guys never do figure out what a sheep tag really means. You have it figured out because it IS the hunter's lottery ticket!
I don't know the area at all, so I can't comment on that, but if you are set on DIY, be sure to know the risks as dwalton just outlined.
Finding sheep is 90% of he battle and if you can connect with as many previous hunters, especially successful ones, that will really help. Narrowing down specifics on where to hunt makes a big difference because sheep sometimes hang in very small pockets of a unit and that can change from year to year. Make sure you practice shooting at angles because sheep hunting is definitely up and down and knowing your rifle is key. Best of luck and keep us informed!

Like the old saying goes, gitty as a little school girl. Thats what Im feeling hitting this lottery ticket as LBH said. Thanks for the comments. First thing this morning, maps are ordered and will be sent out today.

Yes, that would be awesome if your buddy is willing to share any intel. If hes willing to do so looking forward to chat with him.

I know what you mean on tackling this as a DIY hunt. Im up for a challenge and Ill give the risks a careful 2nd thought after speaking with afew previous hunters. I like doing things on my own terms and done a number of physical enduring hunts before on my own, realize this pry will be the most enduring challenge to date if the country is as rugged as Im thinking it is and been hearing about. If need be, worst case if I see this undertaking being too much to handle and deem I need help with, Ill have to talk to my banker and see if I can get a loan for a guide or sell some of my gear or guns to pay for it.

That is a great idea, Ive never keep a journel before. My father has and Ive enjoyed reading his stuff but I havent even thought of it for myself yet. Good idea to bring up.

For those who've hunted sheep before. Any good reads on sheep in terms of books (behavior,etc etc) I should be looking to aquire to gain knowledge of there habits and patterns, etc etc?

SHEEP SUCCESSFUL LIMITED LICENSE FOR 1ST CHOICE: SMS09O1R

Copied from the fish and game page. Its like Candy to my eyes.

beech-----Conglads on the tag. Nothing like hunting sheep. Go to www.huntdata.com They have compiled all the kill sites on a topo map for each unit. It's a good place to start getting ideas on where to go. The best book I know is Jack O'Conors----Sheep & Sheep hunting. It's a little dated but still a good read & how to.

Get good glass. Swaro's & Leica come to mind -- 8X are plenty of power IMO. You will be able to tell if it's a ram. Your spotting scope then tells if you want to hunt it. Binco's are more important than a spotting scope. You will use them all day, spotting scope is for details. You don't want an eye strain headache.

Get your legs & lungs in shape.

As far as your rifle. Takes the lightest one. Also be prepared for it to get knicks, gouges and mars. I slide down a snow slide on a talus slope----messed up my stock on my Model 700. I love those gouges now. Everyone is a memory of my sheep hunt.

+1 on the guide recommendation. Your in arguably the toughest sheep unit in the lower 48 and are in for a miserable failure if you go alone as a NR. The lightning alone is life threatening in August and September. Is recommend Al Vallejo with Sangre De Cristo Outfitters. Not trying to piss on your parade just giving sound advice after having been on two sheep hunts in the unit. Rams are very nomadic in the unit and you quite easily could spend two full weeks just trying to locate a mature ram. Best of luck to you.

and the news paper reads; "YET ANOTHER MAN IS STRICKEN WITH OVIS PYREXIA, or commonly called "sheep fever"."

Damn Beech, I also love your excitement. I've been lucky to feel it many times on many sheep hunts!

Zeke

PS: I like you rifle selection. You really can't go wrong with any of the 3 mentioned.

Thats good Zeke.

Thanks for the comments fella's. Ive got the maps in hand and done alot of drooling over them last acouple of days. My research will go into full force now that I have the maps and got a feel of the overlay of the general area.

I have made a decision on going DIY. Im fully aware of the risks but this is an adventure Im ready to tackle. I read somewhere these mountains are sheep friendly mountains, problem is they are not human friendly. Im ready to put my big boy pants on and climb, climb, climb some more. Just as in everything, I believe 90% is mental toughness/awareness. Need to be in shape physically and that Im working on daily basis, but being mentally prepared is key and Ill be ready.

beech,
Nothing wrong with knowing the risks and going for it DIY. My son came very close to eating sheep tag soup on his DIY Utah desert sheep hunt. It is a feeling I never want to have again! We were only hours away from hooking up with an outfitter for the last few days when a nice ram walked into our life. At any rate, with your attitude, I foresee a real adventure ahead of you.

I would throw in a few DEPENDS along with your "big boy pants", just in case! LOL

Good luck and keep us posted

LAST EDITED ON May-15-13 AT 10:44PM (MST)[p]Thanks for the link Robb. Ill check that out.
LBH, I know, those "depends" are always varibles in every hunt that at the time can be a swift kick in the genitles. But in the end, Those usually end up being highlights of lasting memorys of the hunt, good or bad.

Got a rough game plan for the hunt kinda in the outline stages. This is subject to change but intital thoughts are simple. Going to set up a base camp down low. have afew differnt drainages picked out to hunt. Back pack in with 4-5 days of food into a drainage. Plan on staying though hunting for 2-3 days. If the area has promise the first day or 2, got supplies to hang around and hunt the area out. If not, pack out. Re group at base camp and re supply,get a day rest, good base camp food, and repeat in a differnt drainage. Repeat as nessary.

Spent tonight taking the kill locations from the DOW website and making dots on my maps.

Best of luck to you. RMBS and CPW do sheep counts in the unit over the summer. Join RMBS website and ask for help. I know the decent rams in the unit will be at least a mile from any trailhead. Water is a concern this time of year. Beef up on high country reading, specifically in regards to altitude and lightning. Prepare a mental game plan as the unit will test you psychologically. I wish you the best and please leave updates.

I drew the tag in 2003 and never saw a sheep in 5 days of hunting . If I were you I would use a guide or at least talk to a guide like Al and find out everything I could about the unit ITS BIG !! And a lot of drainages to cover, W/ Steep mountains .

Ive talked to many many people so far on this topic. For those who are reading this post and spoke to you. Thank you for all your help for me to put this together. Ought to be a epic adventure for what lies ahead.

Had a kink thown into the mix. My father and I each drew unit 67 CO muzzy elk tags. Kinda forgot about even applying for the elk after I knew I drew the sheep tag. Season overlaps each other. Still waiting for the tags to arrive in the mail. But Im kinda thinking I will be donating the tag fee and turning the tag back (elk tag, not the sheep) in to get my points back however my father keeping his. Look for just 1 bull instead of 2 bulls makes more sence considering the circumstances. Live once, hunt hard, gonna give it pedel to the metal.

I'm in the same boat my wife drew a 61 first rifle tag, I'm going to turn it back in because I drew a S21 tag and just have 1 week vacation. Good problem to have, can't waite to start scouting good luck.

I was in your exact shoes last year,(of course in a different state), I know your full intent of 100% sheep focus. Go after it man DIY! You have what it takes and never look back, go kill that once in a lifetime dream!

It's emotion that you will never,ever,ever,ever feel again!!

ridgelineoutdoors.com

Tonight as I flipped over the June calender of my Swimsuite issue onto July, made me realize, besides the obvious of the women on the calender. I only have to flip over the calender 2 more times before its my month to go sheep hunting!!!
My excitement is building by the day. Ya hoo!!!

tomarrow will be my first scouting trip for S21. We are heading out 5 in the morning and riding into the high country on horse back spending the night doing a bunch of glassing hope to find some rams.

FOCUS beech!!!
And NOT on those Swim suit Women!
Sheep man! Sheep!!!!
LOL

I envy you my friend and hope the experience is all that you have dreamed it will be.

LBH, good post. After reading what you said, I about busted out laughin. Need a good laugh once in a while. For the record, Im focused, on sheep that is. I will say with out the reguards of cant hardley wait till Sept to roll around, I hated to see Kate Upton's June calender page flipped to July.

August 1. Flipped another page on the calender. Only 1 more calender flip and we're in buissness for CO sheep hunting!! Hell Yeah

How has your scouting gone so far? For me I have made 3 trips have seen 31 rams so far but only 1 has got me excited hope he stays in the same basin until season starts. I plan on checking a few more areas out as well. good luck.

Sounds like you've been doing pretty well locating rams in your unit. Best of luck to ya finding your special ram. Hope to see your pictures of you holding the ram at the hunts climax.

I havent personally scouted. I work seasonal and its go time for me till earily part of Sept. Then Im done working and will be living in the hills. Which means no scouting, but on the other hand Ill have weeks of hunting time at my disposal to hunt opposed to most lucky tag holders with 1 week or hunting on weekends... Which I feel off sets the no scouting plus as if I see a ram I like when Im there, I can go after him instead of hoping hes still there when the season rolls around.

I have made some great contacts, made some new friends who have been great to me. Been getting alot of great scouting reports from those who spend alot of time in my unit. Im pretty excited to go check these bands of rams out!!!

The appointed month is almost here. Afew more hours until I get to flip the calendar over onto the month of Sept, which the sheep season is within sight!!!

I'm glad to see you are now focusing on the "sheep season" and not the swimsuit models on the calendar!
Best of luck and keep us posted.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom