San Juan/Elk Ridge deer

Homer must be your sidekick
Don't know him.

When people say " book " that needs to be clarified. SCI is a joke and should not be in any way associated with B&C or P&Y.

If you can't afford the entry fee you can't afford to hunt. do you know what it costs?

The data is the best data we have. you don't discount the data because some people are too cheap to enter or they simply don't qualify. what is entered is valid.

I've scored heads that made book for old guys and young girls and all of them were excited to have a qualified entry. if someone chooses not to enter that's fine. but pissing in someone's pool because you can't get in is pretty lame.

I am not sure if any of this was directed at my post. If it was, I definitely am not discounting the data that does exist and claiming it is false. Nor am I "pissing in someone's pool". I'm just acknowledging that it isn't close to complete. I agree that what IS entered IS valid. However, because it is incomplete it may, or may not be an accurate representation. Personally, I land on the side of entering my animals in the books if they make it. I wish everyone did, but I don't fault them if they don't. I'm sure they have their own personal reasons. As you've asked of us, when I say book(s), I am referring to PY and BC (member of both). Even though there are parts of the scoring systems I don't completely agree with, and I could do without my name in the book, I still support the core values of both organizations. Novel idea that someone can have slightly different opinions on details and still be supportive of the overall group. From your post, I am assuming you are an official measurer, and I applaud you for that. You are volunteering your time and energy to something you care about. If more people did that in one form or another, we'd collectively be in a better place.

The only part I really disagree with you on, is that the reason people don't enter animals is because they are cheap and don't want to spend $40 for the recording fee and/or maintain a membership. I'm sure that is the case for some, but I know plenty of hunters that have far more animals that would qualify than I do, and robust financial means, that choose not to enter them.

And for your question.. For me personally, I'd take the Pauns. If a guy had unlimited time, then I'd lean San Juan/Elk Ridge and focus in the desolate stuff knowing full well I'd likely eat the tag, but could have a chance at a pretty special deer.

Pauns has Been Perty Quiet This Year!

Tight Lipped!

Must of Been Some Good Bucks Taken!

The Feed/Horn Growth Was Better Just About Everywhere In The State This year!

They Always Take A Few Real Nice Bucks Off Of San Juan!

Remember The 45"ER From This Year?

Suposibly From SJ?

Deer Numbers Are Low On The Unit & Have Been!

If You're A Top Notch Archery Hunter This Might Be For You?

If Not You'll Have To Pull a 'jorka' Off!:D

Not Everybody Will Pull That Off On The SJ Rifle Hunt!

They Took Some Better Bucks Off The Henry's This Year As Well!

There's Been A Couple/Few Decent Bucks Come Off All The Units This Year!

But For The Most Part Utah's Deer Herd Is In BIG Trouble!

If you don't know why SCI is a joke you've proven you don't know anything about the " clubs" .

I have the new world record elk, deer and pronghorn and possibly Shiras hanging at the Yellowstone ranch where Beth and I live. but I don't let anyone see them and I won't put them in the book because I don't want the publicity. I can play this game too.

So back to Elk Ridge, if you could dry Elk Ridge or the Pauns in the next year or two which would you take?

Don't know him.

I am not sure if any of this was directed at my post. If it was, I definitely am not discounting the data that does exist and claiming it is false. Nor am I "pissing in someone's pool". I'm just acknowledging that it isn't close to complete. I agree that what IS entered IS valid. However, because it is incomplete it may, or may not be an accurate representation. Personally, I land on the side of entering my animals in the books if they make it. I wish everyone did, but I don't fault them if they don't. I'm sure they have their own personal reasons. As you've asked of us, when I say book(s), I am referring to PY and BC (member of both). Even though there are parts of the scoring systems I don't completely agree with, and I could do without my name in the book, I still support the core values of both organizations. Novel idea that someone can have slightly different opinions on details and still be supportive of the overall group. From your post, I am assuming you are an official measurer, and I applaud you for that. You are volunteering your time and energy to something you care about. If more people did that in one form or another, we'd collectively be in a better place.

The only part I really disagree with you on, is that the reason people don't enter animals is because they are cheap and don't want to spend $40 for the recording fee and/or maintain a membership. I'm sure that is the case for some, but I know plenty of hunters that have far more animals that would qualify than I do, and robust financial means, that choose not to enter them.

And for your question.. For me personally, I'd take the Pauns. If a guy had unlimited time, then I'd lean San Juan/Elk Ridge and focus in the desolate stuff knowing full well I'd likely eat the tag, but could have a chance at a pretty special deer.

Good response, I respect your take on it. but I will say most people put the animal in the B&C book more for the animal than themselves. few people ever get more than one entry, and nobody knows who they are or cares.

Maybe you're right on the cost but I find it hard to believe very many people wouldn't enter an animal over the same amount of money they'd spend on a walmart sweatshirt.

Anyone who doesn't know the history of B&C I'd suggest you read about it. it may change your attitude about records keeping and why it was started in the first place. and it will definitely make you appreciate the conservationists and the work they did that makes it possible for us to still make entries. they assumed the book would be closed many years ago.

Good response, I respect your take on it. but I will say most people put the animal in the B&C book more for the animal than themselves. few people ever get more than one entry, and nobody knows who they are or cares.

Maybe you're right on the cost but I find it hard to believe very many people wouldn't enter an animal over the same amount of money they'd spend on a walmart sweatshirt.

Anyone who doesn't know the history of B&C I'd suggest you read about it. it may change your attitude about records keeping and why it was started in the first place. and it will definitely make you appreciate the conservationists and the work they did that makes it possible for us to still make entries. they assumed the book would be closed many years ago.
Thanks Tog. I also respect your view and can see where you are coming from. And even though I joke about the quirks of the scoring system, I do think that the people involved in making the clubs were ahead of their time with how they thought about the future of the game we all like to chase.

I'm a bit biased as you might expect, but B&C is the original book and the one that counts. SCI is a pee pee measuring contest as far as I'm concerned.

SCI does lots of dumb things to increase the score and make people feel better. and of course, you can buy an animal at the zoo and stab it in a squeeze shoot and enter it. they do some good but it's nothing I'd consider belonging to. unfortunately SCI seems to be the most referenced when the term " book" is used. and maybe why some people have a negative opinion of it all.

But I think we're on the same page basically, we all want the quantity and quality of our herds to improve.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom