San Juan Elk Ridge

goforbroke

Leaving early tomorrow for my archery elk tag and very excited. I was wondering if there is an archery deer tag holder that if I see a big buck, I'll call and share that info, if he was willing to call and share if he saw a big bull. Good luck to all.

I dont know if I would have passed that velvet up, not everyone has a bull in velvet, would look cool up on the wall

Skull Designs: Quality European Mounts at affordable prices

If I had an opportunity on either bull off the trail cam, I don't know if I would pass them up. It's easy to say 350, but after a few days of hunting a big bull with a bow is still awesome. Everything I saw this past week was rubbed hard, but a velvet bull would be awesome.

I saw 9 bulls this weekend (not in your hunting unit).

All but a couple spikes were rubbed clean, 2 were hanging around the cows so I suspect there won't be a velvet bull in your near future.

Good luck on your hunt, keep us posted. I hope to be hunting velvet bucks next year down there.

Zeke

I'm debating if he would, his 5ths look like 13" to me. I'll post another pic of him. He is narrow, but that doesn't effect score much.

Are you saying width doesn't affect the score? Or are you saying the bull is narrow but not THAT narrow? 5" of inside width is a bunch to lose, 10" is even more.

Zeke

HA!! That was my thought too. On my 2010 bull, his 38" spread dropped him from a 350+ class to a 340 :) Width has an effect my friend.

Any SJ report from your hunt yet?

Win, lose or draw, we need a final accounting of the hunt please.

Thanks and good luck,
Zeke

Spent the weekend chasing elk and it was lots of fun. Friday evening I spotted a nice 6 point that I hiked in for on Saturday morning. We couldn't find the original bull, but tried a stalk on a 6X7 around 345. Wind swirled and game over at 60 yards in the thick stuff. First stalk without boots and cactus do hurt! but much quieter. Next morning I was in a different spot with a good bull see attached pics. I only managed about 150 yards away and he was walking faster than I could keep up with. That evening I was in some bugling action. I had a 335 bull blowing his head off about 200 yards away with 8 cows around him. I didn't attempt a stalk, as I'm hoping a bit bigger, I hope I don't regret that decision. 5 bulls in that canyon were talking. Way cool. In general I heard almost no bugling, but it was on that evening. Monday morning a tried for the same bull as in attached pic. I thought he was going to feed up and bed in pines, he went down and bedded in the aspen. Why can't they make this easy!! I put a stalk on and spent one hour within 80-50 yards of him with no shot opportunities. A doe blew my cover as I was waiting for him to move into a shooting lane and game over. Good 3rds, good length, but weak fifths. All though the tilt in so longer than they appear in the picture.
http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/7898sj_elk_2011.jpg

Overall a good weekend. Three stalks on bulls I would put between 345-355. I hope something comes together as I head down on Friday for the last week. I have yet to see something over 370, but lots in the 315 range. I was on the mountain side, but I think I'll try the Elk Ridge side next weekend.

Headed down in less than 36 hours :) Starting to feel some pressure to shoot a bull. Hopefully I'll hold out for a good one, yet not eat tag soup.

Good luck, Find a big one and stick him good.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Had a fun night. A 280 bull to 13 yards and a 320 bull to 11 yards. Not finding big enough. O have a pic of the 280 bull, but can't figure how to upload from my phone.

My buddy shot a bull that went 374 this morning in SJ. Ill let him post pics.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p248/nv_hunter/nevadaanimatedhelmetwd2.gif[/IMG]

That a good Bull. Hope he post soon.

Back off the mountain and happened to get Lucky. I'm going to start a new thread later, but still basking in the moment and enjoying the memories of a fun hunt and harvesting the bull of a lifetime.

Come on Nathan!!! Get a post up with some pics of that bad boy :)

I'm having some serious withdrawls this year and would love to see some San Juan bulls that have hit the dirt.

Congrats,
Pete

Thanks for your help Pete. Great guys like you helped to make this hunt special!! I'll post a pic here and a new thread in the Elk section sometime tonight. Still cleaning up and telling and retelling the story to friends and family.

Wow!!! Stoked for you :)

That is a cool looking bull for sure. Thanks for posting up the pics.

Congrats,
Pete

utah450!

Check your PM!

For GAWDS Sakes Guys,We Got Kids on this Site,Some of them are 65 years Old!:D

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

Cantkillathing, The bull has been scored multiple times and only once was there a score that was under 380! He is a stud! For a reference the inside spread is 46 and change and the beams average about 55 inches. He also has about 25 inches of extra! Do the math. He is a solid 380 class bull.

The 374 score I believe refers to a different bull. I've never posted a score, but I will when 60 days are up and I can get it officially scored.

must be crappy pictures, fronts look really weak, and mass looks really weak, 1 thru 3 seem to weak in those pictures to make it. But pictures are hard to judge, some small bulls look huge and some big bulls look small by the angle of camera.

Good Looking Bull, Glad you was able to get into those bulls and have a good hunt.

come on show us better pictures, I still cant make 374 or 380 out of those pictures. I come up with 348

MB 55 55
Gi 12 12
g2 12 10
g3 11 9
g4 16 16
g5 11 13

extra 15 3

Mass 23 23
Inside Spread 46

Lets see better pictures if you have some.

who cares what it scores??? nowhere does he say that he scored it at 374,380 or even 500..lol..... great bull, with or without a bow....

You were about right on the g2's. everything else add a little. Going to try and get a story published, so I'm not posting more photos yet. All in all it was a great experience and I'm still thrilled. pm me if you want to came and see it and measure for yourself. My last bull I scored at 332 and the official score was 333, so hopefully I'm close. This bull should be in the 380's.

mb 56 54
g1 16 16
g2 12 11
g3 13 11
g4 17 18
g5 13 16

26+ mass
spread 46.5
25 in extras and i left off the eigths

Good job Nate. Some guys don't understand a picture is 2 dimentional. That bulls obviously a giant! Plain and simple. Congrats!!!

Great bull man congrats. It was a tought hunt I shot the 374 bull you are referring to. My pics are on the jackass list b bop started on the elk forum. Congrats again.

That Toyota sure makes him look Big!:D

Kiddin!

He's Big!

Hot Dog,Hot Damn,I love this Ameri-can

Congrats. Very SWEET bull!!! You did very well. Hope to hunt that unit someday myself (18 points and counting).

LAST EDITED ON Jan-04-12 AT 05:57PM (MST)[p]or does he make that toyota look small???.....i think he makes that Toyota look small...lol

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom