San Juan/Elk Ridge

YBO

Long Time Member
I believe I can draw that unit with 18 NR points for deer. Anyone ever see or hear about trophy bucks in that unit? I've heard rumors about some giants albeit very few deer. Any info would be appreciated since I'll never draw the Henrys and the Pauns is not what it use to be. Thanks

Hunted it clear back in 1995 with my dad. We had a great hunt. Saw the biggest deer I've ever seen while hunting. He would have easily scored 200++. Unfortunatly he decided to not cooperate and come home with us. I am dreaming of hunting there again someday to find Mr. Big.

We hunted it it way-back-when and came upon a camp of NR hunters. They queried as to why there were so many hunters this year compared to the last 4-5 years that they'd been hunting it.
I promptly informed them that it was a NEW LIMITED AREA WHICH HAD BEEN CLOSED THE WHOLE TIME THEY'D BEEN HUNTING IT!
They left the area posthaste! Dumbazzes! Or smart? haha
Zeke

I sent you a PM. I hunted it in 2013 (rifle non-resident)and there has to be a better unit to expend 18 points. I cannot apply and probably will not build points again so no reason to blow smoke. I drew with four points. If you are a non-resident and expect to shoot a 170" plus you will need to hire a guide or have lots of time to scout.

I took a pretty good buck on day six but only saw one better (it had just been shot). I saw several guys shooting 130" to 140" bucks because that was the biggest they were seeing. I do know there was a giant killed during this hunt by a very good guide/client. They had been watching this deer since 2012.

Not sure if 18 points is enough for the NR muzzy tag. I appreciate the info. I will make contact to those that private messaged me. Thanks

My neighbor drew this tag last year, he never pulled the triger. Said he never saw anything bigger than 22-24 inch wide Buck, Sorry!! Good Luck!!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-16-14 AT 03:31AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-16-14 AT 03:30?AM (MST)

I drew this unit on the general rifle last year with 7 points and took my 31" plus 5x4 buck. A Wider one was with him just weak crab clawed. I had never scouted it before and there were 26"-28" 3x4's right off the side of the road not even afraid of you. Alot of those deer where taken by lazy hunters not knowing what tag they had. If you are patient you can harvet 200" on this unit. 2 bigger deer were taken that were better then mine. This is a giant unit alot of land. I will put in for it again but as luck has it I drew the late season elk for with 4 points this year can't wait?
31421021130959-2-2.jpg

5917dsc_0289.jpg

Thanks PleaseDear, does he need some info on unit. I have made friends with the dnr and have learned alot about the unit.

Good for you Scotty!!

7rum--thanks man as I am sure the Ole Marine has seen this thread and may have already contacted you.

Robb

They actually say the the archery tag is the tag to have from what I have heard and also talking to a friend in Blanding. Is put alot of focus on the S. Elk Ridge near the bears ears during that hunt. They stick 200" bucks every year around there.

Just Think Bucky!

With all the Giants You say can be taken on a General Tag!

I can't Imagine what You'll be seeing with that LE Tag in Hand!

Best of Luck to You & A!

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

YBO----

Girl you getting any good intel from this thread?

I hope so----18 non-ressy points don't come cheap after all those years.

Congrats on your drawn Gagger Cali unit tag!!

Robb

Thanks Bess

You know im lucky I get to hunt a general unit every year with bucks that can rival any unit in this state. While its true if you put in the time you can find bucks every year over 190" its also a fact you will be hunting them with hundreds of other hunters. So its like hitting the lottery if you get a shot at one of the good ones. The thing with me is ive had my chances at bucks over 190" but the fever always gets the best of me and I stroke the shot and someone else gets the deer. It will be nice hunting this year with 9 other hunters. Time will tell if i get a chance at a good buck let alone kill it. After all it is bowhunting and in bowhunting you basically have to have the stars align to get it done. who knows if i dont find what im looking for i may just give the tag to my daughter and let her shoot what ever she wants.

My expectations arent really that high. I like mass, narrow, wide, and extras. I also like unique mature bucks like wide 3x4's, big 4x1's ect. basically something you dont see every day on general tags.

Im just glad to be out of the deer system so I can get in the elk.

who farted?

Scott----

You are about the only guy I know that seems to put a Muley in P&Y most every year off General unit bow buck tags.

Glad ya got out of the wait for a Henry's bow buck tag.

You taking your daughter on the scouting/hunting trips?

Robb

LAST EDITED ON Jun-19-14 AT 07:36AM (MST)[p]If I had to choose, I'd take the archery tag there first over muzzy and rifle on SJ..

Your in for an AWESOME hunt SW ...

Bet there's a big buck standing next to Duck lake as I type this!

EDT: spl

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

Robb
I plan on taking my kids down scouting. Im just waiting for the bucks to grow out a bit more. Im thinking middle to later in July. This should help me get a taste of the caliber bucks ill be chasing. Ill then head down a few days before the opener and get a first day shooter tied up. If that doesnt work ill burn some gas in the wheeler for a week looking for a good one. If that still doesnt work ill let my kid shoot a buck on the weekend and come home. Either way ill have fun.

Ive had a good run on general bucks in utah taking 8 nice bucks in the last ten years with my bow. I think i could care less if I ever shoot another buck after this year. I need to start working on other animals and get a wall like yours.

Look out Bess im in the elk pool now :)

>Robb
>I plan on taking my kids
>down scouting. Im just waiting
>for the bucks to grow
>out a bit more. Im
>thinking middle to later in
>July. This should help me
>get a taste of the
>caliber bucks ill be chasing.
>Ill then head down a
>few days before the opener
>and get a first
>day shooter tied up. If
>that doesnt work ill burn
>some gas in the wheeler
>for a week looking for
>a good one. If that
>still doesnt work ill let
>my kid shoot a buck
>on the weekend and come
>home. Either way ill have
>fun.
>
>Ive had a good run on
>general bucks in utah taking
>8 nice bucks in the
>last ten years with my
>bow. I think i could
>care less if I ever
>shoot another buck after this
>year. I need to start
>working on other animals and
>get a wall like yours.
>
>
>
>Look out Bess im in the
>elk pool now :)

I'll sell you 18 WORTHLESS Elk Points Bucky!:D

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

Make that 19 Elk Points sw!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-19-14 AT 07:22PM (MST)[p]Lol ill take em. By the time ill get a tag ill be able to tell my grand kids how there was once elk all over the place as they look at all the oil spills and steam lines.

who farted?

I drew a San Juan deer tag in 2009. Have had family members draw the tag every year since. I shot a sweet double main beam buck (was on my bucket list). We have seen a few great deer over the last five years. In my opinion it is one of the most beautiful places on earth. There are nowhere near the numbers of deer that there were in the 90's. There are more bear tags given out on that unit than deer tags. At the end of the day, it is one of the funnest deer hunts around. I will never put in for another deer unit in Utah other than San Juan/Elk Ridge. However, with that said, it only takes around 12 points to draw San Juan deer and if I had 18 points, I would put in for the Pauns or the Alton CWMU. You will not regret hunting San Juan with 18 points, but you most likely will not kill a 200"+++ that everyone talks and dreams about. There is always a chance and every limited entry unit has a "buck of a lifetime" deer. I just think your chances are better on the Pauns or CWMU around the Pauns. Just my two cents for what it is worth. Can't wait to see you pictures either way.

SW-

Just curious how many points you had to draw the tag? We have been putting in as a group the past 15 years for Archery now and still haven't drawn. Figured this was our year for sure having a group average of 13 points (2 with 14 points and 2 with 13). Next Year we will only have a group of 3 with an average of 14 points (My Uncle passed away last month due to Cancer).

Thanks--

Brad

Brad if you were putting in for the archery tag you do realize you were screwing yourself putting in as a group dont you. There was only four bonus tags this means if you were not the verry first tag drawn you guys wont ever get a tag.

I had 13 points

who farted?

Outside who said anything about 18 points?
If you had 18 points you could hunt the henry mountains with an archery tag.
It also will also take more points than 12 to hunt the san juan. If you have less than 12 or equal to 12 points you may never draw it again. Point creep is that bad.
the San Juan is a great tag. The deer numbers may be low but Its better than the pauns hunt for taking a decent buck over 170". Killing a two hundred inch buck with anyweapon is a tall order on any unit in this state.

This site sucks for posting with a phone!

Thanks for the reply SW.

So I am not 100% sure how the bonus tags work, etc... Could you explain how this works??

So we would be better off putting in as singles next year with 15 points, 15 points and 14 points respectively??

Thanks--

Snkyhuntr
Yes, You guys would be better off putting in as singles.
Look at it this way if one guy draws, you all get the knowledge of that hunt. Just think if you're the 3rd guy to draw. It will be like you have hunted that unit at least two times already in the last few years. Good Luck in the draws next year.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Thanks PleaseDear, does he need some info on unit. I have made friends with the dnr and have learned alot about the unit.
Hi, my dad drew this unit. He is 77 years old. He didn't have time to draw the Henry's etc. This will be his last hunt, we have been struggling finding a big buck while scouting. If you can help in anyway it would be greatly appreciated. His hunt starts next Saturday

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom