San Rafael North Antelope

buckbagr

My wife drew a tag this year. Will be her first ever big game hunt. Would love to hear any places to get started or what to expect. I live close and can scout often.

I know where a nice one is, in a area no one really looks at on the unit. The downside is I am afraid with you only posting two times on here that if I tell you the GPS coordinates you won't post photos of him.

?If men were angels, no government would be
necessary.? John Adams

I've frequented the sight forever. Just never had much luck at drawing. I have posted pictures of my kids antelope and deer a few years back. Both were in Wyoming. You'll see pics.

Also deerslayer, not looking for exact gps coordinates. It has probably moved anyway. I have been out a couple of times now and seen a couple decent bucks. Just don't want my wife to compete with the other 20 hunters for the 15 goats along US6. Like I stated this is my wifes first hunt and don't care for a Boone and Crockett type buck. Just a decent buck that will give her time to find it in the scope and shoot. Basically let her enjoy the experience. A lot of game and plenty of action. Thanks for your help.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-12-15 AT 02:51PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-12-15 AT 01:30?PM (MST)

If you are looking for an out of the way place with less hunters and less antelope, There is a herd on the southwest side, east of Ferron and Moore but they are harder to find. Back in the canyons not right outside of town.

Appreciate the info. I have been along 6, and there are quite a few antelope. I am hoping to find some that aren't to excited mainly for my wife's sake. I didn't mean to dis you in my other post. I would imagine come opening day there will be a lot of traffic along that road. We have been out through the dessert a couple of times and it appears that most of the goats are along 6. The rest of the area seemed fairly disappointing. Do they spread out a little come September or is this the way it is?

Thanks will look into this tonight. My kids hunted Wyoming last year. There were tons of goats. I guess I figured there would be more antelope.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-12-15 AT 02:54PM (MST)[p]No hunting them in either Rafael unit is night and day from Wyoming both in numbers and approach. The really big goats will hide in the sagebrush all day and won't be visible till they go to water. Plus our antelope units are managed for opportunity not trophy quality...this surprises some.

Sorry man I am fairly new at this I don't even know how to access a pm. Thanks for trying. I will put some pics up if she can seal the deal. I drew a book cliffs north tag this year also should be a fun fall. I hunted it in 2000 and did ok. I've heard it's gone down hill though. Oh well if I can't find a big one My daughter will be along for the hunt. She has gotten 3 deer in the last three years. Her biggest was a 20" 3 point last year in Wyoming.

7879dscn0565.jpg

Go to Forums, Before the forms on the right side says inbox. If you still can't figure it out post your email on here.

necessary.? John Adams

Got the PM deerslayer thank you. Will do our best to check this out. This is south/west of 6 and north of 70 and east of 10. So yes I would say its below 6. Thanks again all.

Hopefully he is around during your hunt. I know they will move but usually only when pressured or rutting.

necessary.? John Adams

my bad I was thinking south of 70, go luck to you and your wife

How to start an argument online:
1. Express an opinion
2. Wait

Welp hunt starts tomorrow. Found quite a few bucks. Still can't tell the difference between a mediocre buck and a giant, nut wife just wants a pretty buck and most of them are that. Thanks to those that replied and helped on this hunt. Hopefully we'll get some pics this weekend. Thanks again

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom