Sandhill Buck

bowhunter

Unit 31 got to love the sand!!

1013150.jpg

Wow Good looking Buck.
Just under 28" Guessing.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

How can you justify shooting at a deer 100yds away with a bow. An animal of that size deserves more respect than that. I'll bet money you have wounded and loss other deer over the years shooting those kinds of distances.

You call yourself an ethical hunter better check again.....

>How can you justify shooting at
>a deer 100yds away with
>a bow. An animal of
>that size deserves more respect
>than that. I'll bet money
>you have wounded and loss
>other deer over the years
>shooting those kinds of distances.
>
>
>You call yourself an ethical hunter
>better check again.....

Not trying to start a fight, but he is shooting one of the fastest bows on the market (352 fps ibo??) and with enough practice I've seen people shoot excellent groups at that range.

You call him an unethical hunter. Do you know him? I think before you just start throwing out insults you should know who you are talking about. Would you consider a 40 yard shot ethical if the person has never shot before? Probably not, but if the person practiced everyday then no one has an issue. I think the same applies to 100 yards. Instead of questioning his ethics, how about congratualting him on a monster buck. Just my 2 cents...

Just a little info on me Sakoman. I have wounded animal before 2 with a bow one mule deer at 10 yards and one at 40 yds never found them. I have also wounded an elk with a muzzle loader shot him at 70yd never found him. But I have Killed 3 animals at over 80 yds with a BOW yes a Bow the first was a antelope shot him at 88 yds the second was a mule deer in a 20 mile and hour cross wind at 82 yds. The third is the deer at the top of the page he was also shot in a cross wind . A little more history about me I have been hunting since I could walk I learned to hunt from my great grandfather my grand father and my dad. So if you want to talk ##### about my ethics then you are disrespecting my family because I was taught ethics from day one. You ever want to put a little money on my shooting ability let me know other wise don't ever comment on one of my post again.

Ninja Turtle very well said thanks for the positive comment.

Nice Deer...Great shot, but do your self and all of us bow hunters a favor. Please never mention distance on the internet!

I'm a resident in unit 31 and you're the reason I've seen deer walking around chasing does in January with arrows sticking out of them. Always have to call the game warden to make the determination on what he will have to do about the injured deer.

impo 100 yds is too far for any bow on any live critter. too many variables when flinging sticks. bow hunting is an awesome way to hunt but you have to know your personal limitations and stick to them. I to have seen too many wounded deer and elk running around the woods with arrows hanging out of them after the bow hunts have ended. It reflects a bad image of bow hunters to anyone who sees arrow injured critters running around.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-01-14 AT 05:56PM (MST)[p]At first I thought you were unethical now I think you are an idiot. You actually shot at an animal of that distance in a crosswind of 20 MPH. How many times did you shoot at this deer before you finally hit him in the a$$. You and your kind are the reason real hunters get bad reputations. Wounding animals and letting them run off with arrows sticking out of them to die somewhere to waste away is not cool. How many deer did you hit that got away on this hunt before you tagged this one. You are a joke as a true sportsman.

Ninja Turtle I do not know him am glad I don't I would not want to association with someone of his hunting ethics.

After reading the other blogs on this I am not the only one who feels this way.

100 yards is way too far. You missed your point of aim by over 3' or your point of aim was about as ethical as your shot distance. I don't know you or how much you practice but it is irrelevant. I have talked to professional target archers who are much more accurate than me (and likely you) who have 70 yard limits on hunts. I love to practice long range and I believe everybody should practice beyond hunting distances. But in the field restraint must be king. The long range craze is out of control. Just my opinion, but I think most archers should be limiting themselves to 40 yards and most rifle hunters 200 yards (or less).

All that being said, buck fever can cause some pretty bad decisions. I don't blame you if you got caught up in the minute. However, justifying bad decisions instead of taking responsibility is a whole different thing.

Whether or not I agree with your manner of take, it is legal, and it is one beautiful buck.

Cory

Nice buck!I would ignore the negative sh#t here,just think how many deer are wounded opening day of rifle season probably thousands.

This is not an assault on bow hunting. All "hunters" need to understand their limitations and the limitations of their equipment (usually the hunter is much more limited than their equipment). I believe bow hunters as a whole are much better at understanding this. I used to be a rifle hunter only and thought it was a more ethical way to hunt. Enough time in the field and interactions with other "hunters" led me to know that both rifle and bow hunters have to choose to be ethical. Many of each every year wound and lose many unnecessary animals. If, and only if, each individual hunter chooses to have reasonable limitations will this number be minimal. Regardless of the decisions made in the field, most hunters will eventually wound and lose animals. But proper and honest understanding of themselves and their equipment will make this the exception and not the rule.

Anybody that has ever duck hunted Bernardo has either done or seen sky busting at it's finest. Sadly, many big game "hunters" subscribe to this spray and pray mentality. I have heard many people justify it by saying it was "my only opportunity" or "you can't kill an elk unless you shoot". I have also heard several people call their 500 yard animal a one shot kill because only 1 of their 5 shots hit the animal. This thought process is wrong, and in the long run causes more damage good. It hurts our reputation as hunters and it hurts management, as more animals are killed by hunters each year than are reported, and G&F cannot understand the data. Personally for me, I want to look at the picture or the animal on the wall (or even that unfilled tag) and be proud of the decisions that gave it to me. Some "hunters just want the animal on the wall regardless of the decisions involved.

Many ranch only hunts have a policy that says if you draw blood your hunt is over, whether or not you recover. I have also seen hunters on draw hunts call it over with a hit and lost animal. There are also occasions when a hit animal is lost and it is plenty ethical for the hunter to continue hunting. This type of personal responsibility is what our society as a whole lacks and hunting, sadly, is no different.

It's not just archers muzzy guys and rifle guys are just as bad. Congrats on a good deer. I found 2 160+" deer after the muzzy season after I saw a line of hunters on a sand hill open fire into this group of deer. Saw them drag 2 out and watched the others bed. Went out a stalk on one and my buddy got him. Went out in rifle with a couple of my buddies in the same area saw crows flying and guess what..... Dead deer. Personally I frown upon those distances in archery because of the margin for error but as I tell all my hunters if your comfortable then that's on you.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom