Sandhill Crane?

ELKMAN

I drew a sandhill crane hunt on the MRGV for Jan.

Does anyone have suggestions, or someone to contact?

I drew it too. I have also hunted it in the past several times. Kinda depends on which hunt you drew. If you have a late hunt I would set up on the river first thing before dark. They will go up and down the river some first thing. After that I would head to the ditch adjacent to the river. You can then just set up on the ditch and watch for where they are crossing and adjust as necessary. They generally cross in the same spot.

If you have the early hunt you might put some to bed the night before and then set up as close as you can for first shooting light.

Either way bring big shot, as big as you can get, and go for the wings or head when they are up high with the SW Airlines jets. Those birds can take a hit to the body and keep trucking like nothing else.

Pm me with any questions. I live in San antonio and have a small farm and feed a lot of them dam crane all winter lol. Farm is open to hunting to good ethical hunters.

I have hunted cranes a lot. Never there though. They are the toughest bird of all to affectively decoy. It is a blast when it works though! It is like shooting a pterodactyl out of the sky. They are great to eat as well.

Check out Rinella's recent MeatEater podcast. It's got me thinking of putting in for them next year since they are all around Socorro, where I live.

Good luck!

>Hey NM,
>
>I sent you a PM.
>
>I am still looking for pointers
>on the flying ribeye!
>
>Thanks

Never got the PM, yea I am definetly interested in shooting some crane down the road. Sounds like a fun thing to do in Jan. Rather give the money to NMGF than TX..

>Hey coach NM,
>
>I was referring to NMRED, but
>you can gladly attend this
>adventure!

Dont I feel stupid. Good thing I'm not proud.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom