Schnees Boots

Jingow,

I've had a pair of hunters II's for a little over a year now. There are very good boots for use in cold and snow. They are much lighter than the Sorrel type pack boots and a bit more nimble. they are still a pac boot though and suffer in the hiking department.

They are better for hiking and walking in snow conditions than Sorels but not as good as a insulated hiking boot. Since they have removeable liners you can exchange them for dry ones if you are in a situation where your boots won't dry out overnight.

I like mine but I still have insulated hiking boots too.

BeanMan

I wouldn't buy a pair a Pac Boots today. Buy a pair of tall insulated hiking boots, buy them big enough to put some "toasty toes" or what ever they call them, you know the little packets you can buy, break open, shake and stays warm for like 8 hours.
If you are walking, you won't need them. If you are stand hunting or horse back riding, your feet will stay nice and warm.
I don't wear my sorrels anymore, they are a pain to walk in, and my feet got cold. The only difference between traditional Sorrels and Schnees is the Schnees are tapperd for horse back ridding. With the Variaty of thinsulate, goretex leather boots, I believe them old heavy pac boots with 1/2" felt liners are obsolite.

Thanks guys, I was drifting to the Lowa's but had to check out all options. Still in the dark because I'm very particular. I have flat feet and need the best or it is pure torture. Sorrels are skiing ,beer drinking boots. The last hunt with them and after 5 miles I was dragging. Jim

Try the Mendl Denali from Cabela's. I just got back from a full day of chukar huntintg (sidehilling) and we climbed at least 2000 ft. Had some slight burn, but nothing unusual. I've used them in some real nasty stuff including the Hoback over the last 2 years. If you are not moving they will not keep you warm. I've heard great things about the LOWA sheephunters as well, especially if you have slim feet. I have really putmy Denali's through at least 50 days of hard core hunting and the only complaint I have is with slightly bent eyelits!

The Hunter II's are not tapered for horseback riding and have a combo thinsulate/wool felt liner that is much thinner than the old Sorrel style. They are much lighter and handier than Sorrels.

But, they are not as good for hiking as inulated hiking boots. I like my pair but use them when hunting only for very cold and snow when I'm not likely to make a major hike.

My feet swet quite a lot and even with a liner sock and wool sock plus insulation they get cold after a day in insulated boots if I can't dry them out (like in a back country camp). I tried vapor barrier socks too which work in my backcountry ski boots but not as well in boots.

The disposable O2 activated foot warmers are a god send, don't go into the woods without them.

BeanMan

My feet are wide. If they are slim socks cramp. I also have some good input about Danners but I can't give boots a triel run. Money is'nt an issue because you got to treat the dogs right or it will bite you in the end. Thanks again Jim

I have had my Schnee's for some time now. I wouldn't wear anything else if cold/wet weather was probable. During a warmer/drier hunt insulated leather hunting boots are preferable. I have found it is safer to use oversize stirrups with any type pack boot, especially ones with agressive tread like Schnee's.

Phantom Hunter

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom