Scouting the Book's

desperatehills

Very Active Member
I will be in the Book Cliffs this Saturday-Wenesday. I have been looking at my maps and want to spend one day in the wilderness even though most people don't think I need to go in there. I likely will hunt outside the wilderness but the thought of finding a big buck in there is appealing. I want to enter at ten-mile knoll and hike south down diamond ridge 3 or 4 miles. I will take the small ridges off the main trail and glass the canyons. Using the elevation tool on my mapping software it looks like I will lose less than a thousand feet in elevation with my plan. During the hunt I would drop lower in the canyon to chase a buck but scouting I plan on staying near the ridge. Am I wasting my time? More important, is ther any water up high on that ridge or will I need to pack all my water or drop down? I thought I saw springs on my mapping software but looking tonight I didn't find them. It must have been somewhere else I saw them. I am taking bivy gear with me but if there is no water I may just hike in for the day. Any suggestions?

I have not dropped in before, so I do not have the exact answers. However, most of the water away from the "Cow Ponds" by the roads will be in the bottom of the canyons or close to the bottom of the side canyons. You may have to drop down to the bottom of Willow to get water and then hike out. Good luck, hopefully someone with more knowledge of the roadless can give more specific answers

Pretty sure there isn't any water on the top of the ridge, You will have to drop down in the bottom to find water.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Got on here to late to help you before leaaving. But, when you get back and need to know where water is I can help. Been off Dimond Ridge a lot.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom