Scouting trip

505Hunter

Well just got back from our scouting trip for our elk hunt in unit 9. It was... Well... Exciting. My grandparents were up there a few days before the family headed out. They spotted a nice 5x5 but that was it Thursday. However, on Saturday my brother and I were out riding the trails in the CanAm and came upon a few cow elk and got cut off on the road by about 12 turkeys.

What made the trip though? Here's the story. My brother is new to hunting. He's undecided on if he wants to do it or not. So, we are taking him out on our elk hunt as a test. We loaded up as a family on Saturday morning and headed out as if we were hunting. We got to our spot and as we were walking through the brush, my dad and him was taking point up front while my mom and I were walking in the back, and all of a sudden my dad moves his hands in a stop motion. So we stop, and noticed a bull (just a little spike) grazing around. It was absolutely perfect to see my brother in such awe. It really was a heart warming moment. After returning to the truck he was so happy and excited I knew we probably got him hooked. I can't wait for the elk hunt to see if he really wants to pursue this (I hope so).

On a side note, in one of our spots that we've worked so hard on finding, I noticed a game camera attached to a tree watching over the tank. Me being my selfish self, was aggravated by this as I have worked my butt off to find this spot. But I guess I can't be to upset, as someone else put the same effort into finding this spot and obviously saw the interest we saw in it. I'm hoping it's an archery hunter and not muzzle loader. Otherwise it'll be a fight to get there.

In conclusion, it was a great trip given the amount of animals and wildlife we saw and the memories and time with the family we spent. It was still warm, so that is why I believe we did not see as much elk as we usually do, but I feel like it should be a pretty good season when winter hits in October. Also, seeing those turkeys made me wish I had a tag and it was season... I always see those damn birds during the off season. But never when I want to hunt them. Oh well though.
Hope you all enjoyed the story, and good luck to the hunts that are soon to start. It's almost time!

BRUIN4L,

That was the exact thought that went through my head, lol.
The first shot will be of me looking at it across the tank.
The second-ten shots will be of me walking over to it to confirm that it is a camera.
And finally the last eleven-fifteen shots are of my family walking over to it and all of us staring at it lol.

Oh, and the couple of shots in the evening of my grandad and my girlfriend and I riding in the canam, boy maybe that will be enough for him to move. HA

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom