SFW Chapter supports transfer of public lands...

I don't know what SFW's official position is on this topic but given SFW's position on stream access, landowner tags, conservation permits, convention permits and the recent resolution from the Dixie Chapter, I would assume that they support the proposed transfer. Plus, given SFW's cozy relationship with our politicians, they would be poised to have significant input on how those lands were managed (and sold off) following the transfer.

Perhaps someone from SFW will chime in and clarify their official position? I doubt it but we may be surprised.

Hawkeye

"The professional market hunter . . . and the rich people who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions - these are the men who are the real enemies of game."
Theodore Roosevelt

$FW was in support of taking away your access to rivers and streams. Doesn't surprise me one bit they are in support of taking away your public lands. I'm sure that slimeball Peay has a lot of friends who would love to buy auctioned off Utah public land.

Not to mention $FW could get their slimy paws in the land auctioning game. They could even auction off land at the Hunt expo and make even more $$$$ off Utah's public resources.

It's either gonna be, "I don't agree with everything
$FW does" or full on Cliven Bundy TeaBag, "We don't
Need no stinking Gubmint tellin us how to
Run out state". Murika!!

Let's get on with it Koolaid crew.

"The future is large scale auction tags.
The majority of the tags should go up
for auction anually. It MIGHT even be
good to allow second sales of auction
tags as in outfitters purchasing tags
and then re-selling them to the public."
TRISTATE 8/17/2012

I'm an SFW member so take all the shots you want BUT I am in total disagreement with any transfer of Federal lands to the State of Utah. Dixie SFW got this one WRONG!!!!

I'll do everything within my power to throw support to retaining public land access.

I know the Feds have pulled a few crappy things but it's way better than allowing the State to sell off chunks every time they decide not to balance the budget.... and we all know that's what would happen.

State control = ability to sell, trade or lease = hunters get forked!

Love, Zeke

Zeke-

I certainly am not taking any shots at you. In fact, we need more people like you. I know many friends and fellow sportsmen that are members of SFW. Over the last few years, several of them have reached out to me privately and told me that they agreed with the push for more accountability and transparency. Frankly, if anyone can influence the position of SFW, it will be the members of SFW. SFW can easily ignore the rest of us and label us as whiners and haters. Good luck pushing for change from within.

Hawkeye

"The professional market hunter . . . and the rich people who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions - these are the men who are the real enemies of game."
Theodore Roosevelt

There are lots of arguments- pros and cons- about the land transfer idea, but the one thing that can't be argued is that the federal regulations governing federal land management are overblown and unproductive- oftentimes being the biggest obstacle to getting anything done on our federal lands.

If transferring the lands to the state did nothing but nullify all of the burdensome regulations currently in place at the federal level which make productive land management a nightmare, it would make a strong case for the move.

I don't need an official statement from SFW to know their position on the Land Grab. They are first and foremost a lobby organization and I have seen no proof of lobbying to prevent the Land Grab.

I have seen no mass-emails from SFW telling me to sign a petition telling Governor Herbert to veto Land Grab legislation or to contact my Legislature and rally against it.

Just last week, when RMEF stood in the Utah Capitol Rotunda and lobbied the State Legislature to leave Federal lands alone, SFW had no official capacity at all. Don Peay did not take the microphone and speak on behalf of SFW members against the Land Grab.

The silence is deafening. As far as I am concerned, SFW made their bed and now they can sleep in it.

PS. If SFW is merely a collection of its members, and its members do nothing to change the action, or inaction, of their leaders, aren't the members culpable? Who is SFW if not a collection of their members? I'm certainly not taking personal shots at the average member, just imploring them to instigate change from within. Let the State know that you are more than just an SFW member and that SFW doesn't speak for you on this.

Grizzly

Hey Hawkeye,
do you know when there contract is up?and do you think our lovely fish and game people will renew it?im talking about the expo and tags the SFW get.we all here at MM appreciate your knowledge and insight pertaining to this much heated topic.

SnowsNBlues-

I don't want to distract from the original post but to answer your question the current contract between the DWR and MDF/SFW covers the Expo Permit Series from 2012 through 2016. Therefore, next year's Expo will be the last Expo covered by the current agreement. However, the DWR and the Wildlife Board just amended Expo Permit Rule and will be negotiating a new agreement with the conservation groups later this year. Any conservation group interested in the next 5-year set of Expo permits must submit a proposal to the DWR between August 1st and September 1st of this year.

Hawkeye

"The professional market hunter . . . and the rich people who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions - these are the men who are the real enemies of game." Theodore Roosevelt

As long as I get to define "PRODUCTIVE LAND MANAGEMENT" count me in.
If it's left up to Mike Noel, Don Peay or Ken Ivory to define what that is, as a hunter
fisherman or outdoorsman, I'd hope we look past party affiliation and examine their past track records.

It ain't a rosy picture.

TRISTATE 8/17/2012

Regarding the Wyoming Bill: "All of the state?s sportsmen and conservation organizations oppose the bill. Conversely, Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife, the Utah-based group that promotes private management and commercialization of wildlife, supports the bill, according to Bob Wharff, SFW?s representative for Wyoming."

Bob is the SFW puppet and you know who's pulling his strings!

Come On ww!

I Think PEAYDAY wants to chat with you!:D

We laugh, we cry, we love
Go hard when the going's tough
Push back, come push and shove
Knock us down, we'll get back up again and again
We are Members of the Huntin Crowd!

Maybe whoever Buys the Alcatraz Buck Tag next year can purchase the Island as Well?

Believe it or not I did reach out to Peayday about
A month back.

I don't think he wants to speak to me CAT.

TRISTATE 8/17/2012

Was You RUDE ww?

>Believe it or not I did
>reach out to Peayday about
>
>A month back.
>
>I don't think he wants to
>speak to me CAT.
>
>
>
>"The future is large scale auction
>tags.
>The majority of the tags should
>go up
>for auction anually. It MIGHT even
>be
>good to allow second sales of
>auction
>tags as in outfitters purchasing tags
>
>and then re-selling them to the
>public."
>TRISTATE 8/17/2012

Nope, just asked a simple question via text message.

TRISTATE 8/17/2012

And the Answer is?

The question was.
Is your boy Mike Noel proposing to raid
An earmarked fund for Phragmite removal
to give to Big Game Forever??

Didn't hear squat.

Big game hunting in Utah is a fiasco. Whatever, it's a lost cause.
When they've milked deer and elk and wolf hysteria to the limit
And they have to turn to waterfowl and GSL user funds you bet
Your CAT ass I'm gonna start asking questions.

TRISTATE 8/17/2012

So ww?

They're Dippin in to your Quackers now?

CAT, that's what a legislative bird dog told me.
I couldnt confirm it so I went straight to the source.

As I said there was no reply.

Yep CAT, apparently consulting fee's and lobbyists
Ain't growing on damn trees.

TRISTATE 8/17/2012

I don't see why you Utahans are so upset about all the $FW BS. You have Ryan Benson protecting you from the big bad wolf and the evil sage grouse which is costing Utah 250,000 jobs(LMAO!) Now the Utarded legislator wants to give Benson $2 million more with no accountability. Come on now, the Benson's are perfectly trustworthy.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=29895888&nid=

Utah has a track record of handing out money and tags like candy without requiring any real level of accountability or transparency in return. That is exactly why hunters and sportsmen are concerned about what would happen if the State suddenly received 31.2 million acres of federal land.

Hawkeye

Theodore Roosevelt

Birdman,
That's a real concern with the Feds still controlling the lands in the West.

There's no doubt that the States COULD manage the lands. The issue becomes the sale, lease trade or any other privatization of public land which would, at the least, negatively impact our outdoor activities and potential alter out way of life.

I don't think the States would immediately sell it all but it would happen on a scale which would be alarming, no doubt.

Thanks for the link. Certain factions within the Federal Gov at not our friends.
Zeke

I'm not convinced States are always going to be more friendly to hunters than the Feds. A decade ago the thought of any Western states voting for gun control and a Democrat in the Presidential Election was laughable.

Now Colorado and New Mexico are nearly-dependable Democratic states, Oregon and Washington are lost causes and Colorado went as far as electing people that passed gun control, and then re-electing their Governor.

Are we sure that Arizona isn't going to follow suit and become a blue state, too? Nevada is shifting as well.

Wyoming, Utah, and Idaho are probably safe for awhile from gun control and anti-hunting sentiment... but the rest are up for grabs or already changing. I'm not entirely sure some of these states will always legalize hunting on State-owned property.

The best thing we have going about the Feds is they are so completely inept, that they can't get anything done. And that includes closing hunting on Federal land.

Grizzly

I find it interesting that people are scared to death of names like Noel and Ivory, but seem to insinuate that they are comfortable with names like Obama, Reed, Pelosi, Schummer, etc.

All of the arguments against state control seem to be worse at the federal level than at the state level. At the very least, it's hard to argue that we wouldn't have a significantly better chance of voting the bums out of office at the state level than at the national level for the very practical reason that we don't even have a vote for many of the national politicians who are ramming these regulations down our throats.

Interestingly, Griz's argument about the feds being more inept than the state thus making it more unlikely they would ever really be able to restrict hunting may have some merit, but it has the feel of justifying hiring a druggy as a babysitter.

>I find it interesting that people
>are scared to death of
>names like Noel and Ivory,
>but seem to insinuate that
>they are comfortable with names
>like Obama, Reed, Pelosi, Schummer,
>etc.
>
>All of the arguments against state
>control seem to be worse
>at the federal level than
>at the state level.
>At the very least, it's
>hard to argue that we
>wouldn't have a significantly better
>chance of voting the bums
>out of office at the
>state level than at the
>national level for the very
>practical reason that we don't
>even have a vote for
>many of the national politicians
>who are ramming these regulations
>down our throats.
>
>Interestingly, Griz's argument about the feds
>being more inept than the
>state thus making it more
>unlikely they would ever really
>be able to restrict hunting
>may have some merit, but
>it has the feel of
>justifying hiring a druggy as
>a babysitter.

Wildman, what gun control law has passed Congress and been signed by a President in the last 15 years? I can't think of any major bills, but they did allow the Clinton Assault Weapon Ban to expire.

How many states have passed gun control laws in the same time frame (assault rifles, magazine limits, handgun control, folding stocks, background checks, etc...)? States are far more effective at banning things than the federal government. There are states that ban hunting with dogs, hunting with lead bullets, hunting certain predators, hunting on Sunday, etc... but no federal ban on that.

I rest my case.

Grizzly

LAST EDITED ON Mar-12-15 AT 03:36PM (MST)[p]What I find interesting is the lack of thought put into the whole idea, and that there are any individuals, let alone "sportsmens" organizations that think this is a good idea.

Many are failing to grasp the most simple of known facts regarding State and Federal Management and the differences. Differences that are very stark when compared.

The mandate on most State properties is to maximize money for the School Trust. That means, extractive uses, leasing, etc. to make money, that's the directive. Wildlife is not a consideration, recreation on State lands is a very distant "thought", as a best case.

In the case of Federal ownership, MUSYA, NEPA, etc. all apply. That ensures that recreation, wildlife, etc. are given equal consideration under the law when decisions are made on how best to manage our Federal Lands.

As cumbersome as the Federal laws may be, at least hunters, fishermen, wildlife, recreationists, etc. all have a seat at the table. We also have a legal avenue to ensure that our interests are given consideration, as well as a way to force federal agencies into compliance.

Not much, if any, of that is applicable to State Lands.

Also, for those believing that the ESA and agencies like the EPA will be "shut down" in a transfer...time to wake up. That isn't going to happen. What is going to happen is rather than Federal funds being used for compliance, funding, etc. now that cost is going to be on the States. I wonder what Western State is so well funded that they can pay the entire freight of Endangered Species Management? How about superfund sites, when the States are held culpable for mining development and associated problems, remediation, etc?

The brain-trust behind the transfer is not looking at this this from a 30,000 foot level. They're looking at being able to manage based on revenue gained from unrealistic profit margins on resource development, in perfect markets, with nothing bad ever happening.

Under current markets, most all Western States would be forced to sell lands to even keep their heads above water, let alone recognize a profit.

There have been exhaustive studies completed by about every major university in the West, that all have come to the same conclusion: The only way States could manage the current Federal Lands if it were transferred to them, is to sell a vast majority of the best lands.

If this were to pass, hunting, fishing, recreation, etc. are done.

The greatest gift ever given the United States Citizens, is the gift of Federal Public Lands, Teddy Roosevelt had it right. Time to do whats right and protect that legacy, by kicking the carpet-baggers that would take it from us, right out the door.

SFW has run its course and needs to be the first of the carpet baggers we kick down the road.

DO you know what I find interesting. You are so short sighted you don't realize how the Federal Government pays for all of its projects. You are so short sighted that you don't even realize they steal money right out of your hand to do it. DO you think Obama just cuts personal checks for things the Feds do on public land? Are you really that na?ve? You bash the states for actually trying to make land pay for itself and are too foolish to believe Federal land doesn't cost you anything.

DO you know what a carpet bagger is?

Stick to your leases and time limit blinds in Texas there Tritip.

TRISTATE 8/17/2012

Fat chance Wiley, This is about FEDERAL LAND. That's right you boys want them to stay federal that means every real carpet bagger all the way from main to California gets his say. You wanted it you got it.

The best thing about Federal Public lands is that a United States Citizens, all the way from "main" to California, have a place to hunt, fish, trap, ride horses, etc. etc. etc.

Just curious Tritip, is it far sighted to sell the birthright
Of every future generation so you can "get yours"??

TRISTATE 8/17/2012

Also curious, you'll hang a price tag on pretty much
Anything, is your mother exempt?

TRISTATE 8/17/2012

That's right buzz. Right now they do. But in the future you may have to deal with all those non hunters far away that decide you shouldn't have that access anymore. Would you like to fight millions of people far away or your neighbors?

I find it interesting that muley73 hasn't come running to the $FW rescue yet.

What I don't find interesting or surprising is that the Pig is in favor of all western states becoming a $h!thole like TexASS.

Jim gets it.

Tritip, not so much.

TRISTATE 8/17/2012

>That's right buzz. Right now
>they do. But in
>the future you may have
>to deal with all those
>non hunters far away that
>decide you shouldn't have that
>access anymore. Would you
>like to fight millions of
>people far away or your
>neighbors?

Hey Pig, the greedy, corrupt, slimeball, mormon, republicans in Utah have already decided Utahans shouldn't have access to their rivers and streams. It wasn't some non hunters or non fishermen from far away that did that. It was their neighbors.

>Also curious, you'll hang a price
>tag on pretty much
>Anything, is your mother exempt?

Trying to find one more habit you are bad at and can't afford Wiley?

That's right shotgun. Imagine what happens when you are in the sights of some teatotaling bridge club in Connecticut get set on your hobby. You think nobody cares what you think now, wait till your enemy is on the other side of the country.

so she does have a sticker price!!

Look BOY, I have no problems supporting my
Habits financially.

TRISTATE 8/17/2012

I'd rather fight the Connecticut bridge club to keep my public lands, than see them peddled to the highest bidder where I don't even have the opportunity to fight.

I like my chances with the bridge club...just sayin'.

I seem to manage just fine BOY.

TRISTATE 8/17/2012

Grizz,

Your argument that states are much more effective at getting things done than the feds is true, but it works both ways. The reason there are those things in those states is because the citizens of those states largely support those measure- which by the way, they also elect national representatives at the federal level to try to push their agenda on other states.
But the same is true on the opposite end. A state like Utah would very likely vote for a much more traditional approach to these issues. At the moment, they are forced to be subject to the liberal agendas pushed upon them by representatives from very large liberal states at the federal level.

BuzzH,

I'm glad you are so pleased with the way the feds manage the land. I hope you're still that pleased thirty years from now. I personally am not quite as in love with the bureaucratic federal nightmare that is driven by people that think big game were created to feed wolves.

Gawd, sucked in by some dumbazz in Texas again. Tri, I would a thousand times rather deal with the Conn. Bridge club. The Conn Bridge club by their very title alone is a least honest. We would know what we had by the "Bridge Club". With $fw we get outside money funding insiders. We don't know how much they have, we do know it comes from Canada and Idaho, we don't know what THE DON is doing from day to day, etc. See TRI, if we leave it up to $fw, our lands are sold anyway. The way I see it at least Obama doesn't act like hes one of us.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"

You guys that think the states can manage the land better than the feds obviously haven't spent much time on state land.

Hoss, trolling the Texan troll boy is some good
Cheap fun.

Kinda like shooting skunks at the dump. If you can
Put up with the stink it's entertaining.

TRISTATE 8/17/2012

BuzzH,

Just curious what your thoughts are on the federal Wild Horse and Burro program. A model of efficiency?

Like is usually the case, the extreme argument (the State will sell off all the lands) is used to direct attention from the real issue- can the State do a better job of managing the lands than the feds are currently doing.

If you believe the state would sell all the land, then there's nothing I can do to change your mind. But I don't think it's realistic. This state would implode if the public lost access to these lands and the politicians know it. Loss of access from the feds is the driving force behind the whole movement.

There is a very strong case that the State could manage these lands effectively and do it much more in accordance with local values. If you don't believe it, then I can't make you believe it, but that doesn't mean it's not true.

I suppose it depends on your idea of correct "management".

How do sportsmen get their voiced heard regarding wildlife management on State lands, when there is NO mandate regarding wildlife, hunting, or recreation in State law?

The States are bound by law, to make money for the school trust...that means the best use of the land to recognize a profit.

Rarely, if ever, is that mandate anything that will help wildlife, hunting, or recreation.

Also, do some research into how much land the State of Utah, Wyoming, etc. were granted at Statehood and how much of it has been sold.

The States have a long history of peddling public lands, like Wyoming for instance: 4.2 million acres at Statehood and they've sold 700,000...nearly 1/4 of their State lands. That's 700,000 acres with "no trespassing signs" that sportsmen have no access to, no voice in management, etc. GONE!

That's a fact, not "used to direct attention from the real issue".

Then theres little "facts" regarding recreation on State lands in Wyoming that prohibit camping, camp fires, etc.

"Facts" like in the case of Colorado, that the person leasing State lands for grazing, also controls all the hunting. The only State lands open to hunters in Colorado are those that the DOW leases.

The State politicians are going to pick the pocket of Sportsmen, and their new Federal lands, and not even give it a second thought.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-27-15 AT 10:55AM (MST)[p]Ya, what he said^^^^^^^^

I've been saying the exact same thing since this "brain-child" was first thunk up!

Look at what you can and cannot do on State land... at least what's left of it! The picture isn't roses for the hunter if the State gets control.

How can fewer people possibly pay for more land to manage? Simple, sell or lease off the land and use it to the highest and best INCOME producing entity. Which means sportsmen LOSE!

It's a simple math problem. Utah residents cannot pay for it!

Zeke

BuzzH,

The assumption that the current federal lands would be managed the way current state lands are is just that- an assumption, and that assumption is being used to direct attention away from the other issues. Most of the current state lands were allotted as school sections- one section per township, making a hoj poj of small properties scattered throughout the state. It is very difficult to manage most of these lands congruently, because they often are surrounded by private property. The current state land system was designed to deal with these specific challenges. The current federal lands are a completely different animal.

If the lands were turned over to the states, the most prominent scenario is that the states would create a new land management agency to manage the lands. It is actually quite likely that many of the current federal employees would be retained to implement the new state management. The difference being that they wouldn't be hogtied by all the federal B.S. The State would pool the knowledge of the best minds in the land management field to create management plans directed by the state. That process would have a much better chance of resulting in land management policies which reflect local values than what we are currently seeing from the feds, but it wouldn't be without some heartburn as well. But the very fact that they would be starting over is an advantage in itself, because much of the problem at the federal level is created by laws that are currently in place which are nonsensical- and even those implementing them know it but can't do anything about it.

The argument that the State can't afford it is mute. The feds can't afford it either- have you checked the national debt lately. As long as we're going to run in the red, it just as well be at the State level as the fed level.

We can argue back and forth about the what ifs, and I actually understand some people's concerns. But completely denying the problems at the federal level is burying your head in the sand just as much as denying that there would be some hurtles at the state level.

Wildman, I am reposting something I wrote on another thread that answers your claims about whether or not the State or the Feds can afford to keep the land as/is. It also talks about the improved "management" of land that you speak of...

-------------

The Fed's may be a rattlesnake but they are a rattlesnake that has tied itself in a knot and defanged itself. What I mean by that is that nothing can get done in Congress anymore, we all know that is a fact, and that fact is the very thing that keeps public lands public. Nobody in Congress has the strength, determination, or fortitude to try and sell public land. In addition, the Feds have no hesitation about keeping the land public and just adding to the federal deficit, which may be bad from a macro-economics standpoint, but it is good for hunters.

On the contrary, the State has one main objective to get the land and that is to "manage" it for more money it can waste on government programs. How can the state get more money from the land? There are two ways: 1) Sell it. 2) Mine it, drill it, log it, or graze it.

Those are the only two options. Which of those two do you think should be implemented on your favorite hunting unit. What if they increase cattle and sheep grazing on the Henry's, drill for oil and gas on the Book Cliffs, and log the timber from the Manti? And remember, that is the BEST CASE SCENARIO where the state agrees never to sell any land (even though the state-sanctioned report admits that selling public land likely will be necessary).

How many elk tags will be on the Wasatch in ten years when the state realizes the "best use" for that land is to subdivide it into 40 acre "micro-ranches" and it is covered in roads and cabins? Will there be more or less Wasatch elk tags?

-----------------

Also, read Hawkeye's post #55 on http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID5/22618.html#.VRWXXWctHcs

There is a lot of intelligent information there as well.

Grizzly

grizzly,

There seems to be some hunters who are content with the way the feds manage the land. I can actually understand where these hunters are coming from in some ways, because hunting is still legal on most federal lands. So some hunters believe it's not so bad. We still have our hunting privileges for the most part, and the average hunter sees no reason to change anything.

I personally have two main issues with that philosophy. Although hunting is still legal on most federal lands, I believe the "hands off, all natural, environmental wacko" approach to managing the lands the last 30-40 years has been a significant contributor to the decline of the deer herds here in Utah. People can argue about the reason, but the reciprocal correlation between the active land management practices of the mid twentieth century and the plentiful deer numbers of the same period is simply a fact.

But that is the lesser of my concerns. I believe hunters who think "all is well" because they still have their hunting rights are missing the signs that will lead to their demise. Although I am a hunter, I have been involved with other access issues my whole life, and I have seen the repercussions of sticky your head in the sand and saying "all is well" because your particular privilege isn't currently in jeopardy. Many hunters are actually glad that oil drilling and grazing have been reduced on federal lands, because they think they compete with their hunting. What they don't understand is that hunting is sitting in the very same position these other uses were thirty years ago. They think because their privileges aren't currently revoked they never will be. What they don't understand is that the very same ecology models that have driven the oil and gas industry and the grazing industry off of federal lands include the termination of hunting to be fully implemented. These ecology models designate the wolf as the natural predator, and the ultimate goal is to replace hunters with wolves to create the pristine ecological model. Supporters of this model have been tickled right to death that they have been able to recruit hunters in their effort to terminate other uses, but make no mistake about it, you are petting a snake that will turn and bite you once your useful purpose has been fulfilled and it's time to put your head on the chopping block.

Where to begin.

its kinda like the freaked out robot in the sci fi flicks that gets
Conflicting instructions. It's head swings back and forth like a sumbitch
Until it starts smoking and explodes.

Utah is proud to spout that the state does more habitat work than
All the other western states combined. This funding for projects are
Matched federally 3 to 1 in most cases. This is above and beyond any of
The "Enviro whacko all natural" management you are trying to sell.
The SITLA gang of clowns, the Utah State lands managers, tried to run
A nice little scam s decade ago. They pulled all the sportsmen's groups together
And told us they were going to base their access fees on what conservation
Permits and CWMU permits were selling for. No kidding.

HB 141 that is soon to be overturned kicked Utahn's off of miles of constitutionally
Protected waters. Herbert and his corrupt highway contracts that cost the taxpayers millions. Developers shoving tax increases down people's throats to move a prison to a community that doesn't want it so the same corrupt developers can get paid. Terry Deihl buying trackside property on an inside tip from "somebody" so he can turn around and sell it back to UDOT for Trax stops.
I'm not even mentioning the payola headed to Peay and Benson and what their plan is once lands are transferred.

So I guess we can worry about a supposed boogeyman that's gonna get us in a couple decades, or we can deal with the crooks that have the knife in our ribs right now.

Also when any corp cares to match sportsman cash at a 3 to 1 ratio, without any habitat degradation or loss of access I'll pay attention till then I'll keep my head in the sand.

TRISTATE 8/17/2012

I have both friends and family that work the Gunnison Prison. Sanpete, Sevier, and Juab county would orgasm for another or greatly expanded prison. The land is cheaper there too. It ain't going there because there aint enough backroom money to put it there.

My friends. We all try to think that Utah is some rural western state, like Wyoming. It is not. IF Utah took over lands, the yuppies, enviros, and city folk along the Wasatch and Park City would have control. That is where the money is, that is where the political power is. The reason it is harder, not impossible, but harder for the feds to jerk with us is that we are in a group that includes other mostly fed land states. That gives us SOME power. Do you guys in San Juan county think the Park City Lexus crowd care about your access to land? Lets get real. This state is run by a very small, very wealthy, religiously affiliated group. Do you think the UEA cares about your hunting? They would stand on there heads for the money land generates.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"

>It's either gonna be, "I don't
>agree with everything
>$FW does" or full on Cliven
>Bundy TeaBag, "We don't
>Need no stinking Gubmint tellin us
>how to
>Run out state". Murika!!
>
>Let's get on with it Koolaid
>crew.
>
>
>
>
>
>"The future is large scale auction
>tags.
>The majority of the tags should
>go up
>for auction anually. It MIGHT even
>be
>good to allow second sales of
>auction
>tags as in outfitters purchasing tags
>
>and then re-selling them to the
>public."
>TRISTATE 8/17/2012

I'm all about the limited Gov't.

Govt does not solve problems, it creates them and then proposes taxes and / or regulations in an attempt to make it seem better.

ww and hosblur,

I find it very interesting that people can list off the laundry list of political corruption in Utah but seem to be oblivious of the corruption at the federal level.

I will not deny that there are problems at the state level, but to insinuate that Utah politics are more corrupt than federal politics is just plain laughable.

The reason wolves are devastating Idaho big game populations have nothing to do with Utah politics- or Idaho for that matter. It's a federally pushed philosophy, and if you think Utah isn't next on the list, then you're just flat out naive about the federal ecological model.

>ww and hosblur,
>
>I find it very interesting that
>people can list off the
>laundry list of political corruption
>in Utah but seem to
>be oblivious of the corruption
>at the federal level.
>
>I will not deny that there
>are problems at the state
>level, but to insinuate that
>Utah politics are more corrupt
>than federal politics is just
>plain laughable.
>
>The reason wolves are devastating Idaho
>big game populations have nothing
>to do with Utah politics-
>or Idaho for that matter.
> It's a federally pushed
>philosophy, and if you think
>Utah isn't next on the
>list, then you're just flat
>out naive about the federal
>ecological model.

Wildman, if you think land ownership has anything to do with wolf reintroduction, Endangered Species Act, Army Corp of Engineers waterway preservation, Environmental Protection Agency governance over polluting industries, wild horses, etc... then you're na?ve.

The Feds will control State and private land if they so desire, so don't think that the Land Grab will free-up industry or individuals from Federal red tape. Sage Grouse can still be listed, wolves can still be listed, drilling can still be prevented, wild horses will still be protected by the Wild Horse Protection Act, etc...

The only thing that happens is no Federal money for wildfires, no 3:1 matches by the Feds on mule deer habitat improvement, and No Trespassing signs. That is not a cup of tea that I am willing to drink.

Grizzly

grizz,

"Wildman, if you think land ownership has anything to do with wolf reintroduction, Endangered Species Act, Army Corp of Engineers waterway preservation, Environmental Protection Agency governance over polluting industries, wild horses, etc... then you're na?ve."

I'm not denying that there will still be federal laws and agencies trying to mandate their control over state lands, but if you think state ownership of these lands doesn't give the state a much stronger position you're wrong.

I find it interesting that you point out Endangered Species Act, EPA, etc. (all federal nightmares) and then try to defend federal land ownership. This concept that the feds somehow are more benevolent than the states somehow eludes me, and somehow I get the feeling that the creators of the Constitution felt giving the states significant rights while limiting federal control was the way to go too. But, of course, some people feel that the Constitution is out dated these days.

My point is the examples people use when citing federal overreach would not be mitigated by a Land Grab. Taking federal land would not solve any problems, only add the additional complication of the State selling the land. So far, no decision maker has ever denied that selling land will be required.

All the land the state would acquire is a financial liability unless it is prostituted or sold, neither of those are acceptable to me as an Outdoorsman or somebody who feels they have a solumn duty to protect land for the children and grandchildren of the future.

Frankly, the idiots that got us into this financial mess where we even have to have this discussion sure as hell aren't the ones to sell the birthright of our children to pay for their mistakes.

And don't talk Constitution with me... you show me one Congressman that even belongs in the same room as Washington, Jefferson, Madison, Payne, Adams, and Franklin and I'll consider trusting them with the future of public land in this country. Teddy Roosevelt preserved 230,000,000 access during his Presidency, let me leave you with a quote of his...

There can be nothing in the world more beautiful than the Yosemite, the groves of the giant'sequoias?and?redwoods, the?Canyon of the Colorado, the?Canyon of the Yellowstone, the?Three Tetons; and our people should see to it that they are preserved for their children and their children's children forever, with their majestic beauty all unmarred." Theodore Roosevelt

Grizzly

grizz

"Taking federal land would not solve any problems..."

I am not insinuating that state control would "solve" all the problems, but it would make it more difficult for the feds to implement federal ideologies without state consent. It just simply isn't true that the feds have as much control over state lands as they do with federal lands. I'm not denying that the feds can still try to mandate things on state lands, but to say that it isn't a different scenario than the feds owning the land is simply not true.

As far as fiscal management goes, the State of Utah is one of the best fiscally managed states in the nation.

Grizz, I'm not trying to fight with you. You seem like a nice thoughtful guy, but trying to disregard the benefits of state control over the land just by regurgitating the "the state will sell it all" talking point isn't a strong argument.

Wildman, hopefully I'm not coming across as fighting. I feel like this has been a respectful intelligent discussion between people that just happen to disagree.

I agree the state is one if the better-run fiscally, which is another reason to not sell our public land.

If you'll read through my posts again, I never said "the state will sell it all". But they WILL sell some, we know that. And considering this is a money-raising endeavor with a money-raising objective, which do you think they'll sell?

The Salt Flats or The Book Cliffs?

The land west of Tremonton or the land east of Ogden?

I know which will sell for more money, and that is the point of all this, right?

Grizzly

I can assure you that the State of Utah would be up to their arse in debt with their "fiscally managed" state lands if a transfer happened.

Take a guess who would be paying for fire-fighting costs?

Take a guess who would be paying for required NEPA?

Take a guess who would paying for endangered species management?

Take a guess who would be paying to maintain roads, trails, campgrounds?

Take a guess who would paying for all the litigation regarding their newly acquired lands, regulations, sale, etc. that are no question going to happen?

The transfer of federal lands makes a lot of sense, if you don't really think about it.

This has been a good discussion guys. I want to respond to Wildman's argument that there is no risk that the State of Utah will sell off our public lands and, therefore, this argument is merely a red herring being used to scare people away from supporting the transfer.

We are not just worried about the State if Utah selling off our public lands, which the State has already stated would occur some at least some of the property. We are also concerned about the State of Utah increasing mining, drilling, logging, and development in order to "maximize the production" of the property. As a taxpayer, that all sounds fine and dandy if we are looking to create jobs, lower taxes and grow our economy. As a sportsman, however, I enjoy having millions of acres of public land with little to no development. Those are the places where I want to hunt, fish, camp, hike and get away.

Moreover, the concern that the State would like to sell or transfer most or all of the property is a valid and legitimate concern. Take a minute and review the some the materials on the American Lands Council website. It is very clear that the State's goal is not to have the State of Utah control millions of acres of public land. Rather, the goal is to transfer the majority of those lands into private ownership so that they can generate tax revenue and otherwise develop the property. What evidence is there of this? I already included some of this in Post 55 in the following thread: http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID5/22618.html#55 but I will repost it here for convenience.

First, look at the state's own report on the issue. http://publiclands.utah.gov/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/1. Land Transfer Analysis Final Report.pdf You will notice that the State does not spend a great deal of time addressing hunting and fishing. However, they do plainly state that on P. 286 that "there is a chance a cost-benefit analysis can be performed to determine the best use of the public land. This could include reallocating hunting and fishing areas for alternative uses including oil and gas production, commercial development, or other types of recreation." Those are their words, not mine. I don't want to see a "cost-benefit analysis" performed by the State to determine the highest economic use for my favorite hunting area.

Second, look at the arguments raised by Ken Ivory, the American Lands Council and other supporting transfer. They are based upon an argument that the Federal Government had a "duty to dispose" of all public lands in the West. http://www.americanlandscouncil.org/byu_law_review_fed_govt_s_duty_to_dispose_of_public Whether you agree or disagree with this legal argument, the point is that these folks are suggesting that the Federal Government should have disposed of or sold off all of these lands. In other words, the root of the legal argument is not that the lands should have been given to the states. Rather, it is that the Federal Government breached its obligation to sell off or otherwise transfer all of our public lands, which would mean that our public lands would be privately owned today. After doing my own research, I personally do not agree with the "duty to dispose" argument. However, to the extent that there was such an agreement, thank goodness the Federal Government did not sell off our public lands in Utah.

Third, the folks supporting transfer like to point to the Eastern states as the model of how it should be. Take a look back east. The Eastern states do not own, control or maintain large swaths of public lands. Rather, what you see back East is the vast majority of the lands were sold to private landowners who own and control those lands. Most of those lands are posted as "private property" and are not open to the public. In other words, if a sportsman wants to hunt back east then he needs to join a club, pay a trespass fee or get permission from a private landowner. That sounds great to Easterners but I personally love the fact that we have millions of acres of public lands in Utah that are open to the public. I don't always agree with the rules and guidelines imposed by the feds but I put a huge premium on public access.

Fourth, I mentioned before that I am a conservative and I generally vote republican. However, I believe that our state Republican lawmakers have chosen the wrong side on this issue. They are focused primarily on growing the economy, increasing tax revenue and opening up our public lands to development. If you have any questions about how our state leaders view this issue then take a minute and watch this short clip of Governor Herbert talking about the possibility of "privatizing" and selling off some of our public lands.
Once again, those are his words - not mine.

Finally, Lumpy posted this on another thread I happen to agree with him (surprise, surprise). The State of Utah is not focused exclusively on the monies generated from selling off public lands. That is why they have adopted the same language in their bill that is included in the Utah Enabling Act, which gives 95% of any monies generated from selling the properties to the federal government and 5% to the state for education. See lines 19-24 of the H.B. 148 - http://le.utah.gov/~2012/bills/hbillint/hb0148.htm The goal is to transfer the majority of the lands into private hands regardless of how that occurs (feds selling, feds giving away, states selling, states giving away, etc.). The real target for the State of Utah is the tax revenues generated from the lands once they are privately owned, not necessarily the monies generated from selling the properties. And by doing so, the state can also open up some prime real estate to some of our most powerful and politically connected developers, oil companies, mining companies, etc. Once again, think about the "duty to dispose" argument that the State is pushing and the Eastern model that they keep pointing to as the way it should be out West. Also, consider the fact that this is the same legislature and governor who shut down the public's stream access back in 2010. Whose interest was the state protecting there? Sportsmen and the general public? Or large wealthy landowners and political donors?

As a taxpayer this scheme sounds somewhat appealing on the surface. Who doesn't want to grow the economy, create jobs, and push back against unreasonable federal regulations? However, as a hunter, fisherman, hiker, camper, sportsman and someone who enjoys spending time in the outdoors with my family, this sounds like a recipe for disaster. I believe that the 31+ million acres of federal public lands in Utah is one of the state's greatest assets and should be protected and maintained. I support the notion of compromise and multiple use but I am not willing to roll the dice on State of Utah and risk losing access to our public lands.

I don't have all of the answers to this issue but I encourage each us use to research the issues and get involved. If we don't, we may later regret watching this unfold from the sidelines.

-Hawkeye-

One other thought, what positions have our sportsmen's groups taken on this issue? I found this telling.

RMEF has come out strongly against the proposed transfer. ("Federal public lands are vitally important habitat for elk and many other species of wildlife. They are also where we hunt, camp, hike, and in some cases, make our living. The notion of transferring ownership of lands currently overseen by the U.S. Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management or any other federal land manager to states, or worse yet to private interests, is not a solution to federal land management issues and we are opposed to this idea.? David Allen, RMEF president and CEO)

Back Country Hunters and Anglers are against it. ("As private hunting access increasingly becomes limited to the wealthy and well-connected, public land remains the only safeguard that, no matter what profession you choose or what family you marry into, you will always have a place to stalk backcountry bulls or decoy plump northern mallards. There's simply no other way to spin it. A federal public land transfer would lead to a loss of public access for sportsmen throughout our country. It's time for politicians to drop this unpopular rhetoric and work toward real public land management solutions." Tim Brass, southern Rockies coordinator for Backcountry Hunters and Anglers)

Trout Unlimited is against it. ("Every major river in the west begins in or flows through public lands. So for anglers, public lands are the holy grail. Attempts to send these lands to cash-strapped states that will have no choice but to sell out when the ledger becomes off-balance - that really raises a red flag for anglers. The access and opportunities these lands provide are the birthright of all Americans. It should stay that way forever." Aaron Kindle, Colorado field coordinator for Trout Unlimited)

I have also see comments from the United Wildlife Cooperative, National Wild Turkey Federation, Dallas Safari Club, Pheasants Forever, Quail Forever and Trout Unlimited all against the proposed transfer.

SFW has apparently chosen to remain publicly neutral for the time being but its Dixie Chapter has come out in support of the transfer. (http://sfw.net/2015/03/21/sfw-comments-on-utahs-interest-in-federal-lands-transfer/ and http://www.americanlandscouncil.org...ish_and_wildlife_passed_resolution_of_support)

What about our other sportsmen groups including MDF, DU, UBA, WSF and others? Does anybody know what positions these groups have taken on this issue? We should all be supporting groups that supports our interests as sportsmen.

-Hawkeye-

Grizz,

"I feel like this has been a respectful intelligent discussion between people that just happen to disagree."

I can agree with that. Sometimes you just have to agree to disagree. But honest discussion tends to educate both sides and often results in better outcomes than the polarized opinions of the special interest groups would allow. It is disingenuous discussion that is a waste of time.

I happen to disagree with the accusation that any significant amount of these lands will just be auctioned off. I think the thought of it does make great political theater if you're against the transfer.

I also think many sportsmen are overlooking the real threat that the federal ecological model is to hunting in general. It is a model where the ultimate goal is wolves limiting the number of big game. In my opinion, it is so deeply ingrained into the federal system that changing the ideology at the federal level is a lost cause. It is ingrained into every natural resource student at the universities from the second they walk onto campus- if not before, and it is very difficult to graduate with a degree in natural resources without buying into the wolf philosophy.

In my opinion, the only hope we have of changing direction is through legislation, and I don't believe that will ever happen at the federal level because the large population states have bought into the wolf ideology preventing those states with a little common sense about these issues from having the votes at the national level to make changes. I think legislative action at the state level is our only chance of changing course; therefore, transferring these lands to state control would make that much more feasible. I'm not denying that there will still be pressure from the feds, but I believe it puts the state in a much stronger position.

I understand why some sportsmen have concerns about how that may happen, but I don't understand how they can ignore the danger to their rights presented by the feds who are completely and wholly sold out to the wolf ecological model. The only thing I can assume is that these hunters are not aware of the prominence of this philosophy at the federal level.

Wildman-

What is you basis for your statement that "no significant amount of these lands will just be auctioned off?" Perhaps you have some insider information that the rest of us do not have access to but everything I have reviewed seems to suggest that the primary goals of the transfer are to increase productivity of the lands and get large portions of the lands into private ownership (i.e., the Eastern states model). I am not looking for an argument either but I was wondering what is the source that you are relying upon for your statement? Please share it with the rest of us.

-Hawkeye-

Buzz,

You make some valid points, but you are incorrect on some of them.

I am not denying that the fiscal management of these lands is an issue, but good fiscal management is an issue at the federal level. The fact that there would be some fiscal challenges by transferring the lands to the states doesn't mean that there already aren't fiscal challenges at the federal level. In fact, I think there is an argument that the state is more competent to handle the fiscal challenges than the feds are.

The point that I think you are really wrong on is NEPA and the litigation that results from it. As a matter of fact, I believe NEPA is one of the great arguments for the transfer, because NEPA is only applicable to federal lands. It is also the main vehicle which environmental groups use to sue the feds, because it is such a bureaucratic nightmare that it makes it virtually impossible to manage the land according to the policy- let alone practically- and allows the enviros to sue over every little detail that isn't completely according to the policy. Litigation would be significantly more difficult is it weren't for NEPA.

Transfer of the lands to the state would eliminate NEPA from the land management equation. Some people have heartburn over that, but it is perfect example something that is better to just start over with than try to salvage. That is something that could happen at the state level but just isn't ever going to happen at the federal level.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-01-15 AT 10:38AM (MST)[p]Wildman,

You say this:

I happen to disagree with the accusation that any significant amount of these lands will just be auctioned off. I think the thought of it does make great political theater if you're against the transfer.

Political theater? Really?

I suppose Wyoming selling off 700,000 acres of its 4.2 million that was granted at Statehood is "political theater"?

I call it something different, I call it "business as usual" at the State level, no trespassing signs, and the loss of recreational opportunities on 700,000 acres of land that was once open to recreation by the PUBLIC.

I also think many sportsmen are overlooking the real threat that the federal ecological model is to hunting in general. It is a model where the ultimate goal is wolves limiting the number of big game. In my opinion, it is so deeply ingrained into the federal system that changing the ideology at the federal level is a lost cause. It is ingrained into every natural resource student at the universities from the second they walk onto campus- if not before, and it is very difficult to graduate with a degree in natural resources without buying into the wolf philosophy.

This quote of yours isn't "political theater" though?

Then I guess you wont have a problem explaining why, if wolves are limiting the number of big-game animals so much in WY, MT, and ID...sportsmen can kill 2 elk in each of Montana and Idaho, and 3 in Wyoming every year.

Prior to wolf reintroduction I couldn't shoot 2 elk in Montana or 3 in Wyoming.

Also, please provide any "proof" other than "political theater" regarding your comments about natural resource students. I work with and know a lot of them in many federal and state agencies. I have yet to hear a single one of them state that hunting should be stopped. I have yet to find a single state or federal resource management agency where I don't find employees that hunt.

Hawkeye,

I'm assuming that the state report you mention is the same state report which said that the state could manage the lands profitably without selling off any significant amount of the land. If so, then you would be cherry picking your details choosing the ones that support your opinion and disregarding the ones that don't.

As far as the American Lands Council, policy #4 of their official policy statement is "Retain Public Ownership of Public Lands". This idea that this is all about selling the land to the highest bidder just isn't supported by the facts.

I know of no one who is pushing to turn Utah's public lands into an eastern states model- except maybe TriState who seems to be for auctioning everything.

The video you posted of Gov. Herbert is the perfect example of the political theater I'm talking about. If you watch the whole video, Richard Piatt asks the governor to respond to a federal movement pushed by an eastern legislator who had pushed the idea of selling off public lands to pay off national debt. Yes, the governor discusses the pros and cons of the eastern legislator's proposal and mentions some instances where private ownership has done a better job of management than the feds (likely referring to Range Creek Canyon, etc.), but in the end, at the 2:20 mark of the video, he says, "I don't think there will be a big march towards liquidating public lands". Now you can make what you want of the video as a whole, but if you're trying to insinuate that the governor is pushing the liquidation of the public lands, you're picking and choosing what you want to focus on in his statement. Granted he's a politician and about anybody could make whatever they wanted to out of what he said.

"The State of Utah is not focused exclusively on the monies generated from selling off public lands. That is why they have adopted the same language in their bill that is included in the Utah Enabling Act, which gives 95% of any monies generated from selling the properties to the federal government and 5% to the state for education. See lines 19-24 of the H.B. 148 - http://le.utah.gov/~2012/bills/hbillint/hb0148.htm The goal is to transfer the majority of the lands into private hands regardless of how that occurs..."

Once again, you take a true statement- the 95/5% split and insert your own opinion as to the reasoning. The 95% federal 5% split of any lands sold is actually intended to deter the state from selling the lands. If it was all about the money for the state, they could make a lot more money off of the sell of the land than they ever will through the taxes generated from property taxes. The language was actually inserted to quail fears that that the state was just going to sell the land for a quick profit.

Where the more likely profits and taxes would come from is through better land management practices. The timber industry is a perfect example. In the mid 1900's, the timber industry was thriving in Utah. Many communities in the state were built around the timber industry. It created good jobs in rural areas and was an overall boon to communities. But the crazy federal policies of the last 30-40 years have virtually wiped out the timber industry in the inter-mountain west. Instead the feds chose to let the bark beetle work its "magic", infest and ruin thousands of acres of forest and even then refused to let the dead timber be harvested all while watching on as the economies of timber dependent rural communities hit rock bottom. And as far as the argument that the timber industry is detrimental to hunting, one of my favorite and most productive hunting areas sits on the edge of an old timbered area where years ago some of the timber was removed creating productive little grazing areas for wildlife amidst abundant cover. I go to similar areas where the timber has overgrown everything and there is no wildlife- just barren forest floor covered in pine needles.

BuzzH,

I addressed the difference between state school lands and what is being proposed with the current federal lands in a previous comment, but I will go into further detail.

State school lands were created when the lands were originally surveyed giving one section of every township in every state in the nation to the states to fund education. Every state in the nation has these school lands and manages them for their intended purpose- to fund education. The problem with the school lands is that they are scattered throughout the state- usually in small tracts surrounded by private or federal land which make them difficult to manage as a whole. They are a completely different animal than what is being proposed for the current fed lands if they were to come under state control.

Are you really seriously arguing that wolves have not seriously decimated big game herds in parts of Idaho?

"Also, please provide any "proof" other than "political theater" regarding your comments about natural resource students. I work with and know a lot of them in many federal and state agencies. I have yet to hear a single one of them state that hunting should be stopped. I have yet to find a single state or federal resource management agency where I don't find employees that hunt."

I work with many of them as well, and if they are honest with you they will tell you that the wolf ideology is prominently embedded in federal ideology. I know not every natural resource graduate is a "tree huger", but it they are telling you that the wolf ideology is not very prominent in the federal natural resource management community, they are not being truthful.

Wildman,
If those provisions were included in the exchange, it would be better for states to manage not federal IMO. Thanks for the info and your input.

Wildman-

Thanks for the response.

I was not cherry-picking statements from the State's 700 page report, I merely turned to the few pages that actually addressed the topic of hunting and pulled out the following quote from the State's own report: "There is a chance a cost-benefit analysis can be performed to determine the best use of the public land. This could include reallocating hunting and fishing areas for alternative uses including oil and gas production, commercial development, or other types of recreation." Once again, that from the report prepared by the State of Utah entitled: ?An Analysis of a Transfer of Federal Lands to the State of Utah.? So just to be clear, the concern is not only that the State might sell or otherwise dispose of public property, but they will also certainly be looking to reallocate certain areas in an effort to increase the productivity of the land and generate money.

According to you, the State of Utah "could manage the lands profitably without selling off any significant amount of the land. So, what exactly constitutes a insignificant amount of public land? Which lands if any would be disposed of under the state's plan? And even of certain public lands were not actually sold off, wouldn't reallocating them to "alternative uses including oil and gas production, commercial development, or other types of recreation" also impact sportsmen?

With regard to the video quote from Governor Herbert, I understand that this clip is from 2010 and the Governor was addressing a proposal from a federal legislator to sell of Utah's public lands. However, the important point is Governor Herbert did not object or argue against the idea of selling our public lands. Rather, he used the question as an opportunity argue that the idea was "certainly worth exploring" and that while he would not support selling of national parks, "there is a lot of public land that could be privatized." He then goes on to comment on the huge amounts of public land in Utah compared to states back East and raises the same "duty to dispose" arguments that you hear from the American Lands Council. I did not see anything to lead me to believe that Governor Herbert felt strongly that public lands should remain public and should not be privatized. If any of you have any doubts, watch the video for yourselves:

With regard to the 95% - 5% split of revenues for lands being sold, I assume the State of Utah included that language in HB 141 because it was the same allocation that was included in Section 9 of the State's Enabling Act. The State of Utah has to know that the Feds are not going to simply hand over 31+ million acres of property and allow the state to turn around and sell the property and keep all of the proceeds. By including the 95% - 5% split of revenues, the state is essentially sweetening the pot for the Feds in hopes that they will agree with the plan. Several of our federal legislators, including Rob Bishop, are already pushing this at the federal level. Let's hope this does not get traction in D.C. One other point, watch the video of Governor Herbert again. You will notice that he was generally supportive of the idea of the feds selling off our federal lands to pay off the national debt. If that occurred, the feds would keep most, if not all, of the money. So why would the Governor be open to that idea if the feds were to keep the money? Because part of the agenda is to privatize large portions of our public lands which would open them up to development and taxation. In summary, I don't think the 95% - 5% split is much of a deterrent to the state disposing of public lands.

Thanks again for your comments. I appreciate folks expressing their opinions even if we don't agree. It sounds like you have done some research on the issue. Send me a pm if you would be willing to discuss this issue on the phone some time. I am still trying to gather additional information. Thanks.

-Hawkeye-

LAST EDITED ON Apr-01-15 AT 05:21PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-01-15 AT 05:17?PM (MST)

>Hawkeye,
>
>For your convenience.
>
>American Land Council, Official Policy #4
>
>
>"iv. RETAIN PUBLIC OWNERSHIP OF PUBLIC
>LANDS"
>
>http://www.americanlandscouncil.org/policy_statements

The link you provided has some policies I agree with and some I don't, but let's remember that these are only the policies of the American Lands Council, not the Utah State Legislature. And the ongoing study mandated by the Utah State Legislature isn't so idealistically friendly to sportsmen. The American Lands Council's policies may be sincere and logical enough for you to cite them as evidence that those transferred lands will not be sold or legally closed or made biologically unsuitable for game, but are those policies sincere and logical enough for the Utah State Legislature and Governor to do the same? I think not!

Per the study (An Analysis of a Transfer of Federal Lands to the State of Utah), Table 7.1, p. 255:

2013 Contributions from Production on Federal Lands
-Wildlife Recreation ---- $423.7M ---- 5.9% -- 7,617 jobs
-Coal ----------------------- $887.7M ---- 9.4% -- 6,443 jobs
-Other Minerals ----------- $53.8M ---- 0.8% ---- 413 jobs
-Grazing ------------------- $110.0M ---- 1.5% -- 2,767 jobs
-Geothermal ----------- $3,829.6M --- 53.7% ----- 41 jobs
-Timber ---------------------- $13.6M ---- 0.2% ---- 346 jobs
-Oil and Gas ---------- $2,029.7M --- 28.5% - 11,286 jobs
-Total --------------------- $7,128.1M -- 100.0% - 28,914 jobs

Energy counts for 91.6% of monies made on Federal Lands plus 61.5% of the jobs, while Wildlife Recreation counts for 5.9% of the money and 26.3% of the jobs. We'd have to pay 7,617 people to get a return of $423.7M ($55,626 return per job) with wildlife recreation and 17,770 people to get a return of $6747M ($380,065 return per job) with energy. Guess which industry will get top billing when it comes down to money? And therein lies the difference! With the State of Utah it will come down to the money!

I think need to expand the scope of this discussion in that the transfer of public land won't just effect sportsmen bit it would effect all outdoor enthusiasts. If you think in terms of that paradigm it will attract a greater audience and a greater conversation. Hiker,Bikers, bird watchers, campers, everyone has a dog in this fight and this transfer would effect everyone's interest.

If the state's political leaders, lobbyists, and stakeholders, first spent as much money on collaborating with federal partners I.e BLM, Forrest Service, lobbied to modify the ESA, NEPA and land use policies as they did on trying to take control of the lands I would believe this is an honest effort to improve the system. However, I don't believe that to be the case and I think is all about greed.

Finally, Utahns better be careful what they wish for. It cost on average $1.69 per month per cow pair to lease on Fed land and a average of $16 per month in private lands. If UT ranchers and Utahns can out bid oil companies, foreign investors, and wealthy elitists by all keep it up. Rest assure those groups will have more clout with the politicians.

If UT ranchers and average Utahns believe oil companies, foreign investors, and wealthy elitists are better landlords go ahead and roll the dice.

The current system might not be perfect but at least everyone has a voice in land use not just the landowner. I am all for working on modifying NEPA. Why doesn't everyone come to the table and change so.watching that is attainable.

And we finally get around to Wildlife and what's best for
Wildlife.

Henry's Bison
Wasatch Elk
Bountiful Deer

Some people think there's to darn many. They want them killed cause
They can't feed them all winter, they compete for forage with livestock
Or a few dumb asses just had to build on winter range.

So if we increase private lands, cultivated private lands north of the Berry
Over to Tabby, how many cow tags do you think are going to be required to
Keep elk out of private feed?? They are over 6k now.. How big of a herd is going
To be acceptable to these new landowners??

If you are under the impression that a farmer trying to scratch out a living will be complaining to the DWR that there ain't enough elk, I wanna shake his hand.

TRISTATE 8/17/2012

They Best Hurry ww!

Gonna have to beat the DWR to them!

This is exactly why I left sfw years ago ,that being said !
All of you ##### and moan but your the first in line at the expo to support and fund these clowns, and then turn around and fight them !

'IT AINT EASY BEING ME'

>LAST EDITED ON Mar-12-15
>AT 03:36?PM (MST)

>
>What I find interesting is the
>lack of thought put into
>the whole idea, and that
>there are any individuals, let
>alone "sportsmens" organizations that think
>this is a good idea.
>
>
>Many are failing to grasp the
>most simple of known facts
>regarding State and Federal Management
>and the differences. Differences that
>are very stark when compared.
>
>
>The mandate on most State properties
>is to maximize money for
>the School Trust. That means,
>extractive uses, leasing, etc. to
>make money, that's the directive.
>Wildlife is not a consideration,
>recreation on State lands is
>a very distant "thought", as
>a best case.
>
>In the case of Federal ownership,
>MUSYA, NEPA, etc. all apply.
>That ensures that recreation, wildlife,
>etc. are given equal consideration
>under the law when decisions
>are made on how best
>to manage our Federal Lands.
>
>
>As cumbersome as the Federal laws
>may be, at least hunters,
>fishermen, wildlife, recreationists, etc. all
>have a seat at the
>table. We also have a
>legal avenue to ensure that
>our interests are given consideration,
>as well as a way
>to force federal agencies into
>compliance.
>
>Not much, if any, of that
>is applicable to State Lands.
>
>
>Also, for those believing that the
>ESA and agencies like the
>EPA will be "shut down"
>in a transfer...time to wake
>up. That isn't going to
>happen. What is going to
>happen is rather than Federal
>funds being used for compliance,
>funding, etc. now that cost
>is going to be on
>the States. I wonder what
>Western State is so well
>funded that they can pay
>the entire freight of Endangered
>Species Management? How about superfund
>sites, when the States are
>held culpable for mining development
>and associated problems, remediation, etc?
>
>
>The brain-trust behind the transfer is
>not looking at this this
>from a 30,000 foot level.
>They're looking at being able
>to manage based on revenue
>gained from unrealistic profit margins
>on resource development, in perfect
>markets, with nothing bad ever
>happening.
>
>Under current markets, most all Western
>States would be forced to
>sell lands to even keep
>their heads above water, let
>alone recognize a profit.
>
>There have been exhaustive studies completed
>by about every major university
>in the West, that all
>have come to the same
>conclusion: The only way States
>could manage the current Federal
>Lands if it were transferred
>to them, is to sell
>a vast majority of the
>best lands.
>
>If this were to pass, hunting,
>fishing, recreation, etc. are done.
>
>
>The greatest gift ever given the
>United States Citizens, is the
>gift of Federal Public Lands,
>Teddy Roosevelt had it right.
>Time to do whats right
>and protect that legacy, by
>kicking the carpet-baggers that would
>take it from us, right
>out the door.
>
>
nailed it!

All this is true. If this sort of thing were to come to pass, our way of life is done.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom