Shed Antlers

E

Elkseeker

Need help putting this together. Last week in Colorado we were doing some shed hunting and spotted a mulie buck with about five inches of new growth on his left side, but was still sporting a nice 5 point rack from last year on the right side. Have any of you ever seen this, what could cause this to happen?

Elkseeker

dang, now that is weird to say the least, have never seen it or ever heard of it ocurring either. good luck on find out how it would happen. Did you get a pic of the buck, that would be nice to see.

No, but we are headed back up there this afternoon, hope to get a picture, if not find the shed.

Elkseeker

Thats one I have to see. Never heard of that but never say never. Strange set of hormonal circumastances to have that happen.

I thought I was seeing things, but then put the binoculars on him and sure enough, he still was packing. I was glad to have my Dad and another friend see the same thing so that people did not think I was crazy. This buck is with 2 others that we watched all spring and back in Feb his left antler was gone and we kept seeing him with his one antler. The last month has been rough getting back out so to see him still packing last week was a big surprise.

Elkseeker

There is a Professor here at Utah State University that has a buck that he shot years back. It's the coolest looking buck I've ever seen, he never shed his antlers and started the growth of new ones. The new antler growth started to grow around the base of the old antler, kind of like pulling a glove over the antlers that never shed. The new antler growth grew over the out side of the old antlers and went up about 8 to 10?. It was like a medusa head, there where little 3? to 8? kickers coming off of the new antler. Not just a few kickers, there where 20 or so on both sides. The original rack was a big non typical with a great typical frame, Boone and Crockett would not accept it because it had two years of antler growth. Just something I thought might go along with what you guys saw.

AntlerKing

Counting down the time (1 hour) left here at work and then we are headed out. I hope he is in the same area that we found him last time, easily accessible.

Elkseeker

Are you in a area where CWD is found? While working for the CDOW I saw lots of wacky stuff at the lab where all the elk and deer heads are brought in for testing. I saw a lot of bucks come in from areas of high CWD prevelance with funky antler growth (similiar to what was said above) or losing antlers in January. These bucks almost always came back testing postive.
Jeff

Currently in Colorado. I got some pictures of the Buck last night, but they did not turn out well becuase it was to dark even with a flash. I am going back up there today with a different camera so hope to have them posted soon.

Elkseeker

Elkseeker, about 2 weeks ago I saw a blacktail that had last years fork on his left side and his right side had about 6 inches of new velvet growth. Strange indeed. Eventually the buck should lose his old antler. This may explain why sometimes we occasionally pick up a shed that is in traditional summer grounds. I always figured that some dumbass yote packed it in and up several miles. ????

Browtine,

I just returned from London and have been over there the last couple of weeks. I am headed up the mountain this weekend, so I will see if that buck is still packing.

Elkseeker

London was all work with the exception of a few hours. First time over there so it was very educating, but nothing like the good old USA. We were able to get out and see a few of the sites and look at all the people.

Elkseeker

I spent two years over there in Greater London area back in 94-96, I loved it over there. But I sure missed the mountains like no other. I'll spent the rest of my life in the WEST! Good luck finding that buck, I'll see if I can get a photo of that buck that I saw with two sets of antlers.

It was fun to visit and see the people from different countries all over the place and how the have melded together. But you are right, there is nothing like the mountains.

I was out over the weekend, but never was able to find the buck, just the rain. Made the trip a little shorter then planned. I would love to see the picture you have and once I get mine I will be asking for directions on how to get it posted.

Elkseeker

hey antlerking, i was in the leeds area from fall of 89 to 91. without having mountains was your sense of direction all mest up like mine was?

Mooseman,

At first, then I was better then the Brit's at finding my way around. Other then the A to Z would screw me up like no other, roads suck over there. Finding an address could take all day, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about? I kind of miss the place.

antlerking yes i know what you mean, one street that would have about 10 different kind of addresses. yes it would take a while to find addresses. there streets are definetly not like ours for the most part

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom