Shed Dog

J

JOHUNT

I have a black lab that I want to train to find sheds but im not sure where to start on the training. Can anyone help???
Thanks

i got my black lab to find sheds basically the same way i trained her to find birds. She found the first shed of the year this year.

I started by throwing a 2 point shed in the yard just like a ball. I would have her retrieve it and praise her when she brought it back. I did this for a couple of weeks untill she started carrying it around with her for me to throw.

I then took her in the house and would have her sit and stay while she watched me walk into another room. I would place the shed in the middle of the room..walk back to her..give her the command and have her run in and grab it to bring it back.

it took 1 try for her to get that down. so i would do the same process but would hide the shed in a blanket or on the couch. She would scower the room till she found the shed.

I then (still do this) would take her out to my dads land. I would hide 4 or 5 sheds while she sat in the truck at a point she could not see me. I would walk her in the general area of each shed giving her ample time to work around for each shed.

I will also note that i stopped letting her bring me sticks. She can only retrieve a ball or shed for me(except for bird season of course). She finds more sheds then me now.

I used the same method on my first chocolate lab. He was awesome! he would even bring me chalky horns. One time he was off in a draw out of sight and i didn't know what he was doing until i got down there and he had found a winter kill deer and was dragging the whole thing to me. I gave him to a friend a few years back when I took a traveling job.
I had quit using him because the division didn't like dogs out while shed hunting because some peoples dogs were running wildlife. So they figured if you had a dog with you that you were automatically harassing wildlife. I see there point and haven't used dogs since.
JC

West and JCmuleys pretty much has everything covered. If you'd like to research more then look at antlerdogs.com and cabicreekgundogs.com. fatrooster.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-12-09 AT 11:51PM (MST)[p]You can check out my website at www.shedhuntingdogs.com I have been training bird dogs for years and recently started training Shed dogs. My info is on my website if anyone has any questions. I just got my website up and going, so you are welcome to check it out. On average a good shed dog will find around seven sheds compared to one that you find. Good hunting!

well pretty much everything was covered i trained my black lab the same way just givin him a horn to play with and slowley progressed to hiding the horn in the house then moved to hiding it outside. I would only let him play with horns. black labs are great dogs to teach to find sheds mine worked out well for me but unfortunatley i had to getrid of him cause i moved to a place that didnt allow dogs.

shedhuntingdogs, checked out the website and looking forward to seeing your photo gallery. goodluck! fatrooster.

Whats wrong with my dog? She only wants to bring me sticks or rocks? She will fetch horns all day and pack em around for me but she won't go get em and bring em back when we R in the hills.

bonejunkie

i stopped accepting sticks when my lab would bring them to me. She figured it out after a bit that the only way she would get praised was to bring sheds. I think the only way for a shed dog to work out is for sticks to be nonexistent all the time. No reaction from you at all when she brings a stick.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom