Shed hunting - Salt lake Tribune

A

AntlerKing

Antler craze has hunters going too far

Skip Knowles
The Salt Lake Tribune

Utah's new spring deer and elk season is winding down, and wildlife officials, game herds and the landscape are finally getting a break.
What, you missed it? The new season has no size or bag limits and requires no license, and you can bag all the trophy animals you want.
All wildlife officials ask for is a little fair chase. But that's too much for some folks caught up in the shed-antler hunting craze.
A harmless activity by foot or horseback has become a destructive one on critical winter ranges such as Wallsburg Wildlife Management Area near Deer Creek Reservoir because of illegal ATV and four-wheel drive use, says Steve Flinders, central region biologist.
People have gone horn-nuts and torn up the land and harassed winter-stressed wildlife.
In Utah, the Great Depression was the good old days for the game herds. Hardly anyone could afford bullets, gas or boots to go hunt. Bucks grew old with enormous, heavy racks that now collect dust in rural gas stations.
Utah's deer and elk should pray for an economic downturn. These days people -- and not just hunters -- can pay $7,000 for an ATV or propeller-driven paragliders to hunt antlers, and have idle time to chase deer and elk from February to June.
More and more, they are literally chasing them, pushing animals to knock their antlers off long before an enzyme eats off the antler material at the base of the horn and the animal is truly ready to shed.
Another badly needed proposal to ban antler collecting before April failed to pass this spring, because of enforcement questions.
Too bad. Harassing wildlife or four-wheeling off trails is illegal, but the antler craze is rife with cheaters.
Even East Coast news media such as the Wall Street Journal assign reporters to cover the spring horn-rush at the elk refuge near Jackson Hole. What spectacle: Officers using hounds to track camouflaged smugglers, vehicle chases, caches of horns hidden in trees, people lined up with horses days in advance. People do wind sprints to get in shape "for the season."
Matched sets go for hundreds of dollars on ebay, and antler chandeliers for thousands.
For a hunter, finding an antler is something special. A gleaming mass of ivory laying in the forest shows an extraordinary animal made it through. Horns have an aura of grace, beauty and wildness and, like wildflowers, some folks feel they should be left for all to enjoy, not for the first person who can come along and snatch them.
But most, like Flinders, love the "other" hunt.
"It gets you out in the spring, gets you in shape, you see some animals," he said. "There is nothing worse than having invested time in horseback or on foot only to run across four-wheeler tracks where they should not be."
Bravado and bragging rights drive the Utah rush, he said.
"Who wouldn't want a matched set of 400 [point] class elk horns?" he said.
Every day, he sees people scouring the hillsides of Spanish Fork Canyon.
"Every waking moment, people are trying to keep tabs on animals, trying to be first," he said.
He sees fences cut and four-wheelers outfitted with brush guards for running through sage.
Utah's high buck-doe ratios and limited-entry areas provide a wealth of monster horns, and with more people "buzzing" animals on paragliders each year, the problem will grow.
Flinders recently learned a sheep-hunting outfitter bought three paragliders.
"It's competitiveness, human nature, 'Gotta find more, gotta find bigger, than everyone else,' " he said.

I'm not saying these people who chase deer and drive fourwheelers where it is not aloud are not wrong they are, But I think the fish and game NEED to take Some sort of stand it may not need to be as drastic as a shed season. But shoot if they want to stop these people they need to do more then slaping them on the hand . !!! They need to start confenscating there fourwheelers and trucks and giveing out Huge tickets I laugh at some of the tickets I hear of being given.... The STATES need to step up and hammer these Jacka$$es I'm tired of all the good honest hunter and shed collects having to suffer and besides if they confenscated more stuff ( whatever the law breaker is driving at the time) and giving out bigger tickets we would have more money for habitats and helping the wildlife out... well thats all I have to say just me venting a bit. But I'm open for ridicule so fire away!!!!!!!!!!!
Curtis

It's too bad that restrictions will only affect the honest guy! People that are breaking the rules now, will continue to do so.
That's what video camera's are good for. We need to police ourselves.

Nelly,

I agree 100%; they need to enforce the 4wheelers. Instead of putting a season date on shed hunting they need to do the enforcement. If the UDWR and BLM start ticketing people we wouldn't have this problem as bad as we do. In Southern Utah and Wyoming this year I was ready to kick some ATV butt; I saw more 4 wheeler tracks out in the sage and through the Junipers. I still picked up allot of antlers, but I'm sure they found allot as well. There big 700?s with the brush guards allow them to go anywhere, all the sage they drove over was broke in half. Next year that sage will be dead. I don't know what there thinking, they want the antlers so bad they'll kill off the sage to do. There killing off the winter range, and the deer herds will suffer next. They need to do something bad. Wyoming closes off thousands of acres to motorized vehicles until May 1st, we went out May 2nd and found month old four wheeler tracks all over the sage. I was so pissed off it wasn't funny. The roads are closed until May 1st, four wheelers are not allowed off of the roads. Well, this group of idiots didn't care about both. The Wyoming BLM needs to get out and enforce it. Like you guys said, us honest guys get the boot. Thanks for listening to me vent.
AntlerKing

I have been shed hunting for 16 years. I am ready to give it all up and ban shed hunting (which could never be enforced). It used to be a fun pasttime, go out find some bone, go home. Now it is a race. The deer and elk are pushed all over. These small men get their thrills by finding a couple antlers, but they know nothing of game care.

There are easily 10x the number of shed hunters today as opposed to 7-8 years ago. The animals never get a break and neither does the land. The area is too big to patrol, but any offender should forfeit their ATV or truck, if off-road, and all their sheds.

I owned the first 4 wheeler in our town of 5,000 and never used it off-roads like people do now. Lazy, uneducated, selfish, selfish people who have never been taught the right lessons of life cause the problems. And they are becoming the majority of the players.

I know that I may be over the top, but it just makes my blood boil to see cheaters and unethical people abuse our resources.

Well said 2 point. Your last line expresses how I feel about alot of issues concerning our resources, including but not limited to wildlife. I started shed hunting back in the 80's and pretty much quite in 99. The shear volume of people doing it, and the fact that the race starts earlier each winter has turned a healthy , entertaining pass time into a critical land management and wildlife issue.People are thier own worst enemy! We fight the radical enviros for multiple use and public access. We claim to be stewards of the land , yet we destroy the land we love. I do own a 4 wheeler and a 4x4 truck. I refuse to use them off existing trails and roads. One interesting thing i've noticed is, if you visit back country that is not deer and elk winter range you dont find the ground litterly criss crossed with atv tracks. That tells me what group is responsible for most of the abuse.If we dont become resposible users , we will have a hard time jutifying our right to use it. I looked at a map of the area i spend most of my time in. It was dated 1980. Its amazing how many roads exist now that didnt 23 years ago. I believe education and law enforcment is the key. Its big country and only a few will be caught. Hammer the ones caught hard and the message will be recieved. Educate people to the dangers of losing access were all facing and teach the responsible use . Maybe it should be taught in school. Tread Lightly Please.

A shed antler season and no enforcement would be the easy thing for land managers to do. Problem solved if you choose to look the other way and never get out of the office. The problem is that the slobs would have a great time and the rest of us and the wildlife would be the loosers. The BLM and the other land managers need to get out on winter range and enforce the off road and wildlife harassment laws and then throw the book at the violaters. This would take time and money but it would get results. I know this has been said may times but the more often we complain about Atvs tearing up the winter range the more likely the law enforcement officers are going to start enforcing the laws.

Antlerradar

The sad part is fish and game is not smart enough to inforce the laws with more punishment, Most likely they will eventually just forbid atv's from being aloud in the forest and so on... How sad!! It's sad how our kids or our grandkids are going to lose out on everything we take for granted!!!!!!!!!

Curtis

Well put guys! The sad thing is it's like the Gun Laws, instead of enforcing them they pass more gun bills. I was talking to Senator Orrin Hatch a few years ago, he was telling me we could through out 30 gun bills and enforce the three that actually work. As I talked with him on this subject he said just those three would work and do everything we need and it would protect our gun rights. He said every time some one is shot there mother jumps on the band wagon and gets another gun law past. Now we have too many and nobody can enforce them all. It's the same way here, stop the use of ATV?s, Dirt Bikes, Snowmobiles and keep it open to the guys on foot and horseback. In return the winter range is saved and there is less stress on the animals. And on there patrols they will be stopping the guys on horse and foot that are pushing the deer and elk, and keeping an eye out on the ATV's. I to like you guys have an ATV and 4x4 truck, I stick to the roads and trails designated to ATV use. I agree, when you get out of hunting areas and winter range I see very little sign of ATV?s.

I have enjoyed antler hunting for 15 years and have seen the out-of-hand stuff that some people are doing these days to find that nice set of antlers. How many of you though have seen people destroying things while out collecting, but have never turned in names or plates and have let it go. I have run into a lot of people who see things (people on 4-wheelers in closed areas) and then never correct them or turn them in. I hope when you guys are out there you are fighting back and trying to preserve what we have and not letting things slide. Not a slam on anyone, but law enforcement cannot be everywhere and its our rights we are going to be losing if nothing is done.

Elkseeker

thanks for the post antlerking i agree with all of you. i usually do not see many 4 wheel tracks though, most of the area i go to is to steep and rough and brushy for even the big 700's.

antler king nice article. Did you see the article in the herald journal about the possible banning of ohv in logan and blacksmith canyons? Just because one person can screw it up for everyone doesnt mean they should punish everyone. The people who break the laws should be punished not those of us that are considerate enough to not chase the animals into the next state just to find an antler or two. I have called in 2 or 3 people just for tearing up the ground around hardware and sinks areas but when someone shows up the people who were messin it up had either left the vicinity or just plain ignored what was told to them and went ahead and did it again.
In some aspects of the article i can agree to but when it comes to punishing all of us just for a few of us that screwed up is wrong

just my 1.5 cents

BigBullHunter
Sean

ITS TOO BAD THAT ALL OF US GOOD AND FAIR SHED HUNTERS HAVE TO BE BROUGHT DOWN AND PUT IN THE SAME CATEGORY AS THESE ATV LAND TEARING UP DEER CHASING LOSERS WHO ARE MAKING A BAD IMPRESSION OF SHED HUNTING. I SAY GIVE THEM STEEP FINES AND DON'T LET THEM RUIN FUN AND TRADITION FOR THE REST OF US HONEST SHED HUNTERS.

MULEYSTALKER

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom