Sheds. Lets see them.

nmelktrout

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Apr-13-09 AT 08:52PM (MST)[p]Here's a couple of the better sheds I have found this year. Found the match to the small 7 on the far right 1 year later and a solid mile from its mate...and the monster shed in the middle was picked up by my fiancee in November while deer hunting (too bad the fifth is busted clean off). It's been slow for me this year as it seems that not as many bulls wintered in my area as in past years but I'm still finding a few good ones and picking up those that I missed last year. Let's see what you all have picked up. Whoever passed me in the dark Chevy with a quad in the bed and turned into the grocery store in Magdalena Friday night had an absolute monster shed or two in the back...hope it was a fellow MM'er and I'd love to see some pics. Mozey, I know you are a shed hunter so let's see some of yours from this year! Trapking had a monster shed in a pic from a past post and I'm sure has found some more so let's see'em.
-Cody
IMG_0665.jpg

Oh yeah, found the biggest nontypical muley shed EVER (and finally found a worthy purpose for the fiancee's dog...) Smallest shed with a kicker I've ever found.
IMG_0671.jpg

Thanks for posting up those pics, NMET. That 60-incher is an absolute jaw-dropper; hope one of you finds the match.

I think it's cool that this year you were able to find matches to singles you found last year. I've got a couple of real nice singles from last year that I'd love to match up--one being from about a 180 class buck and the other being from about a 350 class bull.

As work would have it, the soonest I'll be able to get back out there will be this Thursday, and I just may be more interested in trying to whack a turkey if I can get 'em to talk to me. If the turkey's aren't talking though, I'll definitely be stalking them sheds.

crazeymaez called me earlier today and said he'd spotted a bunch bulls (one small sixer still packing) through his spotting scope right where he and I found a bunch of sheds last year. He's going back tomorrow morning to see if he can do any good. I'm looking forward to see what he brings back.

Pray2Hunt, Z and I are probably going out again Saturday. I'll post pics as soon as I have them from last week and this Saturday...

DC

Hah! Woops...didn't even catch the silver barrell on the side there...And yes, it actually was an evening of Sierra Nevada Pale at my house this Saturday. Moze, good luck on the turkeys and shed hunting man. Hopefully I'll get out of the house again this weekend myself. It was nice piecing together some matches this year. I've found a a bunch of raghorns and decent 5x5 sheds but have noticed that the small bulls I glass are still carrying antler. Let's see some pics guys.

Ok im back saw about 17 bulls today 4 still packin most already out to their seconds.Mozey wasnt there to crack the whip so I
kinda slacked.The first pic is the only as it lay I spotted the white one in the background first and then the brownie

shedhunt09002.jpg

Cossed the drainage and found the whiteys match maybe....
Could be the same bull two different years.But they were 30 yrds from each other two bad his g-3 is busted 21" on left 52" main
beam

shedhunt09003.jpg

shedhunt09004.jpg

shedhunt09006.jpg

Enjoy. hopefully me and Mozey can get out soon and clean up..

Crazy, nice haul man. That's more nice bone than I've found all season. I especially like the ATL pic with the whitey and brownie; too cool. And man, what a great game room.

Awesome. How did we miss those bad boys last year? You almost have to step on those browns. I got a feeling it's going to be embarrassing to see all the ones I missed last year, and how close I walked by without seeing them.

nmelktrout...awesome find!! beautiful dog..I just got puppy black lab last Jan for christmas from my wife...4 month old now.

crazymaes..awesome findin...wow..what a trophy!(wife)jk jk,,, I mean the trohpy room!! LOL

VINIHUNT :)

No, my lab is a bird hunting machine. She looks for quail (mearns) while I look for horn.

And, Crazey's chihuahua is his secret to his shed hunting success. Chihuahuas are easily scent trained for antler hunting. We pack them into the backcountry and then release them in prime shed spots... It's an old New Mexico secret tradition...

WinGinNM, LOVE THE BRONCO!!! If you need to fund another hunt and want to part ways with it let me know...

Mozey,
$3 - $7 a lb. Prices have really dropped off.
I only sold the antlers I could bring myself to part with. I hated to sell but it was worth it, killed a pretty nice Coues'.

NMHUNTNUTTG,
The Bronco is for sale. I'll send you a pm.

--Bill

Thanks, Bill. My wife keeps eyeballing the piles I have in my backyard and thinks she could finance a cruise or someting...

I don't think I'll be giving them up quite so easily. A caribou hunt maybe, but not a cruise...

"My wife keeps eyeballing the piles I have in my backyard and thinks she could finance a cruise..."

A cruise??? That's sacrilege. I'm a firm believer that when antlers get sold something has to die.

--Bill

Bill, thanks for sharing man. You got me thinking now of how to fund some new trips...but I don't know if I can part with any of my treasures. Post a pic of your coues!

>Bill, thanks for sharing man.
>You got me thinking now
>of how to fund some
>new trips...but I don't know
>if I can part with
>any of my treasures. Post
>a pic of your coues!
>

The rock is to hide the entrance.

CouesDeerHunt029-1-1.jpg

CouesDeerHunt033.jpg

--Bill

Bill that is NOT a coues, it's a monster coues! Wow... that's all I can say about that deer. Hell of a deer man.
-Cody

Great finds. NM has some serious elk. It's easier for us to find muley sheds than elk sheds in Colorado because our raghorn elk sheds are smaller than our muley sheds. ;)

That is a fantastic looking coues....Good job!

Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

>Dayumn!! That is one bad
>Coues!!
>
>What did he score?
>
>Thanks for sharing the pics...

After the 60 day drying period he went 113 7/8" gross Non-Typical, 112" net.

Thanks for looking,
--Bill

LAST EDITED ON Apr-17-09 AT 01:48PM (MST)[p]beautiful sheds everyone! Thats a heck of a buck too!

I think I might be the world's worst turkey hunter, but I can still sneak up on those sheds; found a total of eighteen yesterday, seventeen elk, one muley. Packed out nine and stashed the rest for another day.

There's a pack under there some where:

49e9d5124ef21108.jpg

I'm pretty crappy at stalking those brown sheds, too. It was even worse than what I predicted above about how embarrassing I anticipated it was gonna be to find out how close I passed by some last year.

Exhibit A is this year-old 7-pointer as it lay:

49e9d6e52c6b228b.jpg

Look at the log that it is under. Last year, I stashed four chalkers under that same log at the other end, that I never got a chance to go retrieve. I never had a clue that the 7-pointer was even there. Here's a pic of the other end of the log:

49e9d93c3603be36.jpg

49e9d9f4390da6cc.jpg

But that's not even the end of it. I give you Exhibit B as it lay, the seven pointer's match, that I found within 80 yards of Exhibit A, where I walked within 20 feet of last year while carrying a load of turkey decoys:

49e9db7240b84f1c.jpg

49e9dc19433aa7c7.jpg

And finally Exhibits C & D, a small 6X7 with some twists; both right out in the open, and both within an area where I did an extensive grid search:

49e9ded84f6cb6fa.jpg

49e9def64fc68249.jpg

49e9df1b4ffd5c22.jpg

Muley was a small four point. It started snowing on me at about noon and never let up. I got back to the truck at nine, probably about eight inches of snow by then.

Despite my incompetence, I did manage to find a few browns. First thing in the morning:

49e9e2785da70151.jpg

He wanted to be a 7-pointer:

49e9e5bc6a548991.jpg

Another:

49e9e5f86b2ba7d9.jpg

The best one of the day, a 53" main beam. Started snowing pretty hard right after I found this one, and I was a long way from home, so I'll have to look for its match another day.

49e9e69d6eff4036.jpg

On the way out, stumbled across one more:

49e9e734701f5fbb.jpg

49e9e76370979514.jpg

Got within a couple hundred yards of where I left my turkey decoys, and spotted a gobbler in the snow, pacing the ridge right above the decoys. He was about 50 yards beyond the reach of my 00 buck. He saw me at the same time and flushed away. Bummer. He was probably trying to figure out why this rival tom was too stupid to get off his side out of the snow... ;-)

49e9e949793276ea.jpg

Dang Moze, you are cleaning up man. Like you my turkey "hunting" expeditions typically turn into antler collecting forays. I can't believe you stashed some horn next to that nice 7 and didn't even know it! Pretty cool pics as usual and they are making me jealous considering I'm stuck in the office all weekend.
-Cody

Nice Mozey.

I went out today with my buddy Z and his wife and Jerry (Pray2Hunt) and his son. We did OK, but not when it came to brownies. Jerry found one brown 6 and I found a 1 year old massive 6 with 2 stickers. We also found a few nice chalkies. One is the weirdest shed I've ever seen. It has a 90 degree turn right at the base and no brow tine. It would have laid straight back and scratched his butt. It is only a 4 (no brow, though), but is broken off. My prize of the day is a short, short spike with a bulb at the base. It is 1-2 years old. I didn't get ATL picks or any for that matter because my wife has the camera out of town. One good note was that I used a frame from an ALICE pack for packing out my 4 and it worked great. I was really tired of carrying sheds out by hand. Pics will follow soon...

DC

looks like a good day to me Mozey, I'd rather find sheds than have to carry around a stinky old Tom anyday.

--Bill

Went out for a few hours today and try and match up the two I

found last week.Two different bulls.Couldnt find em but found

A few more.Took my dad and had him man the spotter.

april20shedhunt001.jpg

Back at last great feeling

april20shedhunt002.jpg

3 sixers 1 seven small muley

april20shedhunt004.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Apr-20-09 AT 09:55PM (MST)[p]Awesome crazey. Are those two browns on the right a match? Is that a J-104?

On Saturday, after I went back for the others, I glassed from where we park and spotted a couple more:

49ed40915a8d8770.jpg

Appears those young punks either missed or purposely left a few for the older guys... ;-)

Here's a few more year-old ATLs from Friday:

49ed4170604d2c84.jpg

49ed4252655eaf2d.jpg

49ed426d67f1300b.jpg

Dang, Mozey and Maez. Nice haul. No point in posting the pics of the 2 small broken deer sheds I found this year.

No Moz thats the gunslinger gotta work my way up to those big boy packs.Those horns arnt a match although they were 40 yrds apart.Alot of the same genetics in those bulls.That brown is my favorite as it lay pic .No way to see that unless you walk right up to it.I think those youngsters cried UNCLE.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom