Sheldon NV lope hunt

BIGOLMULEY

Well I just got back from my hunt on the Sheldon in NV for antelope with my bow. All I can say is they are tough to hunt!

It all started with the scouting trip in July with my buddy Juston. We saw antelope but not in the numbers I had thought we would. Found some cool places though.

IMG_0712.jpg

Did find a lot of these around. They were everywhere and ran off every goat they saw it seemed.

IMG_0726.jpg

IMG_0708.jpg

This is one antelope we were interested in. He has a big hook on top, but not great prongs. Not the greatest pic. The goats were really spooky. You drive by and they would bolt.

IMG_0723.jpg

We left feeling like we knew where I wanted to be. Found a lot of water around and two bucks I felt would be opening day shooters.

I returned 2 days before the season and found 2 other camps where I was planning on staying. I was alone so I figure I might as well camp with them. They were great guys out of Elko each with tags of their own. Unfortunately one of them had his blind already built where I was planning on sitting. So I spent the next few hours checking out other areas. Found a hole with 80+ goats watering on it with 12 nice bucks and 2 that really stood out. I was wary about setting up my blind there as there is no cover at all, but I figured I might get lucky.

This happened on the way back to camp. I actually blew two tires on the trip. Lots of obsidian on the roads.

IMG_0735.jpg

Here is what showed up the day before opener.

IMG_0740.jpg

IMG_0742.jpg

Tons of antelope came in including some dandys, but only 4 watered, they saw my blind and stopped dead. Some bolted others stared, but I realized I would have to get really lucky.

Opening day produced one buck about 10" that I could have shot in the morning easy. Saw tons of others that would not come in. Then one good buck that didn't quite water, but I could have shot. I passed being the first day. I figured mid 70's.

That is how it went for the next 4 days. Lot of goats, not many come in. I tried other spots and could have shot a small buck I stalked on at another water hole, but passed. Then came the rain. Rain is no good for antelope hunting with a bow. I had 3 days left and it rained all but the last.
I stalked goat all the time. It was all I could do. It was tough with no cover around.

IMG_0744.jpg

I had decided I would shoot the first decent buck I had a chance to. I stalked 27 bucks in 3 days. 9 on my last day. After a 2 hours stalk that included 200 yards on my belly and a 10 min. stare down through the only sagebrush around, this is what I found after the shot.

IMG_0748.jpg

Then this

IMG_0754.jpg

And this

IMG_0756.jpg

And finally this

IMG_0751.jpg

Shot was 46 yards and he bolted as I shot. I caught him behind the shoulder, and it blew through the front of his chest taking out the heart. I say him run about 50 yards and he pitched backwards and it was all over.

Entrance

IMG_0758.jpg

Exit

IMG_0793.jpg

Heart

IMG_0794.jpg

Shot him with the new EPEK mechanical. Very impressed with it. Also a new AM32 for me this year.

IMG_0768.jpg

IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0791.jpg

All in all a great time. He ended up scoring just over 67. I am very happy with him. I found out I hate sitting at waterholes and it is very frustrating stalking these buggers, but I did it. I almost gave up.

If any of you have a rifle tag there coming up, send me a PM and I will tell you where a couple pushing and exceeding 80 are living.

Sorry so long, I am still excited,

Jason "The Big Ol' Muley"

Very good replay and pics....very cool, you got it done. Great buck with a bow......damn horses own the place now don't they?

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Outstanding! Congratulations on good sportsmanship, patience, and hard work! Very nice buck!

Eel

Great Hunt! I love these posts that have pictures and go through the play by play from beginning to end.

The Sheldon is a neat place. It has way too many horses and coyotes. I never understood why coyotes are protected out there.

congratulations on the fine buck!
great job on the hunt, and on the photo essay!

THATS NOT A BAD BUCK AT ALL! FOR ALL THE TIME YOU PUT IN AND THE LAST DAY AND ALL I SAY "GREAT TROPHY". NOW LETS SEE WHAT THIS WEEKEND BRINGS FOR BUCKS FOR YOU. GOOD LUCK DOWN THERE AND TRY AND GET SOME VIDEO OF THE BUCK YOU'LL SHOOT. AND POST SOME VIDEO YOU SUCKER. I KNOW YOU HAVE SOME. YOU KNOW I LIVE VICARISLEY THOUGHT YOU! HA HA.

BUGLEMN

Great story and pic's. Those epic's xc-3's are awesome head's. Gotta love the size of those northern neveda goat's. thank's for sharring.

For hell sake Jason!

That looks like someone was pouring tranny fluid out that broadhead hole!

congrats young fella.

See any Cali Rams in your travels? I got max non-ressy points on them and put in for 33 most years.....

Be safe,

Robb

Wow great hunt and you documented it well. I have the early rifle tag and leave from Vegas at first light in the morning...wish I had seen this post earlier.

I plan to hunt the southern end of the unit but any info you can provide would be awesome. I talked to the biologist and they started to round up 350 head of horses on Monday around Catnip and then down near Badger.

I have a horse decoy I plan to use to get in that extra few yards for the shot.

Lots of recent rain....hmmm that may not be a good thing as it will have them more spread out. I would love any info you may have I will check tonight and first thing in the morning for possible info.......Great job on your buck I will post my findings/results as well

bp

I had the Sheldon last year and counted over 120 head of horses coming off of catnip reservoir in the morning. There is more horses and jackasses than antelope they have a serious problem they need to take care of.

J, You are freakin' awesome! Thanks for sharing the story and pics. Well done. I feel like I was there through the story and pics( thats me in the first pic-scouting trip), good job, and nice buck! I knew you would succeed!! JRW

Nice job Jason. That is a great goat! Great story too. Except for the flat tires!! Spot and stalk antelope with a bow is tough. Nice ending to a great hunt. I may have to try those Epek's. Best blood trail I have seen in a long while!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom