Sheldon NV lope hunt

BIGOLMULEY

Well I just got back from my hunt on the Sheldon in NV for antelope with my bow. All I can say is they are tough to hunt!

It all started with the scouting trip in July with my buddy Juston. We saw antelope but not in the numbers I had thought we would. Found some cool places though.

IMG_0712.jpg

Did find a lot of these around. They were everywhere and ran off every goat they saw it seemed.

IMG_0726.jpg

IMG_0708.jpg

This is one antelope we were interested in. He has a big hook on top, but not great prongs. Not the greatest pic. The goats were really spooky. You drive by and they would bolt.

IMG_0723.jpg

We left feeling like we knew where I wanted to be. Found a lot of water around and two bucks I felt would be opening day shooters.

I returned 2 days before the season and found 2 other camps where I was planning on staying. I was alone so I figure I might as well camp with them. They were great guys out of Elko each with tags of their own. Unfortunately one of them had his blind already built where I was planning on sitting. So I spent the next few hours checking out other areas. Found a hole with 80+ goats watering on it with 12 nice bucks and 2 that really stood out. I was wary about setting up my blind there as there is no cover at all, but I figured I might get lucky.

This happened on the way back to camp. I actually blew two tires on the trip. Lots of obsidian on the roads.

IMG_0735.jpg

Here is what showed up the day before opener.

IMG_0740.jpg

IMG_0742.jpg

Tons of antelope came in including some dandys, but only 4 watered, they saw my blind and stopped dead. Some bolted others stared, but I realized I would have to get really lucky.

Opening day produced one buck about 10" that I could have shot in the morning easy. Saw tons of others that would not come in. Then one good buck that didn't quite water, but I could have shot. I passed being the first day. I figured mid 70's.

That is how it went for the next 4 days. Lot of goats, not many come in. I tried other spots and could have shot a small buck I stalked on at another water hole, but passed. Then came the rain. Rain is no good for antelope hunting with a bow. I had 3 days left and it rained all but the last.
I stalked goat all the time. It was all I could do. It was tough with no cover around.

IMG_0744.jpg

I had decided I would shoot the first decent buck I had a chance to. I stalked 27 bucks in 3 days. 9 on my last day. After a 2 hours stalk that included 200 yards on my belly and a 10 min. stare down through the only sagebrush around, this is what I found after the shot.

IMG_0748.jpg

Then this

IMG_0754.jpg

And this

IMG_0756.jpg

And finally this

IMG_0751.jpg

Shot was 46 yards and he bolted as I shot. I caught him behind the shoulder, and it blew through the front of his chest taking out the heart. I say him run about 50 yards and he pitched backwards and it was all over.

Entrance

IMG_0758.jpg

Exit

IMG_0793.jpg

Heart

IMG_0794.jpg

Shot him with the new EPEK mechanical. Very impressed with it. Also a new AM32 for me this year.

IMG_0768.jpg

IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0791.jpg

All in all a great time. He ended up scoring just over 67. I am very happy with him. I found out I hate sitting at waterholes and it is very frustrating stalking these buggers, but I did it. I almost gave up.

If any of you have a rifle tag there coming up, send me a PM and I will tell you where a couple pushing and exceeding 80 are living.

Sorry so long, I am still excited,

Jason "The Big Ol' Muley"

Nice Goat. Sounds like you worked hard for that animal, people don't know how hard it is to set on your ass , waiting for an animal to come in. Good job. Thanks, Doug.

Loved the story! Anybody that can stalk into bow range and harvest an antelope sure has my respect. Good job and nice buck.

Cool story , and great pictures . Congrats on a getting it done with tough conditions . Spot and stalk on those critters sounds like it would be very difficult .

Great Story and nice goat! I used to spend a lot of time in the Sheldon's but those horses have to go.
Again congrats on a nice goat!!!

Very nice story, pictures and a well earned goat. Congratulations!! When they gonna give us some over the counter horse tags? BH1

You will allways remember this hunt with good memories. The harder the hunt the more cherished the prize is. Congrats on a great buck. You deserved it after all you went through. fatrooster.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom