shockwave bullets

NMHUNTER

LAST EDITED ON Sep-09-10 AT 03:08PM (MST)[p]how do they do on elk? i have been shooting the 250 grand they shoot good. not sure they will hold together if they hit bone. would the bonded shockwaves be a better choice? or will the regular shockwaves hold up to an elk?

When ever possible I shoot the bonded bullets,be it muzzleloader or center fire.They just are not legal in Colorado durring the muzzy season.

I used the 250 bonded shockwave on NM bull last year.At 100yds broke both shoulders and blew the top of heart off-i was very happy with the preformance of those sabots-going to use them again this year in NM.

Until this year I have shot the 250 grain shockwave, both the bonded and regular bullets. I have taken numerous whitetails, several mule deer and two elk with these bullets. I have recovered both the regular and bonded bullets out of several animals. Now this is my opinion only! I saw literally NO difference between the two and how they performed inside of an animal. The bonded bullets for some reason tended to shoot a little better out of my Knight than the regular bullets. The regular (yellow tipped) bullets held up and retained just as well as the bonded bullets in my experience. Again just my opinion.

thanks for all the input guys. i couldnt get the bonded or regular shockwaves to group like id like them to. it really likes the 250gr hornady sst and the barnes tmz's with 2 white hots pellets. do you guys think the hornady would be good on a elk? i took about a 100 lbs hog last week at 170 yrds with the barnes, and got a passthrew destroying the left shoulder. they just dont group as well as the hornadys. should i stick with the barnes?

That's weird because the Shockwave and the SST are the same bullet. They may have different sabots though. I don't use the sabot that comes with them. I replace it with the Harvester and I mix and match SW and SST. For elk I use the bonded but for deer I only use the standard. The bonded is a bit too tough for deer at long ranges.

yea they have different sabots. im sticking with the barnes tmz's. they shoot good and will do the job on an elk. thanks for all the input guys

Good luck on your hunt, NM.

FWIW, I talked with a guide who told me that in his experience the TMZs on average make for "easier-to-follow" bloodtrails. Consequently, if you're getting similarly good groups with TMZs and any other bullet, he'd recommend going with the TMZs, but otherwise go with the most accurate for your gun. I know, that's somewhat anecdotal, but so far it's a no-brainer for me because in all of my experimenting with several different load combinations for my Triumph, the 290 gr TMZ BTs, combined with two triple se7en magnums pellets and a Winchester triple se7en primer, is consistently giving me the tightest 100 yard groups--about 0.75" - 1.25", with an occasional flyer. I'm still experimenting with other loads for my elk hunt that starts 10/16, but if I were leaving tomorrow, I'd be pretty confident with this combination for anything under 200 yards.

thanks mozey. i have alot of confidence in the tmz's out to 200. they were devistating to the hog i killed a couple weeks ago. they will do the job. good luck on your hunt coming up. hope you knock down a good one

Just been getting used to my Omega and started w/the TC 250's that came with it.But I've been using the 250 TMZ w/110gr BH209 and with the groups I've been getting,I'm confidant out to 200yrds. Good Luck You Guys!!! I've got 21 days to wait.

I do think barnes makes a little better bullet. But, our family and friends have killed plenty of elk with excellent result using the Hornady bullets. Dad killed a nice 6x6 last year using the Hornady SST, I believe in the 290-300 weight range. Worked great and he did not have any complaints.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-05-10 AT 02:00PM (MST)[p]I will comment on the T/C shockwave bonded bullets as I just harvested a bull 3 days ago with that bullet (and 90 gr. BH209) here in NM. I had good thoughts about what it might do givin I saw the damage that it did on my buddies deer a few feeks before. On the deer, the bullet mushroomed and had a baseball size exit, destroying the vitals. On my elk, the bullet entered between rib bones, passed through top half of both lungs, and exited again between ribs. the entrance and exit hole were basically the same size. I suppose you must hit some bone to make them expand and do damage. Maybe the non-bonded version would have been better for where my bullet trajectory was. Anyhow, I think I may be switching to the nonbonded for my upcoming deer hunt.

The Beast is Dead, Long Live the Beast.

-The Nuge

Dont know about on an elk But work great on antelope!

9641downsized_0814000721_00.jpg

I have not had good luck with these, I have dug a few bullets out of elk and could have reused them.

Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed to where the trail meets the sky...

I've taken an elk, deer, and antelope with the 300 grain shockwave (used the bonded version the last time). All three were one-shot kills with complete broadside or near broadside passthrough in the ribcage. Left massive exit wound on all three.

Only brand I've ever shot out of my Omega. Caught a bunch of the 15 - 30 packs on clearance a couple years ago and bought enough to last several years.

Are not the Hornady SST and the Shockwave the same bullet just differet color tip ? Both made by Hornady ? Had a guy in a local sports shop tell me this.Different color and sabot,but same bullet.
I have used both on deer and they both work great.Large exit wounds.

Not sure if they were bonded or not but I have had some great luck with MZ small hollow point in 245 grain 50 call, White UltraMag. I won't even tell you how far i have used them on elk......130 grains tripple7 + the MZ's = devistation and accuracy out to 300 yards.

Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed to where the trail meets the sky...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom