Silver State Tag

azbiggame

Very Active Member
appears that Nv. has come up with a NEW revenue maker for 2011 --- "SilverState Tag" is equal to the Heritage Tag.Instead of bidding against the "Blue Blood Hunters" an AVERAGE JOE can have an opportunity at a hunt of a lifetime tag.Sure to be a Winner for ALL.Can read about in the proposed regs --- Good Luck in the upcoming Nv draws,
Bruce & Silvergrand

>So what is the difference between
>the silver state tag and
>a piw tag?

I was wondering the same thing.

Silver state tag let's you hunt like aug 1st thru Dec 31st, any weapon, any unit, in essence a governor's tag.

PIW is any unit that is open with that specific weapon at that time that is open.

I love the PIW concept. You can hunt any open season. Aug through January, but the season is open for that weapon.

A tag where you would be the only person hunting, with any weapon doesn't seem fair. And how would you like to be archery hunting, bed a huge buck, stalk to within a 100 yards, heart's pounding, moment of truth is coming and KABOOM!!!! Someone with a "Siver State" tag kills (or misses) the buck from 400 yards.

I call BULLSHOOT!!!!!!! Find another way to generate $$$$$

using the example above,that Antelope is aready dead before the archer has a chance,because the Silver State Tag hunter is most likely in the field a week earlier than the archery hunter --- another piece of Info,about this tag is,while You are waiting the 10 years,because You filled a elk tag a Silver State Tag applicant can apply for this tag.Looks like 1 tag for antelope,elk ,deer and sheep,will be in the draw for the average hunter.Count Me in ---
Bruce & SilverGrand

what a joke, if your are incredibly lucky, or incredibly wealthy, you can have a incredibly easy trophy hunt. All that does is diminish the chances for others to have a quality hunt, and cheapens the meaning of a "trophy".

Get used to it! Thats the way they do things now days. Kinda puts a bad taste in your mouth on the new breed.

what a joke, if your are incredibly lucky, or incredibly wealthy, you can have a incredibly easy trophy hunt. All that does is diminish the chances for others to have a quality hunt, and cheapens the meaning of a "trophy".

Although true it is no different than a Henries or Antelope Island or private ranch IMO as far as diminishing trophy value over general DIY hunt.

Bill

Look out Forkie, FTW is watching us!

These Silver State tags came from the Heritage tags, which have been in existance for many years. They split them in half, with the exception of the California heritage tag, which will alternate with Silver State tag every other year.

So, they split the Heritage tags in half, and will raffle off one, and auction the other for each species. The seasons are the same as they always have been, so there is no difference in the amount of people out there before the rest of the hunters in the normal or PIW hunts.

There is one difference between the Herritage and Silver State tags. The winners of the Silver State tag are likely to be average Joe's without the cash to hire the best outfitters to send scouts out, pay finders fees, and have the ability to take off whenever...Or either hunt or have people looking the whole year...

The impact on the herds of one tag per species are inconsequential, and your odds of getting your hunt ruined by the tag holders are less than being struck by lightning. But if anything, an average Joe would likely cause less conflict with other hunters.

A no season all year tag is kind of cheating...But would anyone here not want the tag?

LAST EDITED ON Mar-13-11 AT 10:27PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-13-11 AT 10:26?PM (MST)

I bet if the State offers a "box" for you naysayers to check yes or no, you all check yes. So quit winning!!! We are all average joes and it would be a blessing to be a rich man for one season!!! Quit trying to b-itch about the state desecrating your wildlife. Last time I checked NV is not Utah......yet!!!

Maybe I'm not looking, but I don't see any sheep tags listed for the Silver State. It looks like there's 1 antelope, 1 deer, and 1 elk.

That low of a quota won't have any impact. Apply if you want, otherwise I don't see the big deal.

Arizona basically does the same thing with the Big Game Super Raffle. Give the average joe a chance at what is essentially the Governors Tag. I'm all for it.

dwalton is correct. no sheep tag this year.
It will be interesting to see what the odds will be.
long i'm sure. but it's like playing the lotto i guess.
opening day will be the preceding saturday of the first opening day for that species. most likely archery opening day.

>you wont touch a silver state
>tag unless you put a
>pretty good "donation" in there.
>

Umm.... its a RAFFLE

I have bought a single raffle ticket and won something, and been next to someone who has bought several for the same raffle, and not won a damn thing. Its all luck of the draw. Heck, for $20, and it all goes to the Heritage fund anyway, so why not?

>you wont touch a silver state
>tag unless you put a
>pretty good "donation" in there.
>

I'm gonna hope you're joking.

What I like about this set up, If your in a waiting period for a Elk/Antelope, You still can apply for the Elk/Antelope Silver State Tags.

My issue wasn't the tags taken from the other pool, I personally have a problem hunting antelope with a rifle for example while others are archery huntin.

Anyone that has done any huntin knows there are times the animals are vulnerable. (Elk late Sept, Deer late Nov, etc) Nevada avoids these times in most areas and when they do have hunts during the rut, they are mostly archery/muzzy. This allows Nevada to sell more tags because the success will be lower.

So I draw the "Silver State" elk tag and take a 450" bull with my rifle on September 28th 2011. Is that fair?????? Rut crazed elk, during a time they are NEVER hunted with a rifle (or anything else)

BUT I will apply for all three. I just don't like the idea.

Hunter- You ask, "Is that fair?".
My reply, "Hell yes it is....only if I'm the one who draws!!" :)

Steve
Derkha derkha Muhammed jihad hakha sherpha sherpha abakhala- Gary of Team America World Police

The governors tags get to do it every year. Now a lucky individual will get the chance for $20 instead of tens of thousands. I'm all for it and if I had the chance I'd shoot that 400" bull or 200" buck or 85" goat right smack dab in the middle of the rut without hesitation. I think anybody who says they wouldn't do the same is kidding themselves.

As soon as I get done with this post I'm going to HUNTNEVADA and applying. And I didn't say I wouldn't do it. I said I don't like the idea. I love the PIW concept. Hunt any OPEN season.

I'll state my case one more time although most won't agree.

You draw that archery tag. Scout all summer and pattern this toad. Bed him opening day. Wait til the wind is right and start your stalk. 200 yards to go and you slip off your boots. 100 yards to go and your heart is racing. Then you hear a rig. You turn around and watch as 3 guys get out of the truck 600 yards away and start glassing. Oh Crap!! Then one of em 30-378s em from the road.

Gotta go and apply, deer, sheep, PIW deer and Silver State. Good luck all.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom