Simplified Carcass Tagging?

lovehunting

Did they really simplify this process? From what I read you still must tag the carcass if it is unattended in camp, field or vehicle? Your thoughts?

We?ve simplified the process. The license and carcass tag have been combined. All big game
and turkeys must be accompanied by a properly prepared license (described below) or specific,
permanently written licensee information (defined below).
1. Immediately after killing any big game or turkey, the space designated on the license to record
the species must be properly blacked out or punched.
2. Licensee must permanently write the date and time of the kill(s) on the license immediately
upon arrival at a vehicle, camp or place of storage.
3. All kills left unattended in the field, in a vehicle or in camp must be accompanied with a
properly recorded license (see above, 1., 2.) or with specific, permanently written licensee

Agreed. They are minor changes for sure. Only seems to matter if you never leave your carcass unattended.

The only other significant change seems to be the option of leaving a detailed note with the carcass instead of an "official" tag and/or license. Good option if you lost your license during the hunt, I suppose.

Just print off another license, leave one n have one on you :)

I just call em as I see em!

I planning to print at least 3 tags - one to tag the animal left in the field while I pack it out, one to tag the meat at the truck while I pack the rest out, and one to carry with me while transporting meat between kill site and truck.

Just remember to notch and sign ALL the tags you print when you kill. Otherwise it might look like you are trying to continue to hunt.

Travis

And put them in plastic bags so they don't disintegrate. Might even try and find some good waterproof paper to print them on.

This one scares me, it is to easy for people to print multiple tags. Get an elk, get it home, then still have three days to hunt, print another one and go again. Just scares me, you make things easy for people that don't follow the law and they will be more willing to take advantage of it.

Yes Sir sure glad they thought this through and simplified this for everyone. I don't like it at all, to easy to make an honest mistake and to easy to take advantage of the system..

What was wrong with the old system ?
If its not broken why fix it ?
I don't like it,some people will take advantage and continue hunting.

CC

So what are you guys trying to say here? I shouldn't print out 10 copies, 1 for me, 1 for the truck, 1 for each spotter???? This ways so much simpler!

I just call em as I see em!

Some IT guy probably said,we could save a boatload of $ by not printing and mailing tags.....and a building full of wardens did not see the potential for abuse. The scofflaws in the state are going to have a field day.
I liked the way it was too and the good quality of the tag received. Hope they rethink this fiasco in the making....

You can print all the copies you need. But with computers now a days those IT guys are going to know who printed 1 or 10 tags. So don't try to pull a fast one..

Not only that I'm sure there will be Red Flags posted when tags are printed more then once they are a state agency but they ain't exactly a box of rocks...

You print it on plain paper guys. You could print one then make a thousand copies if you wanted. Every one of them are legal.
I printed 3 for my sons hunt. One for my pack, one in the truck, and one just because i can. I also dont see how this "simplified" anything. Saved NMDGF a few bucks i guess. It will be abused i am sure. They will kill on day one or two and keep it quiet then once the meat is safely stored away at home they will be back out hunting again with an un-punched tag. If NMDGF didnt see this coming then no they arent smarter than a box of rocks!

Sorry for the delay.. Going to this system is a step on going completely electronic... There was a huge discussion at commission meeting and even with the old system there were ways to cheat the system if you wanted to. The Dept said that it would save about $400,000 a year. FYI, under the hood the system does count how many times you print the tags...

J-

People that shoot animals and don't punch their tag do it because that's how they operate. This new system won't change a thing.

>Sorry for the delay.. Going to
>this system is a step
>on going completely electronic... There
>was a huge discussion at
>commission meeting and even with
>the old system there were
>ways to cheat the system
>if you wanted to.
>The Dept said that it
>would save about $400,000 a
>year. FYI, under the
>hood the system does count
>how many times you print
>the tags...
>
>J-

Might be some interesting results if they randomly checked those that printed tags midway through the season.

I can see it saving them a lot of money, but it seems a valid argument that it will make it easier for people that have no issue with breaking the law. As far as tracking how many times a tag is printed, they really can't, as the tag can be saved as a PDF and printed from any computer regardless of internet connection.

Yup, I saved mine as a PDF so I can access later without having to go to the NMDGF website. One down load from the NMDGF, but I can print until I am out of ink and the NMDGF would be none the wiser. Without a doubt there will be a lot of ?extra? animals taken this year under this system. Good intentions by the NMDGF in saving money, but maybe a little too much ignorance or trust. Utilizing the practices of other game departments might not be the best thing. Back east this system probably isn't too big of a deal especially when you are working with a population of whitetail in the millions per state. Having an extra 1000 whitetail killed while illegal isn't likely to have a tremendous impact overall. Out west killing just an extra 100 elk can have a big impact, especially when you factor multiple years of doing this.

Gentlemen, you all have great points that I did not think about, however I for one will be a little more aware of what is going on in the woods and will not hesitate to give DOW a call on any suspicious activities that I deem a possible poaching violation. With our state being so large, a few extra eyes will help manage our game. I wish you all the best on your up coming hunts.
Jack

This is what came to my mind first. After you print/save to a pdf, nobody can track how often you print the document.

I see the reasoning ($$) behind wanting to go paperless. I'm sure there are a few who will take advantage of the flaws in the system, but I would imagine that those will be the same people who tried to take advantage of the old system.

How many of you thought "Wow, it's so easy now, I think I'll print several tags and fill my freezer with meat this year."? Based on the conversation in this thread - probably not many.

>This is what came to my
>mind first. After you
>print/save to a pdf, nobody
>can track how often you
>print the document.
>
>I see the reasoning ($$) behind
>wanting to go paperless.
>I'm sure there are a
>few who will take advantage
>of the flaws in the
>system, but I would imagine
>that those will be the
>same people who tried to
>take advantage of the old
>system.
>
>How many of you thought "Wow,
>it's so easy now, I
>think I'll print several tags
>and fill my freezer with
>meat this year."? Based
>on the conversation in this
>thread - probably not many.
>

I think you potentially have 3 groups of people.

One group that go by the law entirely, which I'm sure is most people here. This change won't affect them.

Another group that will take advantage of the system regardless and will poach. This change won't affect them.

Last group that will "bend" the law if it's easy to do so without getting caught. Those are the ones I'm thinking that will take advantage of this. Hopefully there isn't enough of these people to hurt our wildlife but who knows.

Just my thoughts.

Travis

Travis summed it up.

It's a question of how many people fall in #3 category: the "benders".

I personally doubt the new change will result in any measurable increase in poaching.

Carl

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom