Sitka Gear

joesikora

Long Time Member
Hi all, I have a question. Why is this brand of gear so good and if it is that good why do I see it for sale so much?

As always thanks for your time.

Joe

"Sometimes you do things wrong for so long you think their right"

-Joe E Sikora

Good question! The cost is very high too. But then as the old saying goes "you get what you pay for". But their high cost and guys getting rid of it for what ever reason, who knows!

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

I bought a set of 90% six years ago and they have been some of the best hunting togs I've had. I needed some good rain gear for the weather up here in Alaska so I didn't hesitate to but a set of Sitka Cloudburst. The first time I went hunting my knees were soaked after only a few hours of walking through the ferns. I was pissed. Come to find out, they are made in China now instead of Canada. I don't know if that has anything to do with the quality now but I'll never buy Sitka again. Sitka wants me to send them back so they can look for defects. They're not defective, they're just not waterproof as advertised.

For long distance dial 1-800-338-EDGE

I thought it might be an upgrade from my $70 rain gear worn under my regular hunting clothes. Boy was I wrong!! I feel so ripped off by Sitka. Anyone I see wearing there logo, I will let them know. What a waist of money!!!

I'm not one for telling my grandson how big of turd I had to pinch off from having to eat so much meat. I want to give him the trophies that hang from my wall and tell him the unforgettable experience that came with each and every one.

I can't vouch for their rain gear, but I do like their layering system. I don't own it currently, but have used it myself in the past. I think it's good and top quality, but high. I've compared it with tons of others, and its either lighter weight, fits better, feels more quality - that's always the conclusion I've came to. But it comes at a price.

Now as to why people are selling it - I don't know. Like me, I think they realized it was too high to be wearing as a hunting garment. Other options will certainly suffice and I don't think you're putting your life at risk to user option B. You can get a full 3 piece suit, several jackets, several pairs of jeans, etc for what you pay for 1 jacket. Your wife buys a $300 coat and you're gonna have a reaction if you're like most.

Another reason - heck, when you put on all that crap - you feel out of place. You have $1,500 worth of clothes on your back for a hunt. Get real. I felt out of place with it on. Unless you're a guide or do some serious hunting each year (40+ days).

My experience has been that Sitka gear is generally awesome, but I also agree it is over priced. I have actually had great success with the rain gear as well, and I never got wet during a soggy NWT 10 day hunt. My 90% jacket is 100% worth it and my favorite piece of outer wear. AGAIN, I did not pay full price for any of it.
Generally the materials and workmanship are superior to anything else I have owned (except some new KUIU stuff I also now own) and I guess their marketing strategy is to sell to the highest bidder.
I could get by hunting in a pair of jeans like I used to, and I could also get by hunting out of a Volkswagen bus, but I don't!

>Why would you ever buy anything
>that was advertised 90% ???
>

The 90% line is NOT their raingear, it is supposed to be everything but, so for the 90% of the time it is not raining, it is a good piece of clothing (or so people say).

The cloudburst line is one of their raingear items, that is what leaked on him.

I have several items of Sitka that haven't been fully tested. However, I refuse to pay sticker price. Both were on sale for about 1/2 price.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

All of their stuff is very comfortable to wear. I just have an issue with an ungodly expensive set of raingear that wasn't rainproof from day one. Now they want me to send it back so they can see if it's "defective". I live in Alaska fer christ sakes! I have a brown bear bowhunt coming up in two weeks. I live on an island in the gulf of Alaska where it's a bushplane or boat ride to any kind of city and it rains 63% of the time. I HAVE to stay dry. It's damn important that I have good quality set of raingear. Sitka Gear should have a disclaimer on their ads that say "this garment is not approved for Alaska weather"!

just my 2 cents !! I bought Sitka ascent pants for warm weather & the 90% pants for colder weather !! also have Core 4 pants & some shirts !! I myself love the Opti fade pattern have had many many close encounters with deer elk & yotes some as close as 3 yards !! But I will Not waste my $$ on Sitka anymore DONT get me wrong AWESOME GEAR but NOT worth the $$ I just picked up some KUIU gear made with the same type of material only its BETTER WARMER LIGHTER DRIES FASTER & wears better than Sitka & its 1/2 the cost of Sitka gear !!! their pants that are their version of Sitkas 90% pants are $140 compared to $300 !! AGAIN Sitka is great gear just over priced !!! you can buy new Sitka gear on Camofire.com or Amazon or EBAY for 1/2 of what ANY of the sporting goods store it for also !!!!

>Hi would you mind telling me
>which kuiu pants are the
>same as sitkas 90 percent?
> Thanks

I ran "shitka" for a good number of years, mainly because of a guide discount I received. I can't say a single guide I worked with was much impressed with it. The gear doesn't live up to its price. About a year and a half ago I switched to kuiu and have been nothing but satisfied. I would say the guide pant would be the closest thing to the 90% pant but better IMO.

Coloradoboy

>
>
>I bought Sitka pants and
>a shirt, theirs been more
>game killed with Levi Jeans.
>

Levi jeans have about a 80 plus year jump on kuiu and sitka.. Just saying

I own probably 10 different items of Sitka and about the same of Kuiu. Sitka does not compare to Kuiu. I get a good discount on Sitka and still end up buying Kuiu. Just got back from a 6 day archery elk hunt where it rained every day, I wore Sitka's raingear pants (yes their actual raingear, not the 90%) with high hopes. I purchased these pants last minute because Kuiu gear can take forever on their high demand items and my Chugach NX never came in. To make a long story short, the pants were worthless after 3 days of riding in a saddle, they literally started coming apart, very disappointing when you look at how much they cost. Kuiu is much better andalso cheaper if you can actually get the items in a reasonable amount of time.

Usually on sale to out market and beat Cabelas brand name and Under Amour. This is what I have and love it. Breathable and comfortable

I can't believe some of Sitka's stuff is 600-700 bucks now. I could buy another gun for that much. I'll pass on the super expensive stuff and go with wool or kuiu or something else instead of a $700 jacket.

When my ascent pants finally wear out I'll get some new Kuiu pants for sure. I've got those Sitka timberline pants and am so annoyed that the butt gets wet and they don't have big enough belt loops to wear a real belt with them. Also the knee pads are awkward to me so i just took them out.

I do love the comfort of the ascent pants and find them to be excellent for most of my hunts. I just change to warmer or lighter thermals underneath depending on the weather. I'm over 6' with an athletic build and like that they stretch and move well. I'm hoping Kuiu fits well for me too.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom