Sleeping Bag Favorites?

R

rost495

I am going to buy a bag for my wife and one for me. I'm pretty much sold on Wiggys. And am sold on the layered system. It won't be cheap, but I will end up with anything from cool to very cold and in layers as needed. And their overbag provides the inner one protection.

Before I jump into this-- does anyone have any input?

I'll be hunting anywhere from New Mexico at 8000 feet up to timberline and all the way to Alaska in the fall a few times.

My thoughts are that since I may end up anything from backpacking to horses to flying in, that the layered system is a good deal as I can also control the weight of the bags depending on the temps expected to encounter.

I am sold on the fact that they are not down and insulate when wet.

But all input is very welcome!

Thanks, Jeff

Jeff,

I own a Wiggy's Super lite weight. It is rated to zero F. I generally get cold in it around 32 F. It has colds spots where the lamalite insulation is not consistent. I took it in to Wiggy's since they are local here and was not satisfied with the owner, Jerry Wigatow's response. They do not pack as compactly as my Marmot Bag and are much heavier. The bag I have is ten years old and I understand that they have improved the hood design which in mine is best described as primitive. I use it for car camping only, It didn't live up to the hype and I wouldn't trade my Marmot bag for it.

The layering system is a good idea if you have a pack animal to carry it around for you.

BeanMan

Beanman

Thanks for the reply! Tell me more about Marmot? Need something that will insulate if it got wet(for alaskas sake). What model Marmot and how much does it weigh? I"ll go look on the web. I assume Marmot is the brand name?

Jeff

Jeff,

Marmot Mountain Works, they used to be be a Grand Junction compnay years ago. They still make top of the line bags and garments. My bag is a Gore-tex down one but they do make synthetic. It was 16 years ago I bought mine and I don't remember the model. They do cost a bit more than generic brands.

Maybe at lunch I'll wander by the Wiggy's store and check them out, see if they look any different now.

cheers,

BeanMan

Bean Man

If you get a chance to drop by I"d appreciate it. The more info, negative or positive, the better in my books.

Jeff

Jeff, I have had a Marmot Pocket Gopher for 12 years. Its gore-tex and 650 goose down. I take take of it by never leaving it in a stuff bag ( except when being packed ) and hanging it by a hanger in the closet. It keeps it from being compacted and the loft full. It weighs 3 Lbs and is a mummy bag. Rated to -10. This bag is probably the best buy I have made. 500.00 when I bought it. It has been to Alaska, Wyoming , Colorado, Nevada, Utah and California. I have never been cold. I always sleep in a tent and on a pad. I also own a Marmot 3 season tent. I don't think you can go wrong with any Marmot product. My 2 cents. Gary

Here in utah we have a local favorite, NEBO products, I love my Nebo bag never been cold in it and spent some nights in pretty cold weather look um up they are well worth the money. ~G4

I have Wiggy's Ultimate Thule(-40) and the only negative I have is that it's bulky to pack-weighs about 8lbs or so-other than that it's a winner--I've had it for 5 years--chris

thanks for all the extra info. Down is out of my formula. I just do not want to run the risk of somehow getting a down bag wet and dying because of it.

Other than that I'll look at the other options a bit also.

If I choose to get Wiggys I'll make sure I can return if not satisfied.

My goal was to get a double type bag. IE one layer would be light around 2-3 pounds and cover down to 30-20 or so and be used for backpacking. Then add an outer layer and get down to really cold proof but the added weight wouldn't be so bad as I would only be going by horse or plane if its that cold.

Thanks again, love all the input from the site.

Jeff

Idunno:) I use to use high dollar bags and the good ones were just to big to pack around. I been using a couple different modrate priced Slumber Jack bags the last few years and they have served me well. I do use a after market liner to adjust to different temps. Heres the real kicker, I had a problem that I'm sure was due to user abuse with a Slumber Jack bag. They back them up for life, So I called and they told me to cut a peice of the bag the size of an envelope with a small part of the zipper on it and mail it to them. No proof of purchase or any thing. I had a new bag in the mail inside of ten days. That meant a lot to me.
Thats my two cents worth, Do what turns your crank Jeff and have a good time.

That other ~Jeff~ dude

The next bag I buy will be a gore-tex/down model. With synthetic down, you have to be sure that you don't leave it in its compressed sack at all except for packing in. I leave mine hanging in a closet and transport it loosely in a storage bag until I get to the pack in point, put it in the compression sack and unpack it right after getting to the campsite. I think they have gotten better with synthetic down, but it still will lose it loft if left compressed for any length of time. Down will lose its loft too, but will retain its loft longer under compressed state than the synthetics. I think with gore-tex type coverings, I would rather have the down.

However, don't buy the "very water resistant" or so called DWR finish that is supposed to shed water. Resistant, but not water proof is the key word.

That said, I have owned a Sierra Designs bag with polarguard 3-D in a "0" bag for about 4 years, and while I have to be careful about compression, it has served me well and has maintained its loft. Have been comfortable down to at least 20 degrees.

I would recommend at least a "0" bag or lower that compresses well and is less than 4 lbs if you plan on packing in to hunt. If you think you really may be in "0" conditions, then get a -20 bag. I have yet to see a "layered" bag that meets these criteria.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

On to the down issue. Are you folks telling me that I should buy down and if worried about it getting dunked, keep it in a waterproof stuff sack? And not worry about a tent being demolished from something and the bag being wet when I get back at nite.

Just feeling it out.

have a military down bag that I don't like. I also have an ECWS bag that seems like part down and part synthetic something. I really like that bag tons. But its heavy. And I'm aftraid of what happens if it gets dunked out of a boat or plane by accident 100 miles from civilization.

PS-- does anyone else sleep in their bags with minimal clothes? I was told that was the way to make the bag efficient years ago, I laughed but tried it later. I sleep with not much on now and sure seems warmer than if I keep my insulated clothes on.

Jeff

Jeff,

I spent some time down at Wiggy's Today. Even talked to the owner. I'm going to bring my old bag in and see what he has to say. I noticed that mine has a row of buttons with 1/16th holes in them right next to the zipper. The new bags don't. Anyway it will be interesting to see what happens.

The bags don't appear to have changed much if any in design, the hoods are not contoured so are not as comfortable when 'mummied' up. One of the main principles of wiggy's bags is there are no quilting lines so there won't be any cold spots associated with them.

For a moderately priced bag they are not a bad choice. The lack of quilting lines is good, synthetic silicone treated lamilite insulation supposed to be hydrophobic. The -20 Thulie looked pretty warm.

Wiggy gives a 40% discount for walk ins at the factory in Grand Junction which makes them fairly cheap to purchase. They don't look as modern as many bags but fairly heavy and bullet proof.

I still like my gore-tex down bag because of size and weight but am never really in a situation where a wet bag would kill. For Alaska or long periods of time in winter/wet conditions I would go synthetic.

Lots of choices, only you can make your's.

BeanMan

I used to have a job where I was paid to camp out at least four nights a week. I have used many different brands of bags and only found out about Wiggys a few years ago. I wish I had known about them earlier. I use the ultimate thule system. This offers alot of versatility. I have slept outside very comfortably on elk hunts when it got so cold that my truck would not turn over
in the morning. I have also slept at the bottom of the grand canyon in early march with just the overbag. I always give my bag a good shake or fluffing before crawling inside and sleep with a good pair of polypro underwear on. I have never ever been cold. I have overheated a few times but that is easy to take care of. The owner is not liked in the outdoor industry because he is not PC. He is also a big supplier to the military and you know how that goes over with tree huggers, rump rangers, and pacifists in general. The bags do insulate when wet and that might just save your life someday.

Jeff... You got a PM in your mailbox.

Happy trails
Ridge Runner
"Now Pilgrim,you sure you can skin grizz"

I forgot to post about the lamilite insulation compressing and staying that way. I have to call BS on that one as Wiggys offers a bag that has been vacuumed packed. It is flat as a pancake and will fit under a bush pilot's seat or where ever. Pop open the bag one month or ten years later shake it out and you are good to go. I believe they will vacuum pack any bag you want for 150 dollars. You would have to know your product and have confidence in it to offer such a service.

BeanMan

Thanks for taking your valuable time. Gonna call Wiggys and see what I come up with for sure now.

May have to buy a gore/down bag for backpacking for weight and go Wiggys for serious occassions.

To all the others, thanks for all your input. I've looked at a bunch of other options and its super appreciated for your time to post so I can snoop. I value field info more than any other.

Thanks again, like I said, may end up with 2 brands for different uses but thats the way it goes.

BTW I'll post on how Wiggys new bags work out once I buy a set, and if it ever freezes down here. That may be a few months though.

Jeff

I wouldn't disregard down so quickly. Ounce for ounce it is the best insulator out there. Remember those geese swim in fridgid water and stay might toasty. An inexpensive plastic garbage bag will keep your down bag clean and dry in your backpack as well as in your tent.
I'm not a fan of those cumbersome layer type bags. I prefer a good fitting down mummy bag. If you want to stay warm you need a mummy bag because those rectangular bags just have too much air space in them.
The only way to warm the air space in a mummy bag is through your own body heat. That means you can't trap your body heat under long underwear. A pair of shorts is all you need to wear in a sleeping bag. No shirts-No socks-no hats.
I've also found temp ratings to be very misleading especially if you have pushed yourself physically out in the field all day. My rule of thumb is most temp ratings are 20 degrees off. If your expecting lows of 20 degrees, go with a 0 degree bag.
I've had good luck with the North Face bags. But remember fit is important. Go to a store and get into the bags and see how they fit. If a bag is too big you'll stay cold in it for sure(too much air space).

LAST EDITED ON Oct-30-04 AT 06:34AM (MST)[p]>I forgot to post about the
>lamilite insulation compressing and staying
>that way. I have to
>call BS on that one
>as Wiggys offers a bag
>that has been vacuumed packed.
>It is flat as a
>pancake and will fit under
>a bush pilot's seat or
>where ever. Pop open the
>bag one month or ten
>years later shake it out
>and you are good to
>go. I believe they will
>vacuum pack any bag you
>want for 150 dollars. You
>would have to know your
>product and have confidence in
>it to offer such a
>service.

I am intrigued by the claim they make that lamiloft does not lose its loft, ever, and even under compression. If true, this is truly a breakthrough in synthetic insulation. I am sort of skeptical, so if anyone has experience with this, let us know.

I agree not to overdress to sleep in a bag. I have always stayed warm in just a T-shirt and underware. Also wearing longjohns at night makes your hair hurt! What I mean by that is that you body hair gets turned the wrong way as you move around in the bag and is uncomfortable to me.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

rost,

Make your own. Out of buffalo hide and Canadian geese or something.;-)

That is pretty cool you can build your own bow.

ktc

Haha. I am working on an elk hide bedspread for winter warmth. Only thing I'm short at the moment is I may never get an elk

PS my parents used to pull down for feather beds and pillows. I'm not quite that old, but I was shown how once. I don't think I'm gonna be attempting that anytime soon!

Jeff

I've had down and a couple of synthetic bags. I believe you need to think about where you will be doing most of your hunting. If it's in the rockies, then my favorite is my down bag. But, I've been doing most of my hunting in Alaska the last 4 years & I wouldn't take a down bag there. It can rain for days & down turns into feather soup. I have a North Face Goliath bag made of synthetic Polar 3D. I weigh about 200lbs so I bought an "expansion Baffle" that adds 9 inches of girth to this mummy style bag. It's rated to 0, but I've only been in it to about 30 deg. Very light weight & plenty warm. Goes for about $140.

Thanks to all of your info I've made another decision. Seems like the odds are that I'll have to get synthetic for Alaska type hunts and then we'll both buy lightweight down gore tex bags for backpack hunts.

Thanks, Jeff

rost,

I don't know if you want your "own" elk hide, but if you are just looking for a hide, I am sure most here could fill your bill at some point.

Just ask if that is the case. Someone would send ya a good hide. Lots of late season hunts coming up.

You can chalk me up for another Wiggy's disatisfied customer. I too have the "Super Lite" 0 degree bag at a heavy 5 pounds. You can get the same rating with down and shave 1 1/2 - 2 pounds off.

I too get cold spots and wake often in temps that are only in the 30's. When I go elk hunting in Aug-Sept here in Utah I double bag. I put my wiggy's inside another summer bag so I don't get cold.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom