Sleeping Bag Liners

COSA

Thinking about getting one to enhance a 15 degree bag for a mid October hunt. Does anyone use these? Silk or sythentic?

I have a Sea to Summit Reactor Thermolite liner. I really like it. it is very small and light weight. they claim it adds 15 degrees. i would say maybe 10 in reality. they are $50.00 just about everywhere, in my opinion it is definitely worth it.

Spend a few bucks more than the liner and buy another bag. I purchased a Cabela's Treker 0 deg mummy bag three or four years ago. The price was right and I figured if I did'nt like it I could send it back. I love it. Best bag I have ever bought for the price. You can get it in a -20 model also. I think they run about $70 give or take a few bucks.
Norkal

I have the same bag, Cabela's Trekker 0 degree mummy and I have been freezing my *ss off in it. The -20 degree bag keeps me considerably warmer if you don't mind the extra bulk. I bought a sleeping bag liner from Campmor for around 30-40 bucks. It's a micro fleece. It comes with a stuff sack and does not add too much bulk. I was thinking that if I added a few more degrees of warmth, that would be all I need. We'll see. According to what I have read, a liner has a dual purpose, it adds warmth to your bag and it also keeps your natural body oils and bacteria from getting into your sleeping back which is not suppose to be good for your sleeping bag...basically...extending the life of your bag. I am going to find out if this liner works this sept. on a wilderness backpacking elk hunt in CO.

Wannabee,
Not questioning your experience, but something that took me years to figure out was that at times I had too much bag. I would fall asleep nice and warm and wake up freezing my butt off. The problem was I would sweat and then get chilled. I have several bags and try to match the bag to the trip I am taking. I have an arctic bag that has kept me comfortable in temps below -30. That bag is worthless for me in mild climates, even unzipped. Anyhow, you may have figured this out quicker than I as I'm probably not the sharpest knife in the drawer! For me the Treker has worked great for what it was designed for. I agree that a liner is a great way to keep the inside of a bag clean and add a little warmth, I just thought I'd give an alternative.
Norkal

Get one of the fleece liners at Big 5, Bass pro or any of those places they are cheap and work great.They cost like 12 bucks

Go to a military surplus store and get a bivvy sack instead of a liner. The reason I say military surplus is because the gore-tex military one is cheaper than going to REI or somethin like that. I slept in a snow cave with no pad and was warm in a 15 degree bag. The liner will cause you to sweat on the inside of your bag the bivvy will not. Your bag may be a little damp on the outside, but that condensation or sweat is not forming on your body or in the bag where is makes a huge difference. Just my experience. Was a mountain survival instructor in CO and was also in the military(hence the military bivvy) I hope this helps.

Aim Center Mass
rifleman.gif

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom