Slipped in the back door

Magicman

LAST EDITED ON Feb-01-10 AT 06:49PM (MST)[p]I've been around about a week and have made a few posts, so I guess it's about time that I stood up and identified myself.

I'm 66 years old, own/operate a portable sawmill and live to hunt. I've made 30 DIY hunting trips to Colorado/Wyoming, hunting antelope, mule deer, and elk. Some years have been successful and most have not.

I have 15 Colorado NR elk preference points, and have finally realized that I'm too old to ever catch up with the "point crawl" to hunt area 2.

I'm planning on burning those points on a 1st rifle area 61 hunt this year. Looking at last year's odds, I should draw.

I'll be searching for any information that might make this "once a lifetime" hunt a success.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-03-10 AT 07:13AM (MST)[p]Several of the Memebers on here has good information on this unit. I hope they share with you. Welcome

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Thanks for the Welcomes. I had been here reading posts and sorta lurking, so I figured that it was time for an introduction.

Yes, my eggs are going to really be in one basket with this hunt, but I now realize with the "point crawl" that I was never going to draw unit 2.

I hope that I do get some guidance. Being 1500 miles away, it's hard to scout.

magicman -

check out the CO forum. there is a post going currently regarding unit 61. you may want to check it out. i think it could point you in the right direction.

good luck.
mshred

Magicman, I've worked as a saw filer in a sawmill for the past 17 years. I'm 61. Welcome, I'm sure you have a bunch of great hunting stories.

Eel

Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

Magicman,
You should draw. Plan on as much time before the hunt as possible for scouting and looking around the unit. The hunt itself is only five days so you need a good plan before opening day. Its big and there are plenty of roads and places for bulls to hide. The habitat types are everything from evergreen forest on top to aspen patches to oak brush to sagebrush, and you can find elk from top to bottom.

I would recommend finding a good outfitter its a once in a lifetime hunt and you only live once, 15pts is worth way more than the cost of an outfitter and alot of outfitters have private access so that will be to your advantage. Good luck. JMO!

Windage and elevation pilgrim windage and elevation

Avsman, I thank you for your very valid recommendation, but there is an issue that prevents that option for me. Financial.

My only option is to be in the very best physical condition possible. Research the Colorado Game Management maps. Use Google Earth. Study the Uncompahgre NF map, and trust any recommendations offered by forum members.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom