Small game question

Z

I'll be one of the guys heading up with BaldBeaver in pursuit of elk in the Uintas this fall. That being said...since I can't hunt does or cows.....

I am thinking about carring my wife's little 410/.22lr combo to revert back to the basics of hunting while out there. I believe small game is where most of us began hunting and it is just plain fun sometimes.

Please correct me if I am wrong because I want to make sure I got this right.

I can carry both barrels with me. Mostly the 410 since you can not shoot grouse with a rifle. If I see a rabbit or two I can switch out barrels and hunt.

You need to draw a permit to shoot sage or sharp tailed grouse but not the others. I can shoot blue and ruffled grouse along with chukar, correct?

I didn't see anything in there about squirrels. Are there any squirrels?

Thanks in advance ya'll!

There's not much small game on the mtn where you will be hunting elk. If you do find something to shoot at you will scare all the elk away. Not many squirrels, not a very good idea.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Ya Know?

You can shoot Squirrels & Tweety Birds about 320 days a year!

Why spook the Elk your buddy will be trying to sneak up on during the Elk Hunt?

I Swear to GAWD the South Slope has more PLINKING going on during Big Game Hunts than any other place on Earth!

Not being Smart here Z,but these Uinta Elk are educated,the more shots fired the Wiser they become,lots of Deep Dark Timber,they don't tolerate a bunch of Plinking!

On the other hand,Please shoot every f'n squirrel while you're here!:D

For GAWDS Sakes Guys,We Got Kids on this Site,Some of them are 65 years Old!:D

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

Not tryin to discourage you Guys!

I just always took the Big Game Huntin Serious & thought the Bird Huntin could wait till Big stinky season was over!

It's legal so have at it!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-20-11 AT 08:15PM (MST)[p]I do also....just thought some camp bird is always better than MREs :)

Guess my recurve and some blunts will have to do. Oh no!!!!! :)

I promise you B_Bop, we take it serious. I do nothing but research on the areas i am looking to hunt. I spend approximately 4 hours minimum a day, reading, scouring over maps, asking questions of fellow hunters, calling biologists. All in an effort to have the most enjoyable, all be it successful hunt that I can. I think Z just wants to grill some bird over a homemade spit one night. We are planning roughly 8 days of hunting, living out of our packs, and mre's and freeze dried can get a bit old. Doable yes, but some bird along the way one night would be nice.
~BaldBeaver

I can understand it!

But I'm warning you on alot of Plinking!

These are educated Elk!

They know what Gun Fire is all about!

I'd try & get a Bull down first,eat BackStraps & then try for a Pine chicken!:D

I here ya, I talked with Z, I am anxious to see his skills with his recurve. The problem i am having, is I can decide if I should go up into the wilderness on the west/central/ or east side of the south slope. What would you do if you were me? I was thinking of going in east of Moon lake.
~BaldBeaver

LAST EDITED ON Jun-20-11 AT 11:59PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-20-11 AT 11:58?PM (MST)

Lets do this Chuck Norris style and parachute in :)

I'm just anxious to get started! Honestly....all I need is my slingshot and we will eat like kings!!!

Back to reality....we need to get boots on the ground in order to determine what will be best. I know I am of no help.

We will make this happen, I am trying to narrow down where to enter the wilderness, Then we can boots on the ground.
~BaldBeaver

Seeing your from Nevada I thought I would bring up that in Utah all small fury things aren't not considered small game. Some require a furbearers permit.

Well BB!

Gonna be real honest with you!

If I knew exactly where a Big Bull was on the Uinta's I wouldn't tell you where he was,I'd be after him myself!

Not being arrogant either,just Truthful!

The South Slope is Big Country with Elk Scattered across the Slope!

There are Elk in every Drainage!

There's an average of 1 Big Bull per year that will come off the South Slope(General Hunt!) that will break the 350" mark!

Not a Place known for lots of Big Bulls,but there are a few!

Most Bulls taken are anything from Cows/Spikes on up to Raghorn 5-6 points with rare occasions of a Big Boy being Harvested!

You stomp back in to the Wilderness there will be way less Hunters!

With warmer Late Falls the last several years the Rifle Hunt has still had Bugling activity but winding down!

If I could tell you exactly where to go I would,just gotta be in the right place at the right time!

Not being arrogant about the Plinking but if you're stomping back in to the Wilderness I would NOT be making any extra noise but then again that's just me!

Good Luck,there is Elk scattered across the Uinta's!

Hope to see some Pics this Fall!

At least a few Rabbit & Pine Chicken Pic's!(RAZZIN YA!)

No sir we have not. We both have extensive amount of time hunting but not out here. We are both avid outdoorsman, and Z is a prior S.E.R.E. instructor for the military, so he has extensive wilderness training as far as survival goes. We are just very excited for or upcoming hunt, I can not begin to explain the level of intensity. I am one step short of marking x's on a calender though. To me it will be better than x-mas.
~BaldBeaver

I appreciate it B-Bop, I wouldnt blame you for not giving a way the location of a big bull, I wouldnt either. We are not heading up there with the intentions of a monster bull. a pisscutter 5 point would be a hunt celebrated at the highest level. I agree with you about hte plinkin thing, Z is out of his mind...(razzin ya Z). I am really just looking forward to the experience of that wilderness with friends, and the grandure that is the great outdoors. To me Raghorn would be a trophy. I do thank you for your honesty though. A rare quality in people now a days.
~BaldBeaver

No kidding on the honesty!

I'm not trying to kill his hunt in any way.....I might just use my ninja skills to trap something for dinner or use my recurve.

Chances are I'll just sit there eating my MRE/my own words and shut up :)

What kind of weather are we looking at?

Well BB!

I don't mind passing on General Info!

I just can't Guarantee anything,it's Huntin you know?

And an Open Bull Unit at that!

Ask Z this?

Does He own a Fishin Pole?

Lots of High Mountain Lakes & Streams with Lunch & Dinner in them!

If you keep your eyes peeled you'll probably see some Deer & Mountain Goats,not alot of Deer in the High Country but a Few!

No Z,you can't shoot Goats & Deer for Camp Meat!:D

Weather can be anywhere from nice/mild to down right Nasty!

Some of the Coldest/Wettest times I've ever spent were on the Uintahs!

Be Prepared!

Even though recent years have been Mild on the General Elk Hunt you can't out guess Mother Nature,every time I've tried I got my Butt kicked!

+100 on the fishing

All you need is a mepps and a jakes spin a lure. There will be plenty of fish to eat, I am not much of a fisheater but those wild high lake fish are not too bad.
Good luck finding your adventure

I'll tell you who it was . . . it was that D@MN Sasquatch!

I agree with BOP, TONS of fishing up there. Just about every creek and pond has something in it and if you're up high you'll pass a lot of them. Brookies make for some fantastic additions to the dinner.

A couple of years ago on the opener we were socked in by a nasty blizzard at about 10,000 ft. I had my 11 year old daughter with me and were weathering it out in a pine stand.

We ran into a couple of guys just after the storm who were about a mile away at a little lake. They started a small fire in the tree's to wait out the storm. One of them always has a fishing pole and while the other guys were getting the fire going he caught a few fish. They enjoyed the storm feasting on hot fish.

I try to always have a pole in my pack now.....not just for the storms but in the middle of the day when the hunting is slow the fish are still biting!!!

respect my authorita

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom