Snakes!

Cornhusker

Long Time Member
I've never really had problems with snakes before but it has been too tough for me this year. Last night bowhunting antelope was about the end for me until it gets cold. I had killed a rattler on Saturday while scouting deer. I was trying to put a stalk on an antelope still 250 yards away last night, when I duck walked right into a rattler about 3 feet in front of me. His head was up with the tail rattling. I jumped backwards which was the wrong thing to do I know, sometimes its hard to control a reaction. When I jumped back I got hit by a snake I had already went past. I,m not sure if he didn't get fangs out, or if he just hit me with his nose or side as he struck, but not a mark or even holes in my pants. I got calmed down and got out of there real carefully, saw 3 more snakes before I got out of the area.

I have hunted the same ranch this is my 30th year and very seldom seen a rattler maybe one every 5 years or so. When I was talking to my friend the guy who ranches the place he said he's had 2 horses snakebit in the last week. Its been hot and dry lately but any idea why suddenly so many rattlers. This is Nebraska we don't have that many usually. Archery antelope runs from August 20th to December 31st so I guess I have no real reason to hurry. I think I'm done scouting deer for a while as well. I guess I might be a pansy but never been hit by a rattle snake before. I always expect to run into one or two in Wyoming or Colorado and only have once in 13 trips. I don't think I'll Grouse and Chicken hunt the dogs until it gets cold.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-31-11 AT 02:10PM (MST)[p]I will not kill non venomous snakes, but I will kill every rattlesnake I come across. I have seen the results of rattler snake bites on people. The damage to skin and muscle is terrible.

Cornhusker, you may have a law there that prevents you from packing a pistol while bow hunting. I would think about ignoring it for several reasons. The snakes are plentiful and out by your own obeservations. You are hunting a private ranch and have little chance of running across a warden. Every snake you kill with snakeloads will be doing a favor to your rancher friend as he is running livestock.

Or get your shotgun and spend a day varmit snake shooting to help out the rancher

Since you had two snakes that close together, you may have been near their den where they come out to sun themselfs after cool nights.

RELH

I don't think twice about carrying a pistol. I'm in such an isolated area the only people I see are the ones I call when I can find a hill high enough to get phone reception. I do carry a pistol some times but not with bowhunting, it is always in my way. I kill all rattlers, leave all others alone usually with a walking stick I carry when scouting. Its the ones I don't see that have got me a little spooked. I only had my bow and wasn't going to ruin broadheads on snakes.

I RUN ACROSS A FAIR NUMBER OF SNAKES IN MY AREA, I WEAR LEGGINS OF KEVLAR & WALK WITH A STOUT POLE. THE POLE IS GOOD TO SHOOT OFF OF, GOOD BALANCE, & YOU CAN WHACK A RATTLER REAL DEAD WITH IT.........THE LEGGINS ALLOW YOU TO HUNT & NOT WORRY MUCH......YD.

There is a very healthy population of them in NE. I am in Sidney and we get piles of them around work all summer long. Good luck on the archery tag. Have not hunted them yet but will start shortly.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-31-11 AT 05:02PM (MST)[p]Apparently northern Utah has a unusual number of rattlesnake this year as well. At least that's the report I'm getting from my son that has been out a lot the last 2 weeks. He's encountered many more this year than in the past.

Isn't this the time of year rattlesnakes move to their winter denning areas. They say they travel long distances and hundreds will den together. Maybe it's "traveling time" for these snakes and your near their winter den, so a bunch are starting to concentrate where you happen to be duck walking. Getting you neck and face down that close to the ground, when your in a snake infested area might be just a tad risky.

Be interesting to know if there are larger numbers of snakes on other areas of this ranch or just close to the spot you were at.

Kill'em.

Grouse eats better than deer anyway, IMO.

DC

I hate, no I loathe snakes. I leave tomorrow with my son antelope hunting and you tell me the snakes are thick this year. Thanks a bunch!!

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

i went out the other night after work to check my trailcams. i left work at nine and got out of the truck to hike in at about 1015. no moon so i took a flashlight with me. i topped a ridge and looked down to see a snake coiled about 3 feet in front of me. i nearly sh** myself. after retreating and investigating i found it was just a blowsnake but at that point i had snakes on the brain. it took me a long time to reach my cam because i had to scour the land before i could place my feet anywhere. i dont care what kind or snake it is i hate seeing them.

bill engvall said it best. they can move and they dont have legs, thats the devil, its in the bible

Something must be going on with rattlers this year. Here in Northeastern Ca.they have shown up in housing communities that people have never heard of them being before. A young man was bitten a couple of weeks ago taking his trash out. This poor kid was bitten last year out fighting a fire with the forest service when he crawled into his sleeping bag. I'll bet he's a little Leary about going anywhere now.

Get a grip you pussies... kill them all... I mean all of them... sh!t now I'll have nightmares all f'n night.

Slick

"The Road goes on forever & the Party never Ends"

LAST EDITED ON Aug-31-11 AT 07:29PM (MST)[p]There's a bunch of em in south central Idaho also.
The last couple of years we've been over run with millions of Voles, and i mean MILLIONS!!! I think the snakes have been eating good on em and have had a high survival rate for the young uns due to all that easy grub.

I don't really care for snakes,but I don't see any reason to kill em either, just go around em and let em be.
I've had eight Rattlers in my yard this year, kinda crazy cuz in 11 years here i never seen a Rattler in my yard, plenty of other kinds of snakes though, I just use a ski pole and fling em out into the sage.
My neighbor killed this one in his garage awhile back, he made a sweet hat band with it.

7011snake_002.jpg

>Get a grip you pussies... kill
>them all... I mean all
>of them... sh!t now I'll
>have nightmares all f'n night.
>

Call us pu$$ies and you're the one having nightmares. What a wuss... make sure the night light is on too before crawling into bed. :eek:)

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

It's funny that this came up today, because I just ran one over on a four wheeler ride a few hours ago. I didn't even know that I hit him until my friend told me. Once I found out I went back and ran over him atleast ten more times and then smashed him with a rock. I really DO NOT like snakes!

I had this one climb into my make shift ground blind with me. The ground was sloped so I was leaning back against my pack and glassing when I heard this thing in the leaves slither in beside my right shoulder. I looked, froze, nearly shat my pants?keeping my eyes locked on the snake, and with my left hand I reached and found a rock. I threw the rock as hard and fast as I could in the snakes direction and hauled @ss out of the blind leaving bow, pack and everything behind. I finally calmed down enough to go hunt the snake down before retrieving my things so that I didn't get too close. I hate snakes!! I found him curled up next to my pack but kind of moving real slow. Turns out I smashed his head with the rock. I fished him out took a couple of pictures and never ever went back to that blind in August again! Kill them all!!!

GBA
8773snake_arrow.jpg

I hate rattlers! I kill all that I see.

Nice dog runamuk, I saw a ton of small slow moving rodents in the desert out of Atomic City last year, they must have been the voles your talking about.

Bill

Look out Forkie, FTW is watching us!

I got on a horse last night to move cattle from one pasture to another about 8 miles north of previous night encounter same ranch. Rattle snakes, no bull snakes, and lots of them the 4 of us killed 3 snakes, some were on the move and we couldn't get to them.

Something weird is happening with that many, rather than just moving to den up for the winter. You guys really killed some healthy snakes, I'm taking my dogs down this evening to get the rattle snake shots at the vets because I'm going to start shooting doves on Saturday and I would like to use them to retrieve, the hemp is tall this year. Has anybody had any experience with that shot for their dogs? My vet recommends it when I talked to him he said he had 8 snake bites on dogs 2 fatal in the last 2 weeks. Never have had the shot on dogs before.

Lumpy, killed a rattler going to Box Creek a couple of weeks ago. The lower box has always been one infested place. Upper Box no problem and they are only one mile apart.

My phobia with any snake is second to none. Years ago I found a high country lake, above the rattler elevation, and was catching two pound brookies. I looked down at my feet and there were several small water snakes wrapped around my hip boots - - never went back.

Like you've ever caught a two pounder, anything. Where were you last night when I called. You better start checking in when you leave the house.

DC

Cornhusker-I get my airedale vaccinated every year.For $20 a pop,why not?From what I understand,you still need to take them in if they get bit,though.

I am sitting here working on getting the Arizona odds posted and some of my calculation files are so big that they take a few minutes to open. So in the down time I spend the time reading these posts. slickrock, tailchaser and huntinfool - you guys are killing me. I don't know if you meant your posts to be humorous but I found myself laughing my guts out. You guys have made my day!!

There is nothing more vile than a snake. I don't care if it is a 6" water snake or a 15' python. I watch those friggin snake shows on TV and after 10 minutes find that my heart is pounding and my fists are clenched ready to do battle. Fortunately I have only run into a few rattlers in my time. Smashed every one of them!!!

For those interested, the Arizona elk and pronghorn odds are up. I will get the deer and sheep up once the application reports are available.

Jon
www.HuntersTrailhead.com

Lumpy, Checked my calls and unless you are a 888 number from Florida you talk with forked tongue. As for the two pounders, they were all of that, but if a person came at me with a water snake and I had a gun, he'd be missing a leg if they were to close together. I have a real phobia against snakes. I don't hunt or fish where there are snakes unless it's late in the season.

I haven't seen a rattler for 4 years and this summer the first week of august took the kids camping and crawdad fishing. we set our traps at dark and on the way back to check them my 12 year old about steped on one right at the truck in camp.(killed it needless to say.) the next morning we cleaned everything out of the tent and then went swimming for awhile and when we came back I walked by the tent and I could hear one ratttling, ill be damned if the thing wasn't in the tent. I usually dont kill them when out and about but right in camp is kind of different. i couldnt imagine if we hadnt cleaned out the tent and came back and my 4 year old or any of us at that matter had gone in the tent.

Cannonball, You might as well cross Upper Box Creek off your list of fishing holes. Two of the biggest rattlers I have seen were on the south side of the lake. One just as you start up the hill and the other just past the cattle gaurd at the top.

Hmm.. interesting topic. I ran over a rattler this morning at work. Went back to check it out, and it was about 28 inches or so, head got smashed by my tires.

these snakes are a waist of time just kill them and get back to hunting
5589sna1.jpg

9497sna2.jpg

9976sna3.jpg

"Better to dwell in the wilderness, Then with a contentious and angry women Proverbs 21:19)

>I got on a horse last
>night to move cattle from
>one pasture to another about
>8 miles north of previous
>night encounter same ranch.
>Rattle snakes, no bull snakes,
>and lots of them the
>4 of us killed 3
>snakes, some were on the
>move and we couldn't get
>to them.
>
>Something weird is happening with that
>many, rather than just moving
>to den up for the
>winter. You guys really
>killed some healthy snakes,
>I'm taking my dogs down
>this evening to get the
>rattle snake shots at the
>vets because I'm going to
>start shooting doves on Saturday
>and I would like to
>use them to retrieve, the
>hemp is tall this year.
> Has anybody had any
>experience with that shot for
>their dogs? My vet
>recommends it when I talked
>to him he said he
>had 8 snake bites on
>dogs 2 fatal in the
>last 2 weeks. Never
>have had the shot on
>dogs before.

The snake vaccines seen to work pretty good.
My Shorthair was bit by a rattler two years ago on the foot, it swelled up pretty bad and was very painful for her but she went pretty much back to normal after the first 24 hours and was back to hunting within 4 days.
A pretty good chunk rotted away around where she was bit but it healed up good and i can hardly tell where she was bit.

I really wonder what is going on too. I NEVER see rattle snakes and about a month ago my buddy and I were in an area and saw 5. Had us freaking nervous.

And to the person who said "Leave them alone and they will leave you alone." FALSE. DEER leave you alone when you leave them alone. ELK leave you alone when you leave them alone. SNAKES on the other hand bite you as you walk by.

>I use dynamite on them.
>

Gator.. Do you ever see any at that quarry we were dove hunting at yesterday?

I have to tell you I was sure lookin' for them everytime I sat on a different rock. It seems like a perfect place for rattlers.

Well, there ARE more snakes out this year, in just about every area that I have heard of. I have seen/killed more this summer than the past 5 summers put together.

Snakes can survive for months without eating, when food is scarce. Not counting hibernation time,which can be as long as 5 months in some areas, a healty 3' rattler, can go the rest of the year on 3 kangaroo rats.

When there is an abundance or rodents, after a good spring and summer, snakes feed more often and their natural instinct spurs the feeding/hunting "trigger", so that they actually process the food faster and are able to feed/hunt more, which is why we are seeing so many of them.

Rattlesnakes, in particular, also become more irritable.....mostly because they go temporarly blind and are somewhat defenseless during shedding and the more often they eat, the more they shed. During these periods they strike at anything.

The bad news....they will be more productive next spring and there WILL be a population surge.

I studied them specifically in college and collected rattlers for venom research.

I still kill every rattlesnake that is in my path.....and I would NEVER touch one with it's head attached. There are a sufficient number of them, in places I don't play in, they don't belong in the places that I do.

They are fragile and a stick to the head will generally kill them.....but if I have a shotgun, I ain't looking for a stick. I cut their heads off anyway, if it is still there at all, and bury it under a heavy rock, so my dogs wont eat it.

75% of rattlesnake bites are "dry bites", meaning there is no venom injected, while the other 25% are going to cause some SERIOUS problems......and ruin a week of your life.

See a ER doctor immediately and they usually want the snake also, which is dumb, since time is critical and I wouldn't waste it chasing some snake thru the brush.

This goes for your animals also. The "snake bite shot" is based on the percentages noted above and I wouldn't pay a dime for one. There are also reported side effects to it.

DO NOT CUT AND SUCK A SNAKEBITE! Don't do ANYTHING but get to an ER. In many, many cases, more tissue and muscle damage is done to people by well meaning "Rooster Cogburns'", than by the snake.

"you cannot know how little I care"

>Wusses. Snakes aren't going to
>hurt you. Leave them
>alone and they'll leave you
>alone.

Your kinda right dryflyelk... After I kill the rattlesnake I have found they do indeed leave me alone.

Zeke and I found a huge rattler in the middle of a trail in strawberry.. I have hunted there most of my life and never seen one before.. Pine trees and oak brush... Thats not really rattlesnake territory to me?

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Yes Jim we get Mojaves and sidewinders in that place, Have only see 3 mojaves and 1 sidewinder in 12 years of hunting it. They all took a dirt nap.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

NICKMAN,
What are your thoughts on stungun zap if bitten?

Jim

You don't have to be the best,just good
as the best,forget the rest.

After such a long post no one has said hit em with your purse?
Stomp em with your hi heel's, come on guy's let's live up to the MM standard here.

Why kill 'em? How many of you have been bitten by rattle snakes? You know they have those rattles to warn you, right? Even if you did get bit (very unlikely), you're not going to die.

Have you ever seen a rattlesnake attack? I haven't. They don't want a fight. Why not kill all the bears and lions you see, too? They're mean too, right?

When was the last time you heard of someone dying around your neck of the woods form a snake bite? Oh, never?

You're much, much more likely to be killed by a dog, a horse, a bee, or a spider.

Silly ninnies.

I have had them come after me. I was on foot roping a calf to give it a pnuemonia shot when this green came up out of the grass and lunged at me and he was a good 4 ft. away when it happened. We always called that particular kind a "mojave green", they have a greenish hue to them as opposed to brown or black. They seem to be more aggressive then the others. I have never read any scientific studies to support that, only many stories from others with similar experiences.

I suppose you could analyze the situation and claim I was "invading its space" or it was "simply trying to protect its den" or a myriad of other rational but when my kids are with me, I tend to see things from a more protective perspective. Just easier to eleminate the threat. And for as many as I have killed, there seems to be no shortage so you can keep them off the endangered list.

There is a real but little known scientific phenomena regarding snakes and college football teams. The worse a team plays the more snakes are observed in the area. Odd but true.

I have killed my share and let many go just depend's on where they are (close to the house or livestock or away).Dryfly no I have never heard of a death in my area but shoot they made a series about snake bites Venom ER or somthing to that effect pretty grusome show.Wish I could find a photo of one we came across in the mid 80's on a cattle round up, but without photo proof I will not even describe how big it was.
Everyone have a great weekend.
Rick

Forgot to mention about the football trivia.
Does that apply to the pro team's?
Denver must have a huge den under Mile High.
Rick

Dryflyelk;

I can tell from your post you have not been around very many rattlesnakes. No! due to most hospitals have anti-venom you will have a very good chance of not dying. But! have you ever seen what the venom does to the area that is bitten. It is very gruesom and you have a good chance of suffering major muscle lost due to the bite.
As for that rattle warning, hate to tell you that alot of times you will not get a warning until you feel that sting of a bite because you step too close to one, or picked up something that the snake was hiding under.
You are welcome to protect all the rattlesnakes you want, and the rest of us will keep killing the little nasty buggers as we have enough non venous snakes to take care of the mice.

I live in a area that has rattle snakes and have had close calls on three occasions. On two of those occasions I did not get a warning rattle but saw the snake just as it was getting ready to strike. All three, and many others are now good snakes with their heads shot off.

The most likely correlation is the Huskers to the Denver Metro Area. The phenomena is known to extend as far as 500 miles from the source. Odd but true.

Dingo,

It sounds like you're not in a western state. yes, there are aggressive snakes, but not around here.

RELH,

I've been around a lot of snakes. A lot. I've gone on many dedicated snake hunting trips just to find them. I catch them, I check them out, and I'm a snake lover. I've got a whole lot of experience with snakes of all kinds.

One of my best friends got bitten on the hand by a copper head while he was flipping rocks looking for snakes. He was in the hospital for a few days and had some serious pain, but he was fine. He went looking for the snake and deserved to be bit.

I almost stepped on one trail running at night once; that that gave me a heart attack, but it wasn't his fault.

I'll admit, i'd think different if the snakes were in an area kids were playing - I'd probably kill them in that scenario, but I haven't had to, yet. I just find them in their natural habitats.

>The most likely correlation is the
>Huskers to the Denver Metro
>Area. The phenomena is known
>to extend as far as
>500 miles from the source.
>Odd but true.

Funny stuff.

Flogging a dead snake, as it were.

If you in fact encounter a rattlesnake that is coiled and rattling, that is the lesser of 2 evils. You can choose to back away or kill it from a distance.

The bad scenario is the one where you totally surprise the critter and it strikes WITHOUT warning.

90% of those treated for snake bites are people messing with the snake....they asked for it.

The other 10% almost never had the snake coiled and "warning". They were hit in a surprise attack and never heard a sound.

The difference between dangerous mammals and snakes, is largely in the fact that a person can pick and choose where they recreate, and what mammals they choose to recreate with.

A Griz isn't likely to turn up on a family picnic trip to a local park, whereas a rattlesnake can be there and never be seen until it is too late.

If they are ANYWHERE I am, there WILL be a funeral. Coyotes and racoons need food too.

I draw the line with rattlers, Black Widows, Brown Recluse and Velocoraptors. If the extinction of any these creatures, and several others, is proven to destroy the entire Earth's ecosystem 3000 years from now, feel free to blame it ALL on me.

By the way, I would pass on the electric zap idea. Who carries one of them while hunting? If it actually slowed your blood/venom flow at all, you would probably pass out and hit your head on a rock, ultimately killing yourself anyway. Go to the ER....

If you actually get a "dose" of venom from any poisonous creature on this planet, you might not die, but there IS going to be some serious tissue, muscle and skin damage.....you are NOT going to be "alright"........or pretty!

"you cannot know how little I care"

Okay, I'm going to "bite" and look stupid, so just because I bit, please don't kill me for it. I must have missed something somewhere in here. Thought I've been reading everyone. What the crap is a Velociraptor? This has been a fun, funny, serious, and entertaining bunch of responses. I'm with most of the rest of you.
If I'm somewhere, rattlesnakes don't belong there. And I don't care where that somewhere is.

Hey there dryflyelk-

You have been around here a lot longer then I have. When you asked for an incident and I simply contributed one of many that I have had, I thought that is how things worked around here. I have been struck twice. Neither time they buzzed. If you want to play odds, then your probably ok to bet your life on statistics. Just remember that all it takes is one time.

You can play with snakes all you want....I really don't care. I'm glad we live in a country where you have that option. You should haul hay or cut firewood sometime and have your own snake encounter in their "natural habitat". It's a little different then seeing them on one of your snake safari's...I guarentee you'll remember it for the rest of your life. I simply can't alter my life to accomodate them.

I'll do what I do, you do what you want, neither of us will be breaking any laws and we'll get along just fine. If you are implying that I should leave rattlers alone based on how you feel about snakes, then we just hit a fork in the road and you are on your own amigo.

Hope you enjoy your time in the field as much as I do. Each time is a unique experience and we are all better for it.
Great thread!

I heard the SF Giants empty out the reptile exhibit at the San Francisco Museum of Natural Science every time they have a road trip....guess that explains why. Sandbaggers!

>Yes Jim we get Mojaves and
>sidewinders in that place, Have
>only see 3 mojaves and
>1 sidewinder in 12 years
>of hunting it. They all
>took a dirt nap.

I thought it looked rather snakey and I'm glad they decided to sleep in that day because if I had seen one I would have spent all morning looking at the ground and around the rocks instead of watching for dove.

I just don't like rattle snakes. End of story.

Redland Ca 3 years ago, My daughter's friend Dad died due to a Mojave green Bite,He killed the snake and took it to the hospital, The Doc you see on TV about snake bites was the guy who treated(6 vialls) him and sent him home. He died that night from the Bite. They have a sue against the hospital and that doc right now going on, SO yea I have heard of people who don't make it after getting bite.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

I remember a story in the newspaper back in the early 70's. I was living in Turlock CA at the time.

A older retired guy went fishing alone at Don Pedro Reservoir. At the time Don Pedro was pretty new and still filling up. As the water rose, the snakes were forced higher and higher. There were large concentrations of rattlesnakes all along the shore line.

The old guy failed to return home so his wife called the Sheriff that night. The next morning they found him laying dead in the water. An autopsy later revealed 32 rattlesnake bites.

What that poor guy must have gone through.

Eel

LAST EDITED ON Sep-04-11 AT 07:36PM (MST)[p]I don't have much problem with them. Never have killed one and don't see the need to. This one posed real nice for me

rattler2.jpg

Ransom I believe your correlation is exactly correct. The Huskers looked like crap. We still have rattle snakes everywhere shot doves tonight saw another one. Hadn't seen one in 5 years until lately. The dog is staying in the kennel until it gets cold. That's why I haven't been on went to the game. Not a good beginning even thought it was a 40-7 win I think it looks bad for the Big 10 schedule. I just hope we get to .500. I think your Scientific Method is probably better than some Scientist.

Avery300-1.jpg

You girls must be terrified having to look over your shoulder whenever you squat to pee.
Prairie rattler, eastern Colorado.

>Redland Ca 3 years ago, My
>daughter's friend Dad died due
>to a Mojave green Bite,He
>killed the snake and took
>it to the hospital, The
>Doc you see on TV
>about snake bites was the
>guy who treated(6 vialls) him
>and sent him home. He
>died that night from the
>Bite. They have a sue
>against the hospital and that
>doc right now going on,
>SO yea I have heard
>of people who don't make
>it after getting bite.

I know of another fellow that received and unlucky bite from a rattlesnake.. Several years ago this guy was setting irrigation pipes outside of Fresno and he got bit on his wrist and the snake happened to hit an artery and that was the end of the story for him. I agree that deaths from snakes bites are not common but they do in fact happen.

I'm the first to admit they scare the hell out of me when I cannot see them. I was deer hunting in the A zone once and walking back to camp in the dark without a flashlight I had to climb over a locked steel gate and one started buzzing and I could not see him and I got stuck on top of the gate. I fired a shot on the ground where I thought the snake was, my buddy was already back in camp and heard the shot and drove the jeep over to where I was. He thought it was funny as hell me being stuck on top of the gate, but I didn't find my predicament very funny (we did not find the snake). Lesson learned, I carry a flashlight in my pack.

In 1969 I was hunting mule deer near Roy, New Mexico. It was foggy and cold...not a lot of movement. My neighbor and I were working our way down a hill headed back to camp when I saw the log he was about to step over start to move.

Turned out to be the snake in this picture. I shot once, as he coiled. At the second exit hole a cottontail came out.

I'm about 6'1";never did measure the snake. There was a foot or so of him was on the ground.

ImportedPhotos00311.jpg

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

I hate rattlesnakes and think we should kill them all!!
I invested in a pair of rocky snake boots last year to hunt quail in Arizona. Wore them for archery season hunting deer around Kingman Az. Never saw any snakes, but had a little piece of mind since I was by myself and 40 miles from the nearest hospital. I hope I never have to find out if those boots work!!

Dryflyelk-

I was reading back through this thread and when I re-read my post I realized how offensive it may have been to you. I didn't mean it as a personal attack and I am sorry if it seemed that way. The feel that the spirit of MM is that it is a community of people who enjoy the same things and it should be a place to share experiences and personal achievements without having to worry about criticism and be able to ask for advice about anything outdoors and get positive feedback based on other members' experience. My post did not embody that spirit. I hope everyone remains safe while they are enjoying doing what they do and then be able to share that with the rest of us.

Cornhusker... As a general rule you will see more Snakes out in the Fall as the daytime tempratures start to cool off the snakes are more active trying to find food before they den up for the upcoming winter. Dove and Antelope hunters are always at risk of stepping on a Rattler..

95% of the snakes won't rattle unless they are startled, they would rather lay quietly and watch you walk by than give away their location and risk a confrontation.

If you have spent any time out in the field chances are you have walked right by many hidden or partially visible rattlers and don't even know it.

A days worth of Rattlers after visiting a couple Dens in N.M.
7844snakes_in_box.jpg

Hunting is Life...everything else is
Just details.
Ol' Buzztail...

I would like to avoid them as well to keep from killing them but right now they seem especially nasty. I have hardly ever seen rattlesnakes before but the one that hit me, but didn't get me didn't rattle or warn me at all. It looks like you know how to handle them but I's leave that box alone.

>95% of the snakes won't rattle
>unless they are startled, they
>would rather lay quietly and
>watch you walk by than
>give away their location and
>risk a confrontation.
Ol' Buzztail...

Oh, here we go! Walt Disney strikes again.

You are trying to tell me that an animal with a brain, smaller than it's eye, makes a CHOICE as to whether it strikes or just "watches you walk by"...."give away their location and risk confrontation"....Seriously?

Do snakes go to Marine Sniper training school?.

Is this from the same book that says, if you kill a rattlesnake, it's mate will hunt you down for the rest of it's life, for revenge?

They simply react to existing circumstances. You get too close, you get bit, by reaction. You mess with one, you get bit, by agressive reaction....maybe multiple strikes.

"If God did not intend for man to hunt animals, he would have made broccoli more fun to shoot"

RATTLESNAKES

nickman...

Oh, here we go! Walt Disney strikes again.

You are trying to tell me that an animal with a brain, smaller than it's eye, makes a CHOICE as to whether it strikes or just "watches you walk by"...."give away their location and risk confrontation"....Seriously?

Do snakes go to Marine Sniper training school?.

Is this from the same book that says, if you kill a rattlesnake, it's mate will hunt you down for the rest of it's life, for revenge?

They simply react to existing circumstances. You get too close, you get bit, by reaction. You mess with one, you get bit, by agressive reaction....maybe multiple strikes.

"If God did not intend for man to hunt animals, he would have made broccoli more fun to shoot"

Ok I said that the Snake will lay quietly and watch you walk by rather than give away his location (FACT) I did not say anything about striking you when you walk to close... and yes a snake CAN determine the difference between a threat or prey , there is no need to rattle at a mouse or rabbit before striking them to secure a meal.. but to warn a human or other threat (any large mammal) when confronted that hey I will mess you up so leave me alone is the message they are trying to convey by rattling..

I have spotted Rattlers while searching for them, taken pics and observed them only a foot away from for a while and they are fully aware that I know they are there, They never rattle and the only movement they make is the flicking of their tongue as he is trying to smell what he sees. then as soon as you continue on the snake will quickly make retreat because it knows it was seen and when I return to the same spot 10 minutes later the snake is no where to be seen..

I have been studying, hunting and catching Rattlers for 28+ years and have seen and caught alive more Rattlers than you could see in 3 lifetimes if you think you know more about Rattlesnake behavior than I do you are the one in DISNEY LAND! LMFAO!!

Hunting is Life...everything else is
Just details.
Ol' Buzztail...

I don't like snakes either. I know some of them are good, and even eat rats and other snakes, but I've never been good at knowing which are the 'good' ones, and which aren't, and I don't want to get close enough to find out.

Gary Russ
thermalunderwearonline.com

Years ago, I used to kill rattlesnakes on sight. But then, on a buffalo hunt in Zimbabwe back in 1986 we came on a big puff adder (pit viper, like a rattler but with no rattles) and were watching it. I asked my PH if we were gonna kill it and he said "No, I think it's bad karma to kill them unless around camp or threatening us". I thought about that a lot and the next time I saw a rattler I left it alone. About 12-13 years ago, while hunting sage grouse, I nearly stepped on a rattler that could have easily bitten me, but didn't. I called my son over to see it and he said "Aren't you gonna kill it, dad"? I told him that no, I wasn't going to kill that snake as it could have easily bitten me, but chose not to.

Since then, I kill every rattler I see around my house or neighborhood, at the local archery range or around camp where I'm hunting. I leave every other rattler I see anywhere else alone, unless they threaten me, which one never has.

One of my closest friends is in icu today from a rattler bite. It was in another friends garage and he thought he killed it. He picked it up and it some how struck and bit him on the hand. Details are not real clear. He is in no shape to BS at this time. Last night he said that it was the most painfull and scary thing he has ever been through. This is a man who is not afraid of anything and has a very high tolerance for pain. It sounds like a horrible experience.

Saw a four footer at the launch ramp in the middle of the day two days ago. This was in Chico Ca. Sounds like snakes are evereywhere this year.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom