Sniper's Hunt Complete

S

sniper

Well, it's a done deal. I had to cut my hunt short as my services are needed on a family matter in Texas. It was fun while it lasted. My last day to hunt was the 24th. I glassed up 18 Coues does, 4 Coues bucks and 2 Mountain lions. I couldn't get to the lions but I did take this nice representative Coues buck. The weather was really cold. It never made it out of the 30's all day. The landscape photo is where we hunted yesterday. All the deer were on the south slopes staying out of the wind and cold. Maybe I'll get the tag next year and have the whole hunt like I was supposed to have this year. We'll see. I'll be in Texas for the next week but will try to check in on my inlaws computer. Talk to everyone later.

Scott

2002_Scott_Coues_landscape.jpg

2002_Scott_Coues_Ism.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Dec-25-02 AT 09:04AM (MST)[p]Way to go, Scott!

I'll settle for one of those in 36B when I get there manana.

Send me a print when you can. I can still add it. Also, I'm going to use the poem you posted here, Ok?

Everything is packed in the truck and trailer. We head out about 4 a.m. tomorrow and Frank M. will be meeting us there sometime over the next couple days. -TONY

Sniper: Sorrry you have to go to Texas, hope everything works out for the best. Nice buck considering your circumstances. Have a safe trip and try and check up here. Outdoorwriter: I hope you and your son shoot a couple big bucks....... Allen Taylor......

Sniper,
Congrats...Nice looking deer!!! Hope all goes well in Texas.

Bret M.

Looks like you did alright. Nice buck. There's always next year...

Ghost Hunter

Nice Buck Scott,

I hope I can get one of those to cross my path at 20 yards. Say hi to family for us.

Later

Scott-

Nice buck. I hope things workk out for you in Texas. I also hope you Holidays went well. Again, I'm sorry I couldn't be out there to help you, I'm just now getting over this cold.

WE'll try for Jan! best of luck and GREAT JOB!

Scott G.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-26-02 AT 08:28PM (MST)[p]Here's some more details on the hunt. The day was smooth and some very fruitful glassing followed that last storm that pushed through. As I stated earlier I glassed 18 does, 4 bucks and 2 lions. The lions were just up the canyon from where I ended up killing my buck. All the bucks were so far away that I could barely tell they were bucks with the 30's. There were 2 sets of 2 bucks. The closest were the 2, one of which I killed. It took a couple of hours to get to where they were and when I got there I couldn't find the lions but did find the bucks, a 2 point and a 3 point. As you can see from this latest picture here, I took the 3 point. My shooting was something I'd rather not discuss here but the deer was 490 yards across the canyon. Bottom line is I did kill the buck. I may put together a little story later.

Things are going well here in Texas and thank you to everyone for your concern.

By the way I took this photo with that new Leica Digilux I camera my wife got me for Christmas, and as you can see it does take some sweet photos. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in getting a digital camera.
Scott

Scott_Coues_III.jpg

well i got my dad on a buck today. it was just a decent forky but the show was a long ways away not as far as scotts but a tough one. him and his hunting partner flung some lead at about 400 but straight up a hill and there bodies were tiny. i gave him ##### becaus ehe couldnt find it forever and i told him that i would have shot 5 times before he even squeezed one off lol
casey

Sniper,

Congratulations on a successful hunt!

Beautiful hunt picture too.

Nice to see you cleaned off all the blood from the body!:)

Thanks for posting the pics. We really enjoy seeing the happy faces on our friends.

Regards,

Chef

way to go Scott, nice buck, glad to see some one had some good luck, I turned down smaller bucks the whole hunt, and went without, I did glass up a nice buck towards the end of the hunt, with the new sworo,s, but he was about 40,000 miles away I think they were in Texas, maybe you can check em out for me...hehe ..it was a fun great hunt, the snow kind of did me in towards the end, but it was still a primo, great time...congrats again...Dan

I'm finally back from Texas and back to work. I drove 850 miles yesterday and had to come in to work today. I even wore my camo shirt to work. I've still got the fever. I really needed the rest of that whitetail hunt.

Dan I think I saw that nice buck out by Van Horn. He was worth going after. :) The snow can be tough. I had my wool and my gators on and was pretty comfortable. I didn't hunt much while it snowed though. Maybe we'll both draw the hunt again next year.

Casey my rifle is chambered for 300 Win. mag.

I think next week I'm going to grab the bow and head into one of the areas that I wanted to go to in December but didn't have a chance. It's 5 miles in by goat.

It's good to be home.

Scott

scott, how do u like the 300 mag? my dad wants to buy a new rifle and he wants to get either a ultra mag or a mag. between the 300 mag and ultra mag, 7mm mag and ultra mag or stw and the new 270 wsm(he has kinda made his mind up about this one) out of those calibers what would u choose being an experienced coues hunter based on ballistics, recoil and avablility? i think that they are all great guns and think they would all be great. any suggestions from anybody?
casey

Casey, I like the 300 mag just fine. I have been using it for quite a few years. I have been looking at the new short mags. That 300 win mag is really heavy and I'm looking at the shortaction cartridges to keep the weight down. The 7mm Remington SAUM as my interest right now. But that 257 Weatherby Mag. that Allen shoots looks like a nice whitetail rig. The availability of the ammo isn't much of a stickler with me since I like to reload my ammo. Any of the short mags like the 270, 7mm or 300 WSM and the 300 and 7MM SAUM look like what I'm interested in for a new Coues rig. I like the Remington rifles over the Winchester.

Scott

scott, i also reload my own shells and which ones would allow for the lighest cartridge? because if he gets one of those high powered rifles, i dont see what the point would be to shoot a 150 grain bullet out it when it gets 5,000 ft lbs. whats the point? that would totally destroy a coues. i think a best rig would be either the 7mmstw or ultra mag or the 270 wsm shotting 110-130 grain bullets. what u think about those loads? whats ur favorite bullet such as ballastic boat tail soft point etc.?
casey

Hey Casey
I shoot the 7mm STW with a 139 grain horneday and love it, I have kilt deer from 70 to 400 yards, and it didnt tear them up at all, in either case, but like sniper says, its a little heavy for those long packing trips. but I pack it in and pack it out, if I really get tired of carring the STW around I carry a Model 7 rem chambered in the 7mm-08

what is the difference between a stw and say the ultra mag. he has decided to go with the 7mm ultra mag. what would one of those do to a deer at 70-400 yards? how bad would it tear it up?
casey

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom