So, who got drawn in Cali?

Alright, who got me Newberry sheep tag and Goodale tags? Really thought this was going to be my lucky year. Even ordered maps for Newberry and have been studying them.
All 5 of us struck out on everything.

well I guess the odds of my wife and son being alternate # 1 and 2 for central coast elk is a lot worse than having one of the ten tags come available

My party got an x tag with 4 points that should only take one or two, but....point creep on a meh deer tag in a meh state for mule deer is better than nothing.

We saw a hog there 4 years ago. Think he's still alive?

You guys that drew Grizzly, I helped my dad on his bull hunt and have helped a couple other guys. Feel free to get a hold of me if you have any questions. You're in for a cool experience!

Overly surprised that there wasn’t a mm member to draw a sheep tag, and not a ton of people drew any great deer tags, but it does seem as though a lot of members drew elk tags.
I’ve never drawn an elk tag neither has my grandpa what is max points on elk and antelope?

I’ve never drawn an elk tag neither has my grandpa what is max points on elk and antelope?
I believe after this application process it’s at 22 points. If you don’t have max it’s equivalent to have zero points 0-20 ( going into the draw) points would be equivalent to each other on odds of drawing. It’s not like Nevada where with every point your odds increase.

I would NEVER wait that long to hunt in CA. Just me. Just sayin..
Who says you have to wait?
If you don’t get your first choice, hunt one of the many, many other zones where tags are available… ex. A-zone, D-zones, etc..
I’ve been waiting almost 40 years to get the tag. I finally drew this year. But that doesn’t mean I haven’t killed a deer here in California… In fact, quite the contrary.
I guess it takes moving out of state to draw a Goodale tag. Max points and finally drew it.
See ya there

Last edited:
I believe after this application process it’s at 22 points. If you don’t have max it’s equivalent to have zero points 0-20 ( going into the draw) points would be equivalent to each other on odds of drawing. It’s not like Nevada where with every point your odds increase.
Don’t forget, there is the random draw for each and every Hunt here in California. Premium hunts like elk, sheep, and maybe some Pronghorn zones were only a couple of tags are offered often don’t attract as many applicants.Opportunities to increase your draw odds do exist.

Ultimately people have to realize that California is a state of over 40 million people and marginal, at best, wildlife management. The only true way you’ll ever increase your odds is to either lower the population (human) or increase the number of tags available by building up herds through predator control, and habitat enhancement. Until then, the best strategy is just to have patience. At some point in time, if you are diligent in putting in, AND live longer than anybody else with more points, anyone for any hunt could be a max point holder someday… Although that might be when you’re 90 years old!

Don’t forget, there is the random draw for each and every Hunt here in California. Premium hunts like elk, sheep, and maybe some Pronghorn zones were only a couple of tags are offered often don’t attract as many applicants.Opportunities to increase your draw odds do exist.

Ultimately people have to realize that California is a state of over 40 million people and marginal, at best, wildlife management. The only true way you’ll ever increase your odds is to either lower the population (human) or increase the number of tags available by building up herds through predator control, and habitat enhancement. Until then, the best strategy is just to have patience. At some point in time, if you are diligent in putting in, AND live longer than anybody else with more points, anyone for any hunt could be a max point holder someday… Although that might be when you’re 90 years old!
That’s what I’m hoping for to draw my desert sheep tag !

I struck out across the board. Who got lucky?
I’ve got a busy, busy fall ahead!
August: Desert Bighorn, CA (friend’s tag)
September: x-12 (friend’s daughter’s tag)
October: Mountain Goat, AK (MY HUNT)
November: Bull Elk, Nevada (friend’s tag)
December: Goodale Buck, CA (MY HUNT)
Cow Elk, NV (MY HUNT)

Although I did well in the draws… I’m even luckier for having great friends and family that enjoy the same passion is me. We all help each other out on all our hunts. Honestly, it’s sometimes more fun not having the pressure of being the one with the tag in hand!

Congratulations on the g3 tag with all the added moisture should be a great year to get after a big buck!
It’s always a great year to get a good buck in that zone! My brother lives in the area and we’ve been scouting it for a long, long time. Been fortunate to go on other hunts with friends that drew the tag. Going to be really fun breaking out the big optics and looking over a bunch of bucks before deciding on “the one”.

Pray for snow! Makes them easier to see when their way, way up there!

342BC833-854D-4F0F-B2CD-873E91D8B30C.jpeg

BEBD2387-2FEE-411B-8D67-E9DC7CD7FB40.jpeg

B3C0C6B9-D55C-4534-892C-39A1888F2694.jpeg

DDF38B93-034C-4F35-B0D9-E32D048E01C4.jpeg

961E2FD9-0786-4308-967E-328B3D9CAEBF.jpeg

It’s always a great year to get a good buck in that zone! My brother lives in the area and we’ve been scouting it for a long, long time. Been fortunate to go on other hunts with friends that drew the tag. Going to be really fun breaking out the big optics and looking over a bunch of bucks before deciding on “the one”.

Pray for snow! Makes them easier to see when their way, way up there!

View attachment 113117

View attachment 113118

View attachment 113121

View attachment 113122

View attachment 113123
Cool trashy buck ! Good luck! Looking forward to seeing your hunt on here

bradA the 1and 2 alternates for central coast did have max, it just seems even with max that those odds are the worst there is for that to happen mother and son, and still is not a tag. The odds of ending up with 2 tags may be even worse.

Full strike out but 1 off max for elk and goats doesn’t do much good….

The crazy thing is some of these d zones going past 2nd choice. Makes me so thankful for a zone .

My buddy got x9c anybody ever hunt that? Iv spent some time in the inyos and white mountain
Yep. Deer are in certain pockets dispersed over a vast area… hence the lower success rate. Don’t overlook the low country along the Owens river bottom. Saw some nice books well on an archery Tule Elk hunt there several years ago.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom