So, who got drawn in Cali?

Congrats to you boy's who drew some nice tags, good luck on the hunts, we drew our 3rd. choice.. the highly sought after D3-5.
Mike

You know much about X6A? I have never hunted it. Any guidance would be appreciated?

I can tell you the same thing I tell everybody. The two largest bucks I have ever seen were in X6A--and nobody ever killed them! They were both up top, on years when I could not draw the tag. Most of the people will remain up top because it is easy access, but my own best deer have been in the steep terrain overlooking 395. I key on the oak patches. If you are in shape to bring a deer out, then this is where I would scout. If you cannot scout it well, then you really should not expect much. Most people who are unfamiliar with the unit don't have much success, or end up with a forkie. Nothing wrong with that, but it makes little sense to wait five or more years for an X tag and then kill a buck that one might find on a unit such as D that you can hunt every year. I cannot be more specific than this because the deer really don't always hang out in the same canyons, but at least you know where to start!

Thank you Sir! And yes...I do not shy away from the steep terrain. I do plan on getting up that way to scout next month sometime. I really appreciate the advice. I will definitely let you know how it goes!

Are you familiar with x6b as well? Ive found a few high saddles I may start with. i’m 9 hrs by car, so i sadly won’t be scouting it.
very familiar as into knowing locations from chukar hunting.. should be good this year from rain and how hot it is this year… haven’t been out that way this year but will ask around.

very familiar as into knowing locations from chukar hunting.. should be good this year from rain and how hot it is this year… haven’t been out that way this year but will ask around.
im excited to get out there. I typically keep 1 or 2 judo heads in my quiver for quail. I’ve noticed you guys have some chukar there as well. Does it get quite busy opening weekend? it’s only 90 tags after all

The blue grouse season is in during this tag too. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one in my life. Do you guys have them up there?

im excited to get out there. I typically keep 1 or 2 judo heads in my quiver for quail. I’ve noticed you guys have some chukar there as well. Does it get quite busy opening weekend? it’s only 90 tags after all

We do have blue grouse at high elevations. There used to be a few on Black Mountain and Crystal Peak before they burned, but now you will have a hard time finding the high elevation fir and aspen forest they prefer. The chukar are skittish enough that I think you are wasting your time with a bow. In any event, these do not inhabit most of the unit. There are plenty of quail--especially mountain quail. If you want to get away from people, check the hills above and to the south of Constantia. You will find deer, quail and some chukar. You will probably have to hunt blues in another unit.

brada I was hoping to talk to you , I did send a pm couple weeks ago, let me know if we can talk thanks, central coast elk.

brada I was hoping to talk to you , I did send a pm couple weeks ago, let me know if we can talk thanks, central coast elk.
Hey i responded to you message I have been in Alaska for the past few weeks and just having the opportunity to catch up on here.

Alright, who got me Newberry sheep tag and Goodale tags? Really thought this was going to be my lucky year. Even ordered maps for Newberry and have been studying them.
All 5 of us struck out on everything.
I drew newberry sheep. When I went to the orientation i met a guy who drew both the newberry sheep tag and the Goodale Deer tag. Guy needs to play the loto.

Guess you got my tag!!?? wish you luck. Do it justice and keep us posted with a story and pictures.
Opening day success. Great hunt, lots of rams

Screenshot_20231204_165510_Instagram.jpg

IMG_20231203_094420.jpg

20231203_090549.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom