Someone's gotta know something...

BBB

Very Active Member
Alright, sorry there are no pics but I'm sure someone can help put this rumor to bed or at least provide some comical responses.

My dad was at the gas station in Marysvale the other day when two out-of-state elk archers pulled up for ice.

My dad noticed these hunters were excited, and being curious and happy to share in other hunter's success, he asked if they'd had any luck. One of them excitedly show my dad the pictures of their bulls on their camera that were being packed out of the mountains. My dad didn't ask if guides were involved. My dad looked at the pictures and couldn't believe what he was looking at...HUGE BULLS. He asked if they knew what they scored and the response was 420's and 460's. My dad said they definitely looked that big.

My old man shook his head in disbelief at the pictures and responded that he'd never seen any bulls even close to that size and they were nearly as big as the Spider bull, which the hunters excitedly agreed.

These hunters did mention thay hadn't drawn elk tags in their home state for years and were excited when they learned they drew a Utah archery tag.

Okay, so what happened? I'm asking for feedback on what really happened. Like most of you, I don't believe two bulls of that caliber were taken on an archery hunt by two hunting partners in the same unit.

Either:

1)My dad needs to get his ears and eyes checked and they said 320" and 360" and the pictures just showed the bulls off well. I tell him this and he laughs and swears that they talked about them being 400 class bulls for quite some time and how fortunate they are for taking such bulls.

2)These hunters hunted a private "hunting park" and paid top dollar for these elk. Is there still a high fence above Big Rock Candy Mtn? (even though they said they drew a Utah bow tag after years of applying)

3)They really did kill two monster 400 class bulls and have somehow kept it quiet from the MM community?

4)These guys get a kick out of going to gas stations and showing other hunters their photoshop success pics when asked if they've had any luck.

5)If there is a private elk farm (which I know there are several in southern Utah), are there genetically superior bull that break-out and end up in the public elk herds. I know how hard it is to keep a angus bull contained when his cows are two pastures away.

My dad is skeptic as well of their story, but swears by what he saw. He wonders if elk farmers are secretly releasing monster farm-raised bulls on public land....No fences here!!!!

Let's hear it!!!

I'm pretty sure hanginmeat sold his buddies Bull & hauled ass with the money.

2574cummins.jpg

I know of one "huge" bull that was killed on a LE unit near Marysvale, but the picture I saw did not include two huge bulls.

These hunters were from Arizona if that helps at all. Anyways, two bulls that size are hard to hide from the hunting crowd and I hoped someone might know something. If anything, it sure fired my dad up to elk hunt!

Is that high-fence farm still in operation on the Beaver unit? Are there bulls that big in there?

I know of two elk killed that fit that description. They were high fence bulls. 402, and 464 or something close to that.

}}-SLIVER-->

>I know of one "huge" bull
>that was killed on a
>LE unit near Marysvale, but
>the picture I saw did
>not include two huge bulls.

Where's the pic??? Post it up!

I find the story facinating.
While I believe BBB and his dad I'd say I find zero credibility in the story of the other hunters.
I've run into a few guys who did a "ranch" hunted and they always made up stories which were not true.

Just my opinion and I hope their story is true and we hear all about it some time.
Zeke

Sliver,

Tell me more about these bulls you know of. Were those ranch bulls killed anywhere around Marysvale?

I'm going elk hunting with my dad tomorrow and if I don't put this story to rest soon, he'll talk about it the entire weekend!!

Thanks for all the input.

I don't know where the ranch was, but the guide for the ranch was from the Panguitch area. I have held the 460 bull and ranch or no ranch, that is an impressive set of bones.

Ranch bulls for sure.

}}-SLIVER-->

There is a ranch in Nephi call "Star Mountain". My old boss runs the ranch and they harvest some huge bulls over there. I'm talking 400-500 inch bulls.

With a ton of money you can order up just about any set of antlers you can think of.

So, were they returning from there hunt?? Im just wondering if they were where were the heads at, it would be pretty hard to just stash away two sets of antlers that size.

Here is the bull that I know of: <http://utahwildlife.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=44570>.

The antlers were not in the pick-up. They came off the mountain to get ice for their two elk which were still on the mountain, which means they were fairly close. I'm beginning to believe they might have been killed at the RoyalPoint Ranch above Hoovers.

It looks like Travis Roundy manages,owns,or outfits the ranch by their website.

http://royalpointranch.com/info.amp

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom