Something is wrong with the gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's an odd question. During the short life of this thread, what have you hunted and killed?

So, all of you on the "hunting ethics committee", please help me out here. What're the limits on;
1. shot distance
2. number of trail camera's
3. number of friends helping on a hunt
4. where and when can you drive an atv
5. can you ask for hunting advice, if you haven't scouted the area before.
6. is there only one ethical shot placement on an animal?
7. do I have to wear blue jeans to be a good hunter
I'm sure I'm missing a couple of things, but this a good start for me to be a better hunter. Thanks in advance

MOA rifles are made about 20 miles from me and I've seen Bob shoot long range. I would say him missing the first shot at 500 yards is a rare event. but anyone can miss and I'm sure most of these shows do a lot of editing I have to agree with the obnoxious Texican on that one. .

Coyote for me too. I hunt them about twice a week this time of year. Wonder if I shoot them close enough to not be a “ piss poor hunter”???
You have to shoot them in the head while you make their mama watch.........to teach them respect :rolleyes:

Coyote for me too, me and my bestie JP always hunt coyotes together, he’s the best caller, dude knows how to blow that’s for sure

Coyote for me too, me and my bestie JP always hunt coyotes together, he’s the best caller, dude knows how to blow that’s for sure
Really living up to that stalker title. You seriously need to get a life.

It was a compliment, cmon bro, you know your stuff, even the top dog of the mm forum Tri thinks your the cats meow

Impossible!

Actually that brings to mind an untapped market. THE LONG RANGE SHOTGUN. Who needs stupid decoys and calls. Thats for suckered. We'll be skyblasting quackers at 500 yards once I invent BBs with a higher ballistic coefficient and a rangefinder with a speedometer on it.

Impossible!

Actually that brings to mind an untapped market. THE LONG RANGE SHOTGUN. Who needs stupid decoys and calls. Thats for suckered. We'll be skyblasting quackers at 500 yards once I invent BBs with a higher ballistic coefficient and a rangefinder with a speedometer on it.
You mean like in the glory days of waterfowling?

Don't forget to drag 500 yard muzzleloaders into this also.
IMG_9291.JPG

Yeah I hope you’re joking. The 6.5 has a place. You can shoot your 338 Lapua all day long? Nope it kills your shoulder. You can with a 6.5...
I love the 6.5, I just like making fun of the creedmore its the greatest thing since sliced bread....

I love the 6.5, I just like making fun of the creedmore its the greatest thing since sliced bread....
I am old school and use the 6.5x55 Swede haha. Don’t get me wrong the 338 has more knock down power and a slightly higher bc. But for shootability I like the 6.5. I don’t view one call as a end all tell all. Each like a wrench has its place.

I am old school and use the 6.5x55 Swede haha. Don’t get me wrong the 338 has more knock down power and a slightly higher bc. But for shootability I like the 6.5. I don’t view one call as a end all tell all. Each like a wrench has its place.
Just an FYI. There is no such thing as “ knock down power”.
Id rather shoot a smaller caliber rifle I can control, be comfortable with and accurate with over a bigger caliber anyday. I think a lot of people buy guns they think they need and then don’t shoot them enough due to recoil.
Bullet construction and how it reacts when hitting muscle, tissue and bone is more important than how big of a hole it makes IMO.

Of course it did. You didn't pass physics class, did you? mtmuley
Actually it would sound like you didn’t with the statement “ bullets don’t knock down an animal” pretty broad un substantiated comment to make isn’t it?

So here we have video evidence of bullets actually knocking animals into the air. And you don't think they can knock one down???????

Quit regurgitating what stupid gun writers in magazines tell you and go start putting bullets through live critters and you will learn guns definitely can knock stuff up, back, and down.

So here we have video evidence of bullets actually knocking animals into the air. And you don't think they can knock one down???????

Quit regurgitating what stupid gun writers in magazines tell you and go start putting bullets through live critters and you will learn guns definitely can knock stuff up, back, and down.
When it comes to an animal that weighs 1 pound, I’d hope a centerfire rifle of any kind could make them explode and lift off the ground upon impact. That video proves nothing

That video proves there is such thing as knock down power. Period. No caveats.

If you don't think so I offer more evidence to the few people on this sight that are actually hunters.

Anybody out there ever shoot an animal that dropped in his tracks and then the animal got up and ran off and was never found???? Yep. That's knock down power.

Anybody ever seen a charging buffalo get shot square on the nose pad with a 500 grain bullet and seen him plow into the ground like a derailed locomotive? No brain or spine hit. That's knockdown power.

Maybe when you and JP are hunting Idaho together this fall, you guys can make some knockdown videos together

It’s not knock down power. It’s the construction of the bullet and how it transfers that force, shot placement and trauma to tissue/bone caused by the bullet that leads to how the animal reacts and is killed.
Ever shot or seen an animal shot with a FMJ bullet? If shot in the vitals normally they just stand there or run off. Why? Because the bullet construction isn’t meant to destroy tissue as rapidly as other bullets used for hunting.
How about an arrow from a bow? How much knock down power does it have? Hit a deer in the vitals or chest and it runs off bleeding and dies normally within 50-100 yards. Take that same arrow and hit the spine/nervous system. Animal drops immediately. Why?? Was it more “knock down power”? No it’s the shot placement.

Dude I don't care if you want to call it bullet design, or magic when an animal is knocked any direction when a bullet strikes it that is Knock down power. Its force. Its energy leaving one object and transferring itself to another object. Quit trying to rebrand it. Can you get better knock down power from one bullet compared to another? You bet. But both still transfer real measurable energy from bullet to beast. That energy can put an animal flat on his a55 without hitting spine or brain. Thats a fact I have seen more times than I can count.

I’m not rebranding anything. Im calling it was it is. What I’m trying to say is this. A person has say a 300Win mag and I’m standing next to him with my 243 and we both shoot an animal. His animal is hit and runs off and dies. My animal is hit and drops on the spot. Does my 243 have more “knock down power” than his 300Win?

When a moving object runs into a stationary object, a certain amount of energy is transferred. Lots of other factors go into whether or not the stationary object gets knocked down or not. But I think you could loosely call that energy transfer "knock down power".

I’m not rebranding anything. Im calling it was it is. What I’m trying to say is this. A person has say a 300Win mag and I’m standing next to him with my 243 and we both shoot an animal. His animal is hit and runs off and dies. My animal is hit and drops on the spot. Does my 243 have more “knock down power” than his 300Win?
Nope. You are comparing apples to oranges. The .300 win mag has more knock down power than the .243. Knock down power doesn't always overcome poor shot placement.

Just answer this question and be honest. Can you knock an animal down in his tracks without the bullet severing the spine or penetrating the brain?

Lol use knock down power for the laymen to understand and now it’s a debate. The energy transfer matters but it’s not a end all tell all as stated.

Nope. You are comparing apples to oranges. The .300 win mag has more knock down power than the .243. Knock down power doesn't always overcome poor shot placement.
Ok. Same scenario but now both of us have 300 win mag. One shooting Barnes and one Berger and both shots are directly behind the shoulder. His runs off 40-50 yards and falls down dead. Mine drops on the spot. More “knock down power” or different methods of the transfer of that energy?
Just answer this question and be honest. Can you knock an animal down in his tracks without the bullet severing the spine or penetrating the brain?
Of course.
Just answer this question and be honest. Just because one bullet is larger than another does that mean it will knock an animal down better/faster?
To be clear Tri I would hunt with you anytime man!

Last edited:
"More “knock down power” or different methods of the transfer of that energy?"

Two different shots on two different animals plain and simple. No matter how much we try and make variable constant and equal they always remain variables.

"Of course."

So that means "Power" knocked them down.

"Just answer this question and be honest. Just because one bullet is larger than another does that mean it will knock an animal down better/faster?"

No.

"More “knock down power” or different methods of the transfer of that energy?"

Two different shots on two different animals plain and simple. No matter how much we try and make variable constant and equal they always remain variables.

"Of course."

So that means "Power" knocked them down.
Power didn’t knock them down. The transfer of a bullets Energy did.

I havent shot but 400 or so big-game animals in my life. An animal dropping in its tracks is wayyyyyyy different than an animal being physically "moved" backward, or upward.

Of the big-game animals I've shot with everything from .22 magnum rimfires to .338 WM and about everything in between I can recall less than a half dozen that "dropped in their tracks" from shots other than CNS shots.

I've never seen a big-game animal physically moved backward or upward from the energy and impact of a bullet...but like I say, I've only shot about 400 big-game animals, so what would I know?

i did flip a black bear over one time. same 300 i shot that coyote with. came up on a hill side and he was about 60 yards digging at a stump. rifles zeroed at 200 and i hit him a little high in the shoulder. barrel rolled off the stump right when the bullet hit him. is that a knock down?

The only big-game animals I've seen physically moved upward or backward were hit by 2000+ pound vehicles traveling at a velocity of 65-80 miles per hour.

That would in fact be some "knock down" power...just haven't seen a hunting rifle that will launch 2000 pound projectiles at that kind of velocity yet.

You can recall a half dozen that dropped in their tracks that didn't have a hit to the CNS. Thats knock down power at work.

If you want to see an animal "move or thrown" from energy, shoot a Potgut with a .204 and a 32gr V-Max bullet at 4200fps.....it'll definitely move ???

Well!

If You Haven't Seen it or done it You Might need to move up to a NON-PISSCUTTER Caliber!

I Have Picked a Couple Bucks Up & Moved them Backwards!

I Flipped one over on His Back making it Perfect for Gutting!

Had a Friend with me on the Flip Job!

First Words out of His Mouth:Woulda never believed that if I hadn't of just seen it!

A 600 Grain Bullet is the Culprit!

I Almost said 'SLUG'!

SLUG is like saying 'KNOCK-DOWN POWER' around here!

So Call it what you want to!

I Don't GAFF What You Call it!

I Call it Energy!

These PISSCUTTER Calibers that Most of You Are Packing/Shooting way F'N Further than You Should is like a F'N Bee Sting with your Long Range BS!
The only thing you shoot is your mouth...and yourself in the foot. But no arguing you're the best at that....

Take a F'N Hike BuzzH!
Is this where you que up the one picture of the one deer you shot about in half 20 years ago? Or when you whine about not drawing an elk tag? It's the only 2 moves you have...on the edge of my seat waiting for one of the two....again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom