Son's unit 49 muzzy elk

My 10 year old son got the unit 49 muzzleloader elk tag. Either sex. Nov 1-15. We're both pretty excited about the hunt. I've been archery hunting 48 for the last few years but not much experience with 49. With him being young I think we will try to stick within 2 miles of a road or access point. From what I've heard do far it sounds like elk aren't too hard to find but getting close enough for a muzzleloader shot will be tough. He would love to shoot a bull but would probably be just as happy to shoot a bull. My plan is to get yp to a high glassing point and glass. Any recommendations as far as west, north, east, south side of the unit? Or can they be spread all throughout? Will weather/snow effect elk migration much in early November? Near fields down low? Or will bigger bulls be moving back up high?

Thanks a bunch!

Here's a pick of him getting sighted in. He's been handling the 50 cal pretty well. Anything within 75 yards could be in trouble.

20220928_151858.jpg

No experience in 49. But my guess would be high. We have been killing cows at 9-10k in December (Pioneer Zone) the last couple years.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom