South dakota phez hunt 09

B

bigthree

Im ready for my hunt leave 9am sunday morning be gone for a week one of my buddys first time cant wait to see his face and the look of amazement !!!!!! good hunting

We are flying out on Sat Morning, we will be hunting around Carpenter in Clark county, Good Luck to ya.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

LAST EDITED ON Nov-08-09 AT 08:50PM (MST)[p]What did you guys pay for your hunts? Just curious.

4af4f0c6062236d4.jpg

Just got back too, Man it was a blast hunting in good weather and tons of birds. SOUTH DAKOTA is the PHEASANT CAPITOL OF THE WORLD.
The only mark on the whole trip would be the corn still standing and all the water sitting in those fields and sloughes, But did we get up the birds, alot of 40-60 bird flushes, one part of the county the roosters outnumbered the hens 10-1 drive over to another family farm and the hens out numbered the roosters.We saw about 120-150 birds a day over 60% of those was roosters.
We needed more then one dog so next year we will have several dogs. Saw alot of second hatch roosters than had yet to turn color(heads just turning red) enough that you had to be double sure before pulling the trigger
I will send out some pictures and see if one of the MM members will post them.

Too answer the guys question we just trade hunts with other hunters. We hunted with some guys from Louisana that trade a "gator hunt" with my nephews and they shot a couple of big gators(600lbs) and then they(La guys) came up and shot pheasants for 5 days and claim that we need to hold them a spot for next year they had so much fun, Let we tell ya those boys could cook I think I gained weight even with all the walking.

Bigthree how did your hunt go.

Here's few pictures of the hunt we had.
Here you go. I have uploaded the photos. Just copy the addresses below and paste them in the message you want to post.

4b02c1aa078568f6.jpg

4b02c1c7081c16c3.jpg

4b02c1da086a8eaf.jpg

4b02c1ef08b3e1a8.jpg

4b02c20409142906.jpg

4b02c21b096e523d.jpg

4b02c23409d518bd.jpg

4b02c24f0a6b7377.jpg

4b02c2660b3c7085.jpg

4b02c27c0ba2dcf7.jpg

4b02c28f0c040e0a.jpg

4b02c2a80c778a39.jpg

4b02c2bb0cca18f9.jpg

4b02c2d30d422ed7.jpg

4b02c2eb0dbb077c.jpg

4b02c3000e4c965c.jpg

4b02c3150ebbb7b4.jpg

4b02c32a0f32e2a9.jpg

4b02c3420f9eb680.jpg

4b02c3571011d813.jpg

That bird on the ice chest had 23 1/4 inch tailfeathers it would be in the lead of the local contest for longest feather but One of the guys from Louisana wanted to taxi the bird so I gave it to him,I hope the taxi was able to remove feather win contest and then put in back in, if so my nephew will be sporting a new shotgun Thanks to his Uncle LOL .

The dead WT heads was ones found in the fields during the spring planting they was probaly shot and lost last season I feel those guys pain those are some nice WT.

The huge deal of pheasants on the garage floor was the first day take by a couple of small groups. The picture with one guy and the picture with 2 guys.

The next group of birds was the second day with only a small group of guys.

The last pictures is what we did the last day between 10 a:m to 1:30 we had to catch the plane but still limited out.

Hope a few more of you guys make it back next year we had a blast,
If anyone wants to still go this year let me know and I will set it up for ya, the next few weeks are going to be great with most of the corn and beans combined.

We had a blast there was 5 of us ended up with full limit !!!! more birds there then last year. Had 1 friend that had never seen so many birds in a lifetime So.DAKOTA is #1

looks like great hunt. i grew up in clark county lots of birds. havent been hunting there in many years going this year around turkey day. have access to many acres everbody say come go hunting with us.just hasn't worked out this year hopefully. carpenter area is good to.have fun watch out for chaney. he hunts around doland.

There is more birds in the south part of the county this year from what all the locals farmers say. Talked to my brothers last night and they still haven't been able to combine any corn they say everyone is still waiting for the fields to dry out and the moisture content to drop in the corn kennels,Hope by turkey day it will be done and you will have some outstanding hunting. You shouldn't have much problems in finding places to hunt, lot of farms around there didn't get hunted due to the corn still standing and the mudholes(lots of water) in them. Good Luck and take some pictures to post up.

I just heard the corn is coming out of the fields really fast now and WOW the amount of birds they are seeing is unreal.

They said every little piece of cover close to the corn is holding pheasants now, one of the sloughes we had walked and jumped out 30-35 birds(twice) now is holding over a hundred birds with more moving in daily.

My niece she got a really nice 5x5 Wt buck and her 1st doe she has a couple of doe tags left.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom