southwest desert spike otc

beaston

Hi everyone,
I have decided to go after a spike elk in the Southwest Desert unit over the counter. The unit is massive, and I have been out scouting a few times already with no luck. I am hunting in the archery season, and I am looking for a memorable hunt. Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks!

If you haven't already done so, open the Hunt Planner (https://dwrapps.utah.gov/huntboundary/hbstart) and read the hunt descriptions, including Biologist Notes, for all of the elk hunts on this unit. Read the Management Plan (https://wildlife.utah.gov/elk-plans.html) for this unit. If you scrounge around the internet you can find elk distribution maps for Utah and other states. I don't know this unit, but I imagine that you can narrow things down based water and habitat. Elk need to drink gallons of water at least once a day.

If you haven't already done so, open the Hunt Planner (https://dwrapps.utah.gov/huntboundary/hbstart) and read the hunt descriptions, including Biologist Notes, for all of the elk hunts on this unit. Read the Management Plan (https://wildlife.utah.gov/elk-plans.html) for this unit. If you scrounge around the internet you can find elk distribution maps for Utah and other states. I don't know this unit, but I imagine that you can narrow things down based water and habitat. Elk need to drink gallons of water at least once a day.
Thanks!

The spikes are not too far from cows. They normally trail a herd until chased off by the herd bull. Find cows and you’ll find a spike or two until peak rut.

Nevada/Utah border where highway 318 from cedar city crosses the border. Hunt north of the 318 in the indian peak range. Was hunting on the border line in 2020 on the nevada side for elk and there was a ton of elk crossing back and forth. Filled my tag on the second day

The best thing about hunting that unit with a spike tag is that there are some genetics and have been multiple bulls that have a long spike on one side and branched antler on the other.

Nevada/Utah border where highway 318 from cedar city crosses the border. Hunt north of the 318 in the indian peak range. Was hunting on the border line in 2020 on the nevada side for elk and there was a ton of elk crossing back and forth. Filled my tag on the second day
They don't seem to cross as much as they used to. Most of them stay on the Nevada side now, I'm sure it's because there is much less pressure. If you go to Burbank there are some lush alfalfa fields just a few hundred yards west of the border and those fields get loaded with elk. That north end south of Burbank on the Utah side has nothing left to draw those elk over. Between the winter sheep grazing and the wild horses there is no feed.

They don't seem to cross as much as they used to. Most of them stay on the Nevada side now, I'm sure it's because there is much less pressure. If you go to Burbank there are some lush alfalfa fields just a few hundred yards west of the border and those fields get loaded with elk. That north end south of Burbank on the Utah side has nothing left to draw those elk over. Between the winter sheep grazing and the wild horses there is no feed.
Interesting thanks for the input so do you recommend I find water as well and just sit on it?

Yea, it was the first time or 2 but after awhile it gets old. Damn horses come in and blow everything out. Sitting water during archery is a good tactic for spikes
Same thing here in Wyoming with the horses. I'm so done with feral horses on public land.

when i went out i did see quite a bit do you know if they are doing anything to stop them?
That's a giant can of worms itself. The BLM is tasked with managing their populations to established AML's (appropriate management levels), most outdoorsman and ranchers hate them and want them gone. But they have a lot of support from animal rights activists, and are federally protected.
With almost no natural predators, and the BLM only removing a them occasionally via round-ups the problem is getting worse and worse. They do SERIOUS damage to the range.

Yea, I ran across some dead horses a couple spots in the unit. Talked to some people and asked them how they thought they may have died and the answer I got was.... " Maybe lead poisoning" ?

Interesting thanks for the input so do you recommend I find water as well and just sit on it?
There is a water tank with a windmill just north of the last foothills when my son had a muzzy pronghorn tag a few years ago. We constructed a blind and sat on it one evening. The only thing that came in was well over 70 head of horses.

Horses would line up in their little bands of around 5-15 head, each stud with his mares. They were lined up for probably 3/4 of a mile and they kept a good distance from each other. Each band would take their turn at the water. A couple times one band would try to come in before the other had finished and the two studs would fight a bit.

I’ve never seen anything like it before, the way they lined up and took their turns. Those Stallions are mean and keep everything else away from the water. One black Stallion discovered us and he was pissed. He stayed around for about twenty minutes stomping and snorting while circling the blind from a distance.
Several times in the past I’ve had studs blow stalks for me while bow hunting.

The best advice I can give you is to take two spares a 12volt air compressor and plenty of tire plugs if you are going to be there for any amount of time. Stay off freshly graded roads. I’ve had more flats there than I’ve had in 35 years of driving anywhere else combined and I drive all over the country for work plus over 1.5 million miles behind the wheel of a semi. Two separate times while pulling a trailer I’ve had three flats/blowouts. Multiple times I’ve gotten two on a single trip and probably half a dozen instances with one flat. All good tires and aired down appropriately for those roads.

I’d shoot every feral horse I came across out there if it were legal. I used to work with a guy who was a part time U.S. Marshall. He would do security in a federal courthouse occasionally. He told me that once he was doing security for a court case in which a guy shot wild horses (I don’t know if it was one or several horses). He said a guy would be better off going to trial for murdering someone than he would for shooting “wild” horses. They are federally protected and throw the book at a person.

The horses and sheep have eaten everything out there and they need to be eliminated. Growing up in the 80’s in St. George there were several ranchers in the area who would turn loose good studs and later on they would go round up the young ones and keep them.

Gocha thanks for the help! And that’s crazy how the horses went in I’ve seen cows do something similar before but nothing else crazy

I’d shoot every feral horse I came across out there if it were legal. I used to work with a guy who was a part time U.S. Marshall. He would do security in a federal courthouse occasionally. He told me that once he was doing security for a court case in which a guy shot wild horses (I don’t know if it was one or several horses). He said a guy would be better off going to trial for murdering someone than he would for shooting “wild” horses. They are federally protected and throw the book at a person.

The horses and sheep have eaten everything out there and they need to be eliminated. Growing up in the 80’s in St. George there were several ranchers in the area who would turn loose good studs and later on they would go round up the young ones and keep them.
Better of if he murdered someone! That’s crazy I didn’t really have an idea that they where out there until I went I know sheep can cause a problem but I never expected a horse too how long do you think until they get rid of them?

Better of if he murdered someone! That’s crazy I didn’t really have an idea that they where out there until I went I know sheep can cause a problem but I never expected a horse too how long do you think until they get rid of them?
They will never get rid of them. Too many bleeding heart activists will prevent that from happening. PETA and all the other "non-profits" need something to campaign against so they can keep that money rolling in. Those special interest groups and there lawsuits prevent the feds from doing anything even if they wanted to.

The feds do capture some horses and put them in the adoption program. I believe there have been sterilization attempts in different areas but I don't know if it's been tried on the Southwest desert or if it even works very well.

Back in the 80's if you saw a handful or a dozen horses it was pretty cool just to see them but these days if you spend the day driving around out there you can see 100 or more. They have really over run the area.

They will never get rid of them. Too many bleeding heart activists will prevent that from happening. PETA and all the other "non-profits" need something to campaign against so they can keep that money rolling in. Those special interest groups and there lawsuits prevent the feds from doing anything even if they wanted to.

The feds do capture some horses and put them in the adoption program. I believe there have been sterilization attempts in different areas but I don't know if it's been tried on the Southwest desert or if it even works very well.

Back in the 80's if you saw a handful or a dozen horses it was pretty cool just to see them but these days if you spend the day driving around out there you can see 100 or more. They have really over run the area.
Dang that’s to bad

Alright, well, I'm here for an update. My dad, my brother, and I went out yesterday and today and are planning to leave sometime tomorrow. I'm pretty excited to say that you all were right, and luckily enough, I brought 2 spare tires. We popped 2 tires, and then on our way to get our tires fixed, one of our spares also popped, so we were stranded for a little bit. But overall, we are good. We took the four-wheeler up with us as well and have just been using that to get around. I'm surprised by how much water there is. I mean, it’s to the point where I'm not even sure if sitting on water is the right call because there's just so much water. Tonight, we are going to do some scouting, so I'll give y'all an update on that tomorrow sometime. But yeah, it's been an adventure!

image.jpg

IMG_6947.jpeg

IMG_6943.jpeg

Hey there, everyone! Time for an update on the scouting trip! Sadly, I didn't spot anything this time, but my dad managed to catch a glimpse of a decent 5x5 bull. It was quite the sight, but as luck would have it, it darted off when we rounded the corner with the truck. Those elk sure don't like noise!Speaking of which, my dad also spotted a cow, and though I saw something moving too, I couldn't quite make out what it was. But you know what really surprised me? The lack of deer! I mean, seriously, I was expecting to see at least 20, but nope, just three does. Can you guys believe that? I’m curious what you guys think about the deer population there am I missing something?
Anyway, the habitat looked perfect to me, so maybe I'm just not the best at spotting them. But it's all good, because the whole experience was a crazy adventure! I realized I totally underestimated these animals and that I need to put in more work to find them. But that's what hunting is all about, right? The battle with yourself to improve and become the best hunter we can be.
I'm so grateful that my dad took me along on this amazing experience. I can't wait to get back out there this hunting season and give it my all! Thanks a bunch for all your help, everyone. I really appreciate it. And hey, if you ever need an extra pair of eyes or some help packing out meat, count me in! I'd be more than happy to return the favor. Thanks again, and happy hunting to you all! :)
Total of animals
1 cow
1 bull
3 doe
40+ cows
15 horses
3 coyotes
1 fox
20 rabbits

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom