speed goats

C

clinton5

When would you rather hunt antelope in WY opening week in mid Sept or later in he hunt?? Area I'm looking at has limited quota units 63 or 74 with under 500 tags for the area. thanks guys

Pick your poison. If you go early you generally have warm to hot weather, and lots of hunters. Later on you have less hunters but risk rain and snow which limits your mobility.

Ideally for me is to go a few days before season opens, scout out a buck you want and get on him at first light opening day. In other words, get it done and get out of there.

It'a all a personal choice though.

Eel

would you rather have sloppy seconds?

how long is the season? if it is open long enough they seem to be rutting hard that last few days of september -first few days of october and the crowds will be gone and tagged out. we went in a unit a couple years ago that had a september 15 opener and we went october 1 and seen 1 other guy hunting . we had the entire unit to ourselves and the rutting antelope were more curious than spooky.

I like the first week of October. The rut is in full swing and I love watching those buggers fight. Plus the bucks are wandering more and really looking for some tail.

It's always an adventure!!!

My dirty little secret- look at the opening date. Is it during the week or on a weekend? If during the week, say tuesday, almost all of the resident hunters will be at work waiting for the weekend. Now if opening day is a Saturday....zoo. And that is my tip of the day.

We hunted 74 this year. We showed up 10 days after the opener and had the whole place to ourselves. In 3 days I saw maybe 3 other goat hunters. Should have killed a monster but blew it, still had a fun hunt with my father and son. Used to hunt 29 on the opener and it was crazy, almost unsafe. Will take sloppy seconds on a goat hunt anytime.

Flatlander dirty little secret is one I use as well
But I must say after the rut in October is when I enjoy it the most
Less hunters,Antelope bucks are all groped up for you to field judge easier,and its not so hot

I hunted 63 last year. I think the season opened on a Monday or Tuesday and we hunted Wednesday and Thursday. We missed the opener and the first weekend. We still saw several other hunters, but it wasn't bad. I will say that we drove through much of the unit early on Thursday morning just to get our bearings (we lost most of Wednesday due to vehicle problems) and every herd we saw from the road was either forever away or running, so they clearly had gotten pressured on opening day.

I hunted a different unit that weekend for does (Saturday opener) and there were LOTS of people around. The only way I would do that again is to take the advice of go early, scout and try to be on the one you want at daylight the first day.

I hope that helps.

We hunted last year the second week of the gun season with archery gear. Rut was on nicely and we had a blast. Looking to do it again in 2012.

I'd go 63 over 74. 74 lost almost a quarter of their goats to winter kill last year. The G&F is talking about cutting tags back this coming year. If its another hard spring/late winter, expect a significant cut...

1st week of oct. is great. as said no hunters and rutting bucks. we saw 4 bucks mount does in 2 days. Not running around crazy either because there worried about the rut

>I'd go 63 over 74.
>74 lost almost a quarter
>of their goats to winter
>kill last year. The
>G&F is talking about cutting
>tags back this coming year.
> If its another hard
>spring/late winter, expect a significant
>cut...

Have you hunter 63 lately? Not what it used to be at all. Not worth the point or points IMHO.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom