Spending my deer points

greatbasin

I'm looking for a unit where I could have a real chance at a 170 class mulie...is that possible with 6 points? A muzzleloader or centerfire hunt is my preference in that order. Any ideas are much appreciated, thanks.

I would try the snake river unit, alot of big buck possiabiltys. sorry about the spelling. you might try the ochocos too.

Im new to this site. I live in Northeast Oregon, and to be honest there is not a deer hunt around here worth spending 6 points on. Our deer numbers are very low, and the number of mature bucks is not good at all. If you did not have 6 points I would say put in for Ochoco,Fossil,Murderscreek,and Columbia Basin and try to get on some private land.

Deer numbers continue to fall as our cougar population explodes... Look at the Juniper unit Muzzy tag... That will be your best bet but with only 6 points you will not likely draw it... 170 Mule deer in Oregon are few and far between. They are most likely scattered through most of the units but they are not a regular thing in any of the areas... Grant and Union counties are great but the numbers are way down....

Good luck..

Thanks for the ideas...I know the outlook is kinda bleak. I'm about 5-6 years out of the Juniper Muzz. hunt and still 2-3 years out for Trout Creek. Then Steens hunt looks to be 1-2 years away. After that what's left? Is there anything worth 6 points that I have a chance a this year?

At least now I know I'll never draw Hart Mtn. Muzz.
The fact that Oregon allows people to apply for hunts that have no non-resident tags available is not right. My .02

Take a look at Lookout Mountain. I have hunted Trout creek and Steens, and am told its not worth waiting 8-10 years for. Deer hunting in Eastern Oregon is on the decline, but if you hunt hard, and hunt smart, the big ones are still out there. We got 2 big bucks in 2008. Check out our site,

Bob Staples
Blue Mountain Adventures

Bob, great looking bucks. That guy from WA got a true brute. Congrats. I have heard that Lookout can be good but that it's mostly private...true?

Back
Top Bottom