Spring or Fall Turkey

505Hunter

Well it has been 5 days since my deer hunt and I am already eager to go out again. I am looking for locations for spring or fall turkey. Since November is here, thought about maybe going somewhere close. By close I mean within maybe a 2 hour driving distance considering I have school and work, it would be a weekend trip (that is the reason for my short distance.) I am thinking of trying unit 14, the manzano mountains, since that is pretty close to me in ABQ.

Has anyone hunted this unit for turkey before, and if so, how was your experience? From the proclamation, unit 14 is bow only (sandia ranger districts)? No issue for me, just clarifying.

If the raves aren't good for unit 14 then I will result to my good ole trusty Mt. Taylor. But I am always apt for new places!

Another spot I was thinking of is the Jemez mountains, which I think is unit 6A? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Has anyone hunted the Jemez for turkey before, and if so, how was your experience?

Hey 505...Good luck on the Fall turkey hunt. Jemez does have turkeys and we have found that they tend to be up high in the fall. Get as high as you can without being in the snow. They like to follow the snow line down as bugs also move down with the snow line. I am sure you know but you can harvest either sex turkey in the fall so no need to look for a beard. Unfortunately Unit 14 is only open for Spring hunting and is closed to Fall Turkey hunting. 6A is open for both fall and Spring. Good luck and post some pictures when you get one.

WeHuntNM,

I know unit 14 is spring only, I was just seeing if anyone has had experience in 14 because I am unsure whether or not I want to go in fall or the spring.

As far as the Jemez, I have never been there, nor have I been to the manzano moutains (unit 14.)
They are not too far from me so I am sure I could get a trip up to scout. That being said, do you have any recommendations on where I should focus on? No honey holes, just general knowledge and info. I will do the boot work, just need a starting point haha.

I don't have a fall turkey license but I have a deer tag for Unit 6A/C. Seen about 20-30 turkeys north of Porter landing on forest road 376. I think any where on FS 376 you can find them because of the creek running parallel to the road. This also create a lot of road hunting by hunters just waiting for the turkeys to cross the road. Good luck if you decide to go out for some turkey action.

Awesome, thanks shanqwa16. I think I might head up there if I can get off sometime in November. If not, spring shouldn't be too bad. Hopefully the road hunters wouldn't be that desperate for turkeys.. I mean, c'mon! Either way, getting out would still make for a fun trip regardless.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom