SST & GMX for elk and moose?

DonVathome

Very Active Member
I am looking at using 300 win mag, 180 grain hornady SST and/or gmx for elk and possible moose (alaska yukon moose).

Good enough? Reading labels SST looks like it is built for rapid expansion - not good for big game. GMX seems built to stay together - good for big game.

I shot the SST and this is the 1st gun I have owned they shoot great in, I was surprised I would like the extra speed if possible.

Thanks,

Don

I do not have experience with GMX. I do have experience with SST and there is no way I would use them on any ungulate in north America.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-24-16 AT 04:35PM (MST)[p]I'm sure I'll draw out the haters... Berger. Shooting 180 gr hybrids out of a .28 cal, we have taken elk, deer, and the biggest animal, a buffalo. Every elk and deer shot (from 120 yards out to 995 yards) has folded in their tracks. The buffalo (bull) was 640 yards and went about 10 steps before falling over his front shoulder was exploded. The SST is not something I have a lot of experience with, but like the Berger they are built for rapid expansion. I personally prefer to leave all the energy my bullets pack inside the animal rather than carry it "out" of the animal and into the dirt or trees. High BC and speed equate into accuracy and energy. Energy kills. I would go with the SST if it shoots well out of your gun, not the GMX. That is if you don't want to try a Berger... that's my 2 cents. Oh did I mention there is a big sticker on the Berger Hybrid box that says "not suitable for hunting". Good luck with your load development.

SST works great for my camp. My goal is to transfer as much energy as possible inside the animal not the mountain behind him. 4 deer and a 5 pt bull have fallen victim to .284 SST 139 gr bullets this year in my family.

All in North America to boot. ?

Energy transfer inside the animal is as stupid as knock down power. Leave the Sst's home. Load an Accubond or Partition and kill big stuff. mtmuley

LAST EDITED ON Nov-24-16 AT 06:03PM (MST)[p] I use 140 Gr SST's in my 264. I have had good luck with them, 3 cow elk and 4 mule deer last year. I have the 180's loaded in my 300WSM. in MY 300 WIN, I use 200 grain accubonds.

>Energy transfer inside the animal is
>as stupid as knock down
>power. Leave the Sst's home.
>Load an Accubond or Partition
>and kill big stuff. mtmuley
>

^^^^..this..^^^^

"You didn't get those round lips from eating square
meals."

I've killed my last dozen elk or so with gmx's in 45-70. When I run out, I'm switchin. My shots are under a hundred at broadside animals at no more than a walk. I've lost none, but they will come apart, which I don't like. I like 2 holes for the blood to pour out onto the ground for easier, shorter tracking. JMO

I use 180 grain sst in my 30-06 for cow elk and they kill elk quickly. They pass through most of the time also. I used 165 grain sst out of my 30-06 to kill my Mule Deer buck this year it died quickly. The bullet did come apart so I had two exit wounds the lungs were sprayed out over a 30 yard grusom blood trail.
All killed in North America.;)

This year I have been using the 178 grain Hornady ELD-X bullet in my Sako 85 .300 Winchester Magnum. With this bullet, I have the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. I made a one shot kill at 300 yards on a muley buck this year. He dropped in his tracks. I sold my supply of 180 grain Accubonds after developing a load with the 178 Eld-X. All I can say is it shoots real well in my rifle when pushed by 72 grains of H 4831SC.

just sayin...mh

Thanks guys I like the idea of putting all energy in small to medium size game. I like the idea of my bullet holding together and being sure to go as deep as possible for bigger game (bull elk and up).

Moose are huge and lots of big solid bones.

Robb always nice to see you continually stalking me and keeping files on me (literally per your own words). Got to stay on your meds Robb, you know you get crazy when you fall off the wagon (also your own words).

Still want some comments on the GMX, still not sold on copper bullets but as the years pass I am looking at them more and more.

My son just shot an elk on the wasatch late last week with the sst. (7mm 162 grain)

I will never shoot them at an animal again. The bull was shot at 240 yds and the bullet hit the shoulder blade. The shot placement was actually quite good but a tick high. We did not even get an exit wound. The bull died quickly enough but if we had needed to trail it we would have had zero blood. The bullet pretty much exploded and ruined most of a front quarter and fragmented enough to raise hell with the tenderloins and one back strap.

They are accurate though.

For large north American game there is nothing any better the Nosler Partition . for 65 years the competitions goal has been come as close to the partition as possible .

Stay Thirsty My Friends

>LAST EDITED ON Nov-24-16
>AT 04:35?PM (MST)

>. The
>buffalo (bull) was 640 yards
>and went about 10 steps
>before falling over his front
>shoulder was exploded.
>

Sounds tasty!

Justin

>
>
>
>For large north American game there
>is nothing any better the
>Nosler Partition .
> for 65 years the
>competitions goal has been
> come as close to
>the partition as possible .
>
>
>Stay Thirsty My Friends

I agree with that. Unfortunately for us "progressive hunters" in California we shun the use of lead. The last 5 animals I've killed have been one shot kills with GMX. Not moose or elk though.

I lost a mature bull elk a couple years ago using SSTs in my 7mm Rem. mag. and it was a high shoulder hit, which did not break any bone. It looked like the bullet must have exploded on contact or glanced off the bone. I'll never use that bullet again and have found much better results with the Accubonds.

Proud member of the Wolfpack!

I've shot two elk, two antelope and a mule deer with GMX. Poor performance at best. I use accubonds for everything now.

I have used both of these bullet choices in Africa (on a lot of different plains game). I was not impressed at all. The SST's are horrible and fragmented.

I used the GMX on one or two occasions and cannot remember a lot about them but from what I do remember, they were not good either.

I have used GMX on elk, moose and deer.
I was able to recover two of the bullets under the skin on the far side from the moose. They could have been used for an advertisement. Perfect expansion after going through both shoulders.
The factory loaded Hornady ammunition happens to shoot under an inch in my rifle.
It's the only bullet I shoot now.

It's always interesting to hear other folks' experience.

Don,

Perhaps you could benefit from reading through a similar thread I started a couple years ago. Good luck.

http://www.monstermuleys.info/cgi-b..._thread&om=22130&forum=DCForumID5&archive=yes

Mark
muledeer.jpg

My hunting spot is so secret, not even the elk have found it yet.

>Energy transfer inside the animal is
>as stupid as knock down
>power. Leave the Sst's home.
>Load an Accubond or Partition
>and kill big stuff. mtmuley
>

Agreed.

I Might Eat a Little Lead with My POWER-POINTS!

Beats the HELL out of Wounded Deer Track Soup!

When Them Copper Bullets Perform Perfectly I Do Believe they can do a Good Job!

When They Don't Expand as they're suppose to they Are Worthless!

[font color="blue"]She put a Big F.U. in My Future,Ya She's got a
way with Words[/font]

He never went Rob geez he got his butt handed to him down here in G5 when he couldn't kill a goat. There is no way he is going solo in Alaska

They are both good bullets. The GMX is designed to stay together no matter what, so it's a good choice for high velocity, hitting bones, big animals, and close to moderate ranges. With the solid copper construction they are not going to expand as well at lower velocities (long range). The SSTs are much softer and won't hold together very well at really high velocity, or if you hit big bones. They are a good choice for elk and moose at longer ranges or lower velocity. So I guess you need to decide at what range are you likely to take your shot? If its most likely going to be close or moderate range the GMX, Accubond, Partition, or other controlled-expansion bullet would be the right choice. If it's going to be 200 yards +, and possibly out beyond 500, you don't want a really stiff bullet. SSTs would be a good choice in that situation. Partitions are great but don't have a very high BC, so they're not awesome for really long range. Accubonds have a tapered jacket that helps prevent over-expansion at closer ranges yet they're still soft enough to open up at longer range. Nosler Ballistic Tips are another good option that would expand reliably from close range out to 600 yards or more in your .300. My shots on elk are usually between 200-600 yards so I'd pick a 200 Accubond, 212 ELD-X, 208 AMAX, or 215 Berger Hybrid. The heavier bullets won't have the close-range problems when using soft bullets and they'll still expand nicely at longer range.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom