Stack it

SS!

Long Time Member
Salmon stacking time. King fishing was hot last week. I landed 30 kings in an hour. Very fun 5 days of fishing. With 30 reds and 5 kings in the freezer the 50 lbs of kings from last week were can bound:

Cleaned and chopped up. 6 hour dry brine:

B51220A7-64F2-4AB5-8889-9B8653078736.jpeg

In the smoker, alder chips:
8C0448B9-38A3-4304-A3DD-D9F146D246E5.jpeg

A slice of jalapeño for each can:

3CD0FE3F-14B8-4ED7-9F18-3A06F53C14ED.jpeg

First batch all smoked up (cold smoke):

6C95A1F5-808C-4D09-8877-FCCF985EEF0A.jpeg

Loaded up:
69BC1096-5CAC-4C65-9FA3-73E51DD429EC.jpeg

All done:

E3AB00C3-C39C-40C6-BC5E-3FA4903ED138.jpeg

Total cost per can 1.89. Fly out king trip provided by a vendor.

Batch two in the canner..

Good on ya SS! I hate that I can’t stand the taste of salmon……. I feel cheated cuz every chunk represents a good time on the water. It’s a pleasure I can’t bring myself to enjoy. How long do those cans keep it safe to eat……. for you, not the dogs.?

Maybe you should try Blanks new recipe…. Walleye-Fetticuine Alfredo with Salmon.

Good on ya SS! I hate that I can’t stand the taste of salmon……. I feel cheated cuz every chunk represents a good time on the water. It’s a pleasure I can’t bring myself to enjoy. How long do those cans keep it safe to eat……. for you, not the dogs.?

Maybe you should try Blanks new recipe…. Walleye-Fetticuine Alfredo with Salmon.
I see no reason why they wouldn’t be good 10 years down the line? I’m going to let these ones sit a year.

You can’t eat even smoked salmon? Damn that’s rough!!!

I see no reason why they wouldn’t be good 10 years down the line? I’m going to let these ones sit a year.

You can’t eat even smoked salmon? Damn that’s rough!!!
It kinda is rough. It’s a great source of food, for a lot of folks.

I caught a bunch some years ago, West of Vancouver BC, had a king/chinook and a couple of silvers/cohos smoked and seasoned. The rest were sockeyes that I froze to eat. The smoked and seasoned were better by far, than the sockeye. I ate most of the smoked by crumbling up and spreading it on green salad. I gave the sockeye to my neighbors.

Now I want to catch a couple halibut, like Blank, I love the white fleshed sea fish but not the red flesh m, including trout.

Question on canning your salmon. Do you leave the back vertebra In the canned salmonproducts. I remember hating those nasty little suckers when Momma used to make salmon patties ever now and again…… sixty five years ago.

Semantics, and spacing my boy. I'm not a fan of trout, and only eat salmon if fresh the day I catch it.

White fish, not the same as whitefish. Tho Lake Whitefish form Lake Michigan is pretty awesome too.

Take a small King (6-8 pounds) and fillet it out then cut long narrow strips about 1/4" thick. Put a little black pepper on them. Hang those in the smoke house and cold smoke for a couple days until they get dry (depending on the weather). King salmon jerky.

There's always a little meat left on the backbone after filleting. Don't be afraid to hang those in the smokehouse too. Good to nibble on. Nothing goes to waste on a King.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom