Stand selection question

hossblur

Long Time Member
Not a experienced coyote hunter, usually just a shoot on sight coyote hunter.

But, my youngest really wants to get more serious, so old dad is trying to learn.

What do you guys look for in a good stand?

I try not to get skylined, try to stay in shadows, obviously wind plays a part. In snow I try to sit near used trails that are visible.

What do you guys do

I try to hunker down somewhere where bears and stuff can sneak right up on me, like just under a rimrock. Works every time :oops:

It really depends on the country but a few things that are key everywhere to me-

Set up with wind in you're favor.
Set up in a place you can see them try to circle downwind
Wear good camo and sit in front of cover, not behind it. You want unobstructed shooting when it's time.

There’s a lot to it. Really the most important aspect and the longest one to learn.

One most over look is the approach. I try to stay completely out of site of my stand I’m calling for as much of the approach as I possibly can. Those coyotes, if they’re out there may bust you before you’re even sitting down. Walk-in the low spots , stay off the ridges

Give your self a chance to see them approach. Stay away from really tall cover, get your call where they have to expose themselves. I also try to give them an approach that they will want to come in. A coyote, whether you see it happen or not will almost always look for a high point to get a look. It’s just in their nature. If there some rises or high points out there I try to be set up 100-150 yards from them. Let’s them pop up, gives you a chance to see them on the way in and get in position

Wind, you actually don’t want “ perfect” wind. This is a tough one to learn as well to what limit you can push it. But I’ll tell you this, if you set up straight down wind you’ll almost never see that coyote you call in because he’ll be behind you and gone. I’ve had coyotes shock me by coming in hard from the up wind side but it’s nothing to plan on.

they live and hide in places you think nothing is in. Some of my very best sets I hunt are in barren open stuff other guys pass up because they’re looking for the big hills with deep cover. They’re in both of course but I think a lot of guys over look really productive areas because it doesn’t look “good” hunt them long enough snd your opinion of what looks good will definitively change.

Lastly ,for me , it’s sounds. The reality is any sound will call them . Some obviously better than others. What I key in on is frantic and ramping up the intensity through the set. And start quite. If you think it’s too quiet it’s probably louder then it needs to be. Ive called coyotes in under 20 seconds. That means I set that call in top of one. Full blast and that things gone. You can always get louder later in the stand

Another thing I try to do in regards to stand selection. I try to hunt from south to north and east to west if possible. I want the sun behind me and in their eyes when they are looking for that call. And if the sun is out it lights them up pretty good giving you a chance to see them further out

JPickett gave you some good tips. I agree stand selection is very important and takes time to learn.

My stand selection includes the following priorities.

#1 Wind - won't even bother calling a stand if I believe the coyote can smell me before I have a chance to shoot them. Sometimes the wind is straight in my face but often it is a crosswind. If it is only a light occasional breeze, I'll sometimes even set up with the wind at my back if I think I can shoot a coyote before it smells me.

#2 I have to be able to approach the stand in a way coyotes have a low chance of seeing, smelling or hearing me or I won't even bother.

#3 Location I'm calling has to be a place coyotes feel safe and want to come into. For example, most coyotes are not going to want to come across an open field to a spot that is 50 yards from a road. I'm sure you have places you have seen/heard coyotes multiple times in the past. Those would be good places to start.

#4 Having a rock/bush/tree behind me to break up my outline. One some stand locations, I'll sit up straight, other stand locations I'll be laying down.

#5 Sun at my back when possible.

#6 Prefer to have an elevated location that allows me to more easily spot coyotes. Sometimes I find the best location 1/4, 1/2 or 3/4 of the way down the hill. Occasionally I'll select a stand location in the bottom of a small valley. I prefer to be able to see as much area that a coyote could approach from so I have a better chance to shoot him before he smells me.

#7 Pick the right time of day for a specific stand location. For example, some of my most productive stand locations are generally only good at 1st light because they are areas that have high human activity (recreational shooting, hikers, mountain bikers, ATV/dirt bikes, construction/farming/commercial workers).

I need to work on approach. Haven't been giving that near enough attention.

I do appreciate it. You know how as the dad your just supposed to know stuff.

Brian’s last point is a very good one. Coyotes have “zones” hunting zones (often at night) transition zones and their bedding or day zones. Learning where these are in your areas will up your numbers big time.

Typically they are moving away from any sort of road or ag ground from morning to afternoon then they may work back towards evening

Another really good trick is once you see them commit, they’re coming, shut the call off. It makes them check up and look for where the sound went. It’s a timing thing but that’s usually your shot. It’s why I don’t use a decoy. If they know exactly where they sound is they are going to charge. I want them head up and looking, not I mock coyote speed running.

Another really good trick is once you see them commit, they’re coming, shut the call off. It makes them check up and look for where the sound went. It’s a timing thing but that’s usually your shot. It’s why I don’t use a decoy. If they know exactly where they sound is they are going to charge. I want them head up and looking, not I mock coyote speed running.
Agreed. If they hold up after that, I like to use a lip squeak to coax them in closer instead of calling more.

This is great advice. Without hijacking Hoss's Thread too much, I will say that I was going to create a similiar one. I have found that I am not good at killing coyotes!

I took my son and the son of my friend (who passed away years back). Both, asked me to take them and they probably think I know what I am doing ha ha.

We set up which I had thought were great spots. The first setup was in a field that my friend owns. It never gets hunted. We went in quiet and started calling. We hear coyotes respond but they would not commit.

The second set was similiar but on public, which does see some pressure. They tried my electronic call with a locator (female coyote call) and had a few responses. Shortly after, we heard someone else shoot 5 times. Who knows if they were shooting at the coyote we were were trying to call??

I was interested in Pickets advice about turning up the call too loud. Mine, which is a FoxPro seems to be too quiet. It looks as if I am wrong and need to turn it down!

its really stand dependent with volume. but as a general rule i see most guys calling too loud. remember it needs to sound realistic. for example if the sound of a screaming rabbit is echoing off the canyon walls and he sounds like he's 10 feet tall its probably not going to trick a coyote.

i start every stand with vole squeaks for about 5 minutes. how loud i play them depends on how they sound, what around might be absorbing the sound and so on. but i start pretty quite. i cant tell you how many coyotes i've killed to vole squeaks in the first 5 minutes but i can tell you i've seen them come in from over 400 yards to them if not farther

then sometimes you have to get loud. had a set a few weeks ago where the wind came up and was howling. i ended up a pretty high volume blasting woodpecker to the point where i thought it was pretty ridiculous. 17 minutes in a dog came in hard from my right. he probably came from a long way off too.

its also really hard to play sounds quite if you haven't had a ton of success calling. a few dry stands and you start to think "this will never work" i call a bunch of dogs and i still get my self doubts and discouragement in dry runs.

apply hunting techniques to coyotes, just as you do your big game and it will work. guys dont give them their due. they are a smart critter and my favorite thing to hunt.

i can remember telling someone i was going coyote hunting and they went "huh, that must be easy" well, no. you can go out there do everything wrong, play a screaming rabbit and luck out calling one in. just like the guy driving down the road that happens to get a buck. if you want to be a consistent killer it's a discipline. i don't like just going out to listen to the call. i want dogs running in.

Not a experienced coyote hunter, usually just a shoot on sight coyote hunter.

But, my youngest really wants to get more serious, so old dad is trying to learn.

What do you guys look for in a good stand?

I try not to get skylined, try to stay in shadows, obviously wind plays a part. In snow I try to sit near used trails that are visible.

What do you guys do
I didn't read all the threads so forgive me if somebody already mentioned this. If you call one in and shoot whether you get it or not keep calling. I've killed several doubles over the years and the old gent that taught me how to call killed 4 in one setting. He actually should of got 5 but he missed one! We just used mouth calls. Circe seemed to work the best mostly cause it had a little more volume.

WARNING -- It gets in your blood and so much so that for several years in the late 70's I took all my vacation time to hunt coyotes.
Of course prices were sky high at the time so that was a big consideration!

Have fun!!

So. Here's today.

Started at first light. First stand was a bust, but crunchy snow isn't helping.

Second . Bust.

Third, got busted. Too close to aspens, dog circles us and busts us before we could spin.

4th. Bust. But only kinda.

Moved 40 miles.

1st stand, 13yr old misses.

Catch 4 dogs in 3 other places we are going to try.

Great day, all day in the hills. Fun learning, and fun learning something together

Appreciate you guys advice

Also, like my other thread this is the hardest time to call them. It will get way better closer we get to March. October is the best month in my opinion. I actually only deer hunted two days this year in October and called the rest. Did pretty good

Not to derail. Missed a yote this am with my deer rifle… which was a Hail Mary shot. They were howling and yipping so I hit the call and tipped a few times for maybe 20 minutes. Bad exposer on a hill and took the shot. Still fun

.204 .233 or .22-250? Looking for a new plinker for yotes and kids.

Thanks for the tips ! Reed call guy myself.

Last edited:
Out of those two of personally go with a 22-250. But that’s personal preference, nothing wrong with a 204. Seen lots of coyotes fall to one and suppressed they sound great

Still though, I’m in love with my 22 creedmoor. It’s so fun

Out of those two of personally go with a 22-250. But that’s personal preference, nothing wrong with a 204. Seen lots of coyotes fall to one and suppressed they sound great

Still though, I’m in love with my 22 creedmoor. It’s so fun
Reloading that cartridge? The other on the table and over kill is the 25-06

I have a .17 hmr and taken many coyote with it so the .204 seemed less desirable. But I love watching the impact which is why a .204 was up there.

More questions- bolt or semi auto?

Not to derail. Missed a yote this am with my deer rifle… which was a Hail Mary shot. They were howling and yipping so I hit the call and tipped a few times for maybe 20 minutes. Bad exposer on a hill and took the shot. Still fun

.204 or .22-250? Looking for a new plinker for yotes and kids.

Thanks for the tips ! Reed call guy myself.
Like JP said 22-250 was my weapon of choice. Had 4 different ones over the years , usually in a bull barrel. One Ruger, 2 Remington's, and still have a Sako. A 220 swift would be a good consideration depending on how much you were gonna shoot it.

Like JP said 22-250 was my weapon of choice. Had 4 different ones over the years , usually in a bull barrel. One Ruger, 2 Remington's, and still have a Sako. A 220 swift would be a good consideration depending on how much you were gonna shoot it.
.220 swift I would do undoubtedly, rather niche though.
Shot a lot of bench rest with that round haha.
Trying to go factory ammo lol
Basically it’s been a decade since I hunt yotes. This thread got me to pick up a hand call and the results make me want to get at it again.

If you’re not reloading then 204 or 22-250 for sure. Lots of options there. The 22 creed is a blast to reload for though if your looking for another addiction to add

I used to waste a lot of time driving around looking for the perfect stand (elevation , wind, line of sight, cover, hiding the truck, etc.). Started calling the thickest sagebrush I could find and my numbers went up.

Pack a small stool to get you up off the ground.

Use an ATV or side by side when possible (less visible, get into tighter areas, etc).

Also started waiting a few minutes before I started calling once on stand to just look around and let things settle down.

If you have an electronic caller, mix in some magpie and/or crow sounds. I think a lot of people over call.

Stay 10-15 minutes after you're done calling.

Anyone shoot those savage model 12’s?
I have a model 12 in 22-250. It shoots 1/2” groups with a load I worked up. Bought it for $200 on a Black Friday about 8 or 10 years ago. I have 5 Savage rifles. The big thing I would caution you about savage rifles is the action for feeding and ejecting brass isn’t always as smooth as other brands. Getting an accurate rifle for your dollar and a gun that you don’t feel bad about using and beating up are the big advantages of buying a savage.

Even though it is a great gun, I don’t use it often as my 223’s or shotgun for coyotes. I haven’t meet a coyote that I can’t kill stone cold dead with my 40 gr 223 loads at reasonable calling ranges. Most of my rifle shots are 100 yards or less and I rarely shoot coyotes at more than 200 yards. Some months I’ll kill more with my shotgun than rifle.

If I was regularly hunting places I would be shooting coyotes at 200+ yards I would prefer a 22-250, 22 creedmoor, 243 win or a 6mm Creedmoor. If there is any significant wind, the little 40 gr 223 bullets are a significant handicap for longer shots.

Last edited:
I have a model 12 in 22-250. It shoots 1/2” groups with a load I worked up. Great gun. Bought it for $200 on a Black Friday about 8 or 10 years ago.

Even though it is a great gun, I don’t use it often as my 223’s or shotgun for coyotes. I haven’t meet a coyote that I can’t kill stone cold dead with my 40 gr 223 loads at reasonable calling ranges. Most of my rifle shots are 100 yards or less and I rarely shoot coyotes at more than 200 yards. Some months I’ll kill more with my shotgun than rifle.

If I was regularly hunting places I would be shooting coyotes at 200+ yards I would prefer a 22-250, 22 creedmoor, 243 win or a 6mm Creedmoor. If there is any significant wind, the little 40 gr 223 bullets are a significant handicap for longer shots.
A majority of my coyote kills are with a shot gun :) I wana play sniper but not of deer or elk so
I’m looking at a bvss in 22-250 or the .243 in vanguard flavor. Trying to decide if I want a walk around/ off hand shootable gun or purely a heavier sit and shoot/bench gun.

If you want to shoot longer ranges, get a fast twist 22 cal or 243 cal that can shoot high BC bullets. Even if it is only a 10 mph breeze, it is so much easier for me to make precise shots with my 6mm creed at 400 yards than a 223.

the new stevens 334 looks good for a budget gun for 243. The vanguard has a 25-06 that I’m considering for a little more ommfff. Still the iv always wanted a 600 yard gun and those savage model 12’s seem to do it for not a ton of coin.

Anyway more on topic. I use reed calls and find that I first call by laying on the ground and calling into the ground dang near. Then into my jacket and then into my hand, and last before I leave my spot I call uncovered into the open and make some howls or yips. I cant believe the yotes iv got to come in with my terrible tips and howls.

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom