Start of the Christmas Steak

tailchasers

Long Time Member
Couple parts here that I hope you enjoy. For the holidays I start the Christmas main course around Thanksgiving. This year I was cleaning out the freezer and found this gem. A 20# Strip roast from last year. Cut off 2 steaks last nite the Mrs and I had for supper to gage the flavor and struck gold. So today began the prep. Our boys let me know they want a 2 inch cut and their brides want a 1 inch cut so I trimmed that sucker accordingly. After trimming I coated the roast with a mixture of basil, marjoram, thyme, rosemary, and sage. Wrapped it in cheese cloth then soaked the cloth with Woodford Reserve Bourbon. Yup, drunk beef. Will place on the fridge to dry age until New Years when the kids all come home for Christmas. I account for 1/5th loose dues to dry aging but SOB this will be an ultra prime and flavorful steak. Wish it was ready to eat now.

20211119_114620.jpg

Couple parts here that I hope you enjoy. For the holidays I start the Christmas main course around Thanksgiving. This year I was cleaning out the freezer and found this gem. A 20# Strip roast from last year. Cut off 2 steaks last nite the Mrs and I had for supper to gage the flavor and struck gold. So today began the prep. Our boys let me know they want a 2 inch cut and their brides want a 1 inch cut so I trimmed that sucker accordingly. After trimming I coated the roast with a mixture of basil, marjoram, thyme, rosemary, and sage. Wrapped it in cheese cloth then soaked the cloth with Woodford Reserve Bourbon. Yup, drunk beef. Will place on the fridge to dry age until New Years when the kids all come home for Christmas. I account for 1/5th loose dues to dry aging but SOB this will be an ultra prime and flavorful steak. Wish it was ready to eat now.

View attachment 59537
Interesting way to do the roast how do you cook it once it has aged properly

Trim the dry age off then I'll cut into steaks. My boys asked for a 2 inch cuts and the ladies get 1 inch cuts. The other method is trim the dry age off and cook like a prime rib roast hole. Only season with garlic, kosher salt, and black pepper. Cooked on a hotter than heII grill. If the weather's nice I might do in a fire. No such thing as "to hot" when cooking a steak.

Blank got me curious so I pulled the covers off the meat and like I expected. Hard bark and soft in the middle. The aroma is intoxicating.

Gets carved next Saturday.

20211224_175844.jpg

20211224_175831.jpg

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom