States different draw methods

UtahMountainMan

Hey guys - As I have been researching out of state hunts I thought it would be helpful to start a thread that outlines the way that different states do their draws. That way I can kind of figure out if I have a chance at a 2nd choice tag in a certain state or not.

For instance, in New Mexico they assign you a random # as a hunter. When they draw your number they try to fill your 1st choice 1st, and then your 2nd, and then your 3rd, etc. They dont move on to the next hunter just because your 1st choice didnt fill, they try to fill your 2nd and 3rd choice and then go to the next hunter.

In other states I have heard that they assign you a random # and try to fill your first choice only. If they cannot, then rather than trying to fill your 2nd choice, the draw MOVES ON to the next random # in order and tries to fill their tag and so on.

Does that sound right?

I think that is how Utah does their draw, right?

Anyway, I would love to hear some of the draw experts quickly outline the draw method for Utah, Colorado, NM, Wyoming, Nevada.

"You sure you know how to skin grizz,
pilgrim?"

LAST EDITED ON Jul-19-12 AT 03:59PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-19-12 AT 03:53?PM (MST)

UTAH- For limited entry and once in a lifetime permits all first choice applicants will be considered before any second choices are considered. Very few permits go to second choice applicants. For someone to draw their second choice more tags need to be available than their are first choice applicants.
Fifty percent of permits go to the applicants with the most bonus points, the other fifty percent are selected through a random drawing.

NEVADA ... most will agree that this state should be Your #1 choice for a "Must Apply" for a N.R. applicant/hunter.A true bonus point draw system,where even a 1st year applicant can draw the Best Of The Best tags.Of course the more B.P. a applicant has the better chance ,as Nv "Squares" the accured bonus points ... 1-5 choices are looked at during the draw,and 1st available tag is the tag awarded.Apply,Apply is always the word in Nv for ALL serious N.R. Hunters,in 2013.The general draw is always do around mid April,Good Luck ... Bruce & SilverGrand

LAST EDITED ON Jul-24-12 AT 01:05PM (MST)[p]I've tried to capture what I think the relevant bits of information are in assessing how good a chance one has in drawing a tag. This should hopefully clear it up a bit (or make it clear as mud!)...

Utah: Bonus/Preference. 50% of tags go to applicants with the most bonus points. 50% go to a random draw for all applicants where your name is entered an additional time for each bonus point you have. Everyone?s first choice is awarded before anyone?s second. If only one tag is available, it goes into the random drawing.

New Mexico: No Bonus/Preference. If your name is drawn, your first choice will be looked at. If this is full, your second choice will be considered before the next applicant's first choice, on and on for all three choices. In other words, all of your choices matter. Do not put a 4th or 5th choice.

Arizona: Bonus/Preference. 20% of tags go to the applicants with the most bonus points (resident and non-resident). The remaining 80% are available in a random draw where each bonus point gets you another name in the hat. Non-residents can only take 10% of the total quota (max point pool and regular pool). Non-residents can only draw in a unit with more than one sheep tag, and are limited to 50% of the quota or two tags, whichever is less. Your first two choices on an application matter (if you are drawn and your first choice is full, your second is considered before the next applicant's first choice).

Oregon: Preference (Deer, elk, antelope). 75% of tags go to the applicants with the most preference points. 25% of the tags go to the remainder of the applicants without preference to points. If there are less than 4 tags, they will go to the applicants with the most points (no random draw). There is no preference point system for sheep tags. A maximum of 3% of antelope tags and 5% of elk and deer tags will go to non-residents. No less than 5% and no more than 10% of sheep and goat tags go to non-residents (roughly 5-10 sheep tags per year to non-residents).

Idaho: No Bonus/Preference. Everyone?s first choice is considered before anyone?s second. A maximum of 10% of tags go to non-residents. In units with less than 10 tags, one may go to a non-resident. You can only apply for elk, deer, and antelope or sheep, goat, and moose.

Colorado: Preference point. Colorado is a true preference point state. Applicants with the most points are given a tag. If there is a ?tie? in preference points and there are more applicants than tags, the applicants with the most points go into a random draw. Everyone?s first choice is considered before anyone?s second is considered. For sheep, moose, and goat it's a little more convoluted. You need three preference points before you are even considered for a license. Once you have three preference points, a weighted bonus point system takes over (I'm not exactly sure how it works). Residents are limited to 35% of the total elk and deer tags and 10% of the total sheep, moose, and goat tags.

California: Preference. 90% of tags for deer hunts go to the applicant with the most points, 10% go to a random drawing with no preference. For zones with less than 10 tags, one tag may be issued in the random drawing. 75% of the elk, sheep, and antelope tags are awarded to applicants with the most points, the remainder go into the random draw. For units with less than 4 tags, one tag will be issued in the random draw (whether the unit has one, two, or three tags available). No non-resident quota exists. Your first choice on the draw is the only one that matters.

Nevada: Bonus. Nevada squares bonus points for every species you apply for. If you have 9 bonus points and then apply, your name will go into the hat 82 times. No preference is given to pointholders beyond that. All five hunt choices are considered before moving on to the next applicant. Nevada has separate tag numbers for non-residents and residents and, therefore, they are in a different pool.

Washington: Bonus. Like Nevada, Washington squares bonus points for every species you apply for. No preference is given to pointholders beyond that. All four hunt choices are considered before moving on to the next applicant. No non-resident quota exists.

Wyoming: Preference. 75% of all tags go to the applicants with the most points, the remaining 25% go into a random draw. For units with less than four tags, there is no random draw. Everyone?s first choice is considered before anyone?s second. In addition, there is a special license for elk and deer and a regular license, where 40% of the license pool is reserved for the special license (more expensive) and 60% for the regular license. The same 75/25% split applies to both the regular and special pool. Lastly, roughly 15% of all elk tags and 20% of all other species? tags go to non-residents. To see how this works, if a unit has 100 tags, 15 of them would go to non-residents. Of that 15, 6 would be reserved for the special pool, and 9 would be for the regular pool. Of those 6 tags in the special pool, 4.5 (not sure if it's 4 or 5), go to individuals with the most points, and the remaining licenses (1 or 2) go into the random draw for the special pool. Same thing for the 9 in the regular license pool ? 6.75 go to those individuals with the most points (6 or 7 tags), and 2 or 3 tags go into a random draw. In this example, you can see how even with 100 total tags in a unit, you may only be eligible to draw 2 or 3 of them.

Montana: Bonus points for sheep, moose, and goat and for the special deer and elk units. Preference points for the general deer and elk. To draw a special deer or elk unit (limited entry), you need a general tag. These are awarded on a preference point system, with 75% of general tags going to applicants with the most preference points and the remainder in a random draw. Once a general tag is draw, special units are decided under a bonus point system where your bonus point for that species is squared. You may draw a general tag without a special tag, but not vice versa. Everyone?s first choice is considered before anyone?s second. Sheep, moose, and goat also operate off a bonus point squared system. Non-residents are essentially limited to 10% of the total quota.

Also, I may have some of the particulars wrong...if I do feel free to correct me!

bigeasy, good summary. A couple of corrections to your Colorado description. I assume that is merely a typo where you stated that "Residents are limited to 35% of the total elk and deer tags". I assume you were thinking of Non-Residents.

Actually Residents can receive 100% of the deer and elk tags in a particular limited draw unit. And in some cases they do, or at least come very close. Since the deer and elk draws are set up as a true preference draw, if there are enough residents in the applicant pool who hold more preference points than the NR's who applied, then the Residents get ALL the tags. NR's are not guaranteed any tags in the deer and elk draws. The percentage of tags which NR can draw in each unit is capped at a ceiling.....20% for high-demand hunts, and 35% for non-high-demand hunts.

Regarding the Sheep/Goat/Moose draws, a common misunderstanding is that it requires 3 Preference Points to be considered for the draw. However that is not correct. This is only the case if the number of applicants holding more than 3 PP's exceeds the number of tags available in the draw. If the number of applicants holding 3 PP's is less than the number of tags available, the tags are awarded by preference. It actually happens although it is fairly rare.

Thanks stick!! That was a typo. And a lot of states (most in fact) are like Colorado in that they have a maximum number of tags a non-resident can draw, but not a minimum quota. Thanks for clarifying the sheep/goat/moose draw too!

Good synopsis. I'll muddy the waters a little in Wyoming then Idaho.

WYO: IF the resident quota is undersubscribed (1st, 2nd, 3rd choices), the remaining tags will then be allocated to Non-residents if there are more Non-res apps than tags originally allocated to non-res's. This scenario does happen quite a bit, I believe as a revenue maker rather than selling these tags in the leftover lists where residents could buy them as a 2nd license. This scenario works for deer and pronghorn as the res and non-res elk draws are held months apart.

For Moose, they actually draw max point holders first choice then second choice before moving to the next tier of points. They then draw first choice then second choice for that group of point holders and move on down the list. I've seen lots of guys burn 14 or 15 points on a less than primo bull tag or even a cow tag as a 2nd choice that they could have drawn with much fewer points. Sheep is written such that they only look at your first choice before moving to the next tier of points and their first choice. - Crazy!

My only comment for Idaho is that you can only apply for 1 of the once in a lifetime species, not all 3. If you apply for sheep - that's it. You can't apply for moose, goat, or elk, deer, pronghorn until the 2nd draw is available. Same for moose and goat. You can only apply for 1 OIL species. If you apply for elk or deer or pronghorn, you can't apply for a OIL. OIL draw happens first so you have to decide between a OIL or elk, deer, pronghorn.

Pretty easy to see how we're confusing our younger generation of hunters to forego this awesome heritage we call hunting...

In AZ they issue a random number to your application and another random number for each bonus point. The lowest # you get is the one used for the draw. They do check your first 2 hunt choices and then move on to the next app. After everyones 1st and 2nd have been checked they redraw and start checking 3,4,&5 choices. azgfd.gov has all the info available and also explain the 20% bonus point pass rate and how that is handled.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom