Steens Question??????????

tagsoup

Have been thinking about hunting the steens for a few years now, but have been a a little worried about how few of deer that I have been hearing have been coming out of there. Anyway my question is how hard does it get hunted during the archery season? Are there a ton of people in there? Or does it get hunted hard on the weekends and not to bad during the week?

Any information would be great.

Thanks,
Soup

I'm never there during archery seaso so I can't help you there. but you're right to be concerned about the deer numbers because they're low, almost extinct compared to 30 years ago.

I drew a rifle tag this year and scouted the opening weekend of archery. I was surprised by the number of people there for archery deer, but remember it was the opener. There were more road hunters and atv riders than I would ever imagine. I saw a few nice one's hanging, but it was a very low percentage of camps.

We were unsuccessful on our rifle hunt and saw very few deer. I put over 60 miles on my boots over 5 days and never got off a shot. Once I figured out where the deer were, it snowed and changed everything. Pay attention to the general direction of tracks after the first weekend, most are headed in teh same direction.

I hunted it last year and was not impressed, however I did see a couple of 150 bucks on the last day of the rifle hunt. These bucks were all away from roads.

492dd5496bcb765a.jpg

somthing was there this year.....

Manny,

Did you see many deer? Is seeing some 140 to 150 bucks, something that is possible?

Thanks,
Soup

That is my good buddy's buck. he is laying in the sands of mexico for the next couple of months so ill chime in a little from what he told me.

People on quads EVERYWHERE! he said that the hardest thing was finding an area that didnt have people. once he finally did find an area that looked good he stumbled on this buck. I dont believe that he saw hardly any deer,,,,except probably the biggest on the mountain.

Travis
www.RidgelineOutdoors.com

Back
Top Bottom