STOP CHASING THEM!

arch3614elk

I was out glasing some elk & deer yesterday and actually saw two A-holes pushing the deer higher up the canyon. Don't be so damm greedy that you need to start looking for sheds this early. All they did was move in to deeper snow, the elk just grouped up and went to the ridge top and watched them push the deer around. Why stress them so early...

+1
If we are lucky enough to be in states that don't regulate the shed hunting season yet, we have to chose to self regulate or we will become like Wyoming with it being illegal to pick up sheds before a certain date. If we could all agree to leave the deer alone until like March 15th or so it would definitely benefit the deer.
Plus, you wouldn't have to hit the same area 2-3 times because all the antlers would be on the ground the first time you went through.
But, it'll never happen because of greed and stupidity. Every western state will probably have a shed season eventually.

I hear ya.

I have been seeing guys chasing deer all over the front here in Utah. We are having a really bad winter and these deer are suffering pretty bad. I hate to see guys out there doing that especially this early.

What about the late season cow elk tags and hunters out till jan 31? or you and your home in the real winter range? stop pointing your fingers. March 15? there is no way your waiting that long.and I really doubt THEY WAS CHASING THEM. Just cause the deer and elk move off don't mean they are being chased. who are you the horn know it all?

Let me see, they weren't carry a rifle or a bow, just backpacks, some trekking poles and hiking on the same trail the deer and elk were on, busting them out of cover. They were in a area where hunting has been closed since mid December. So yeah I do know Double J. I am smart enough to not bother wintering elk, deer and moose. Stupid A$$!

>What about the late season cow
>elk tags and hunters out
>till jan 31? or you
>and your home in the
>real winter range? stop pointing
>your fingers. March 15? there
>is no way your waiting
>that long.and I really doubt
>THEY WAS CHASING THEM. Just
>cause the deer and elk
>move off don't mean they
>are being chased. who are
>you the horn know it
>all?

After watching people for over an hour, you can kind of figure out what's going on. The guy I have been watching has no rifle or weapon. He sneaks up on the deer and then jumps out at them and chases them down. Once they run about 200 yards away he starts his stalk again and then spooks them and chases them down again. He repeats this several times thinking that the jolting motions the bucks make while running and jumping will make the antlers fall off. Little does he know or care that the extra energy wasted is sending these deer to their death.

I'm pretty sure he's not a late season hunter, hiker, or wildlife watcher.

Maybe you can explain to me what this guy is doing.

Well in that case the guy is a prick. I've be out myself and found 8 horns. I don't feel I have chased the deer. they will move to other canyons but a day later they was back no big deal. I don't hit my honey holes till later but when the snow melts you better believe I'm hitting the easy spots. As for the late season tags what I was getting at is the state sure don't care for the well being of the wildlife do they. AND PLEASE DON'T BE A COMPUTER TOUGH GUY AND LIP YOU'ER MOUTH TO ME!

>Well in that case the guy
>is a prick. I've be
>out myself and found 8
>horns. I don't feel I
>have chased the deer. they
>will move to other canyons
>but a day later they
>was back no big deal.
>I don't hit my honey
>holes till later but when
>the snow melts you better
>believe I'm hitting the easy
>spots. As for the late
>season tags what I was
>getting at is the state
>sure don't care for the
>well being of the wildlife
>do they. AND PLEASE DON'T
>BE A COMPUTER TOUGH
>GUY AND LIP YOU'ER MOUTH
>TO ME!

Exactly what the other guy said. If you have already found eight sheds by Jan 30th your pushing the animals. Self justication because the dwr has a late season elk hunt does not excuse ignorance. It's pure greed and it will be the driving force behind a shed season. The sad part is people like yourself don't think your doing anything wrong.

>When the snow melts you better
>spots.

If you have already picked up 8 sheds, I guess you didn't wait for the snow to melt.

Where the heck do you live??? I have 3 Feet of snow on my lawn in Northern Utah, and there is more than that on the winter range. Makes no sense for people to be out looking for sheds right now even if there are a few bucks that have dropped. Give the deer a chance to survive the deep snow.

Wha wha wha!!!! Not everybody that goes out looking for sheds this time of year harasses the game. Not everyone lives in n Utah. There are sheds in other states ya know. Here's a tissue now wipe the tears! So you can see all the brown gold disappear before you get there! Haha

>Well in that case the guy
>is a prick. I've be
>out myself and found 8
>horns. I don't feel I
>have chased the deer. they
>will move to other canyons
>but a day later they
>was back no big deal.
>I don't hit my honey
>holes till later but when
>the snow melts you better
>spots. As for the late
>season tags what I was
>getting at is the state
>sure don't care for the
>well being of the wildlife
>do they. AND PLEASE DON'T
>BE A COMPUTER TOUGH
>GUY AND LIP YOU'ER MOUTH
>TO ME!

You should spend less time chasing the deer and more time hitting the books...YOU'ER falling behind!...

>Wha wha wha!!!! Not everybody
>that goes out looking for
>sheds this time of year
>harasses the game. Not
>everyone lives in n Utah.
> There are sheds in
>other states ya know.
>Here's a tissue now wipe
>the tears! So you
>can see all the brown
>gold disappear before you get
>there! Haha

I make the motion in advance that any shed hunting law contains the following; No person under the age of 25 will be allowed to pick up sheds without direct parental supervision.

That should solve 75% of the problem.

That's the best you could come up with is my spelling? that is funny. you bunch of women.

Theres a couple tools over on muleymadness posting pics of themselves do the exact same thing,these a holes are going to be the end of our spring shed hunting some day.

>That's the best you could come
>up with is my spelling?
>that is funny. you bunch
>of women.

Trust me...it's way more than just your spelling...

>>Wha wha wha!!!! Not everybody
>>that goes out looking for
>>sheds this time of year
>>harasses the game. Not
>>everyone lives in n Utah.
>> There are sheds in
>>other states ya know.
>>Here's a tissue now wipe
>>the tears! So you
>>can see all the brown
>>gold disappear before you get
>>there! Haha
>
>I make the motion in advance
>that any shed hunting law
>contains the following; No person
>under the age of 25
>will be allowed to pick
>up sheds without direct parental
>supervision.
>
>That should solve 75% of the
>problem.

hahaha I second that motion

"Trust me...it's way more than just
your spelling..." <----------------THIS!

1st, of may works for me,,,leave the deer alone,the state needs to make a date,,,,,thanks to a few of you azzs,,,

Too bad the actions of a few end up affecting everyone.What's worse is they don't see what they are doing and defend themselves in spite of what the majority see.

You're right,Idahoshedhead-not everyone harrasses deer on the winter range.It only takes a few...

I hate Wyoming's shed law.Too bad the actions of a FEW GREEDY individuals had to screw it up for the rest of us.

Most laws are enacted because of a few individuals who CANNOT EXERCISE SELF-RESTRAINT.

I wonder if people will eventually make the connection between posting up pics of fresh browns in Dec/Jan, asking about "what part of the state", all the vidoes being put out, the websites, forums, etc etc and the ridiculous amount of new shed "hunters" that are out there chasing the animals around. You guys brought this on yourselves by looking for admiration from others.

Is there anything wrong with a few hundred thousand people "chasing" them around in the hot summer months while scouting and hunting come Aug/Sep? That's what they are doing and the success rate proves it :)

I don't think a few horn hunters are really going to bother the deer as long as they do not lack anything in the ethics department. Any one out there horn hunting and purposely chasing deer needs to be reminded of how stupid his/her actions are. For the record... I have been out several times "chasing" so far and will be out again each of the next 4 days as well as every day I have off of work from now until mid May. Gotta love it!

You bunch of puzzies!! The deer is just fine!

Hell, we have been collecting deer horns for nearly a month now using our snow machines and a good lariat. All you have to do is flush them into the deep snow in a meadow, run at them as they bound through the drifts and you can rope them quite easily, the horns usually just pop right off, if not immediately just give it a few good tugs or even drag them a little, them horns will come off - they are ment to! It is my god-given right! hell- ain't nothing wrong with it, so what if a week deer dies because he was "stressed out"? What the hell do you homo puzzies expect us to do, get them a therapast? If a buck dies becuase he was stressed out that just means the coyotes or wolfs would of get him anyways! Goood gawd you queerbaits give me a headache with all your puzzyazz whinin and bitchin.

Don't worry none DoubleLJ and Idahoeshedhed - I gots your backs! And stop worrying and bitchin about speling on the damn internets!

"Pics or it didn't happen!"

you guys are so funny you remind me of a bunch of catty women and the bad thing is i am a woman. i go to work everyday out in the field with the deer and elk i can drive right by them walk right by them load firewood right next to them and not move.you get the lion hunters with there dogs to drive by and look at the animals run. then you whine about walking a sage brush flat i think you are all whinning because the horn already being picked up and its not you.just saying

>you guys are so funny you
>remind me of a bunch
>of catty women and the
>bad thing is i am
>a woman. i go to
>work everyday out in the
>field with the deer and
>elk i can drive right
>by them walk right by
>them load firewood right next
>to them and not move.you
>get the lion hunters with
>there dogs to drive by
>and look at the animals
>run. then you whine about
>walking a sage brush flat
>i think you are all
>whinning because the horn already
>being picked up and its
>not you.just saying

Very well said!!!!! Some people make it sound like all the deer are on life support.....

Shows how little you kids know about deer. Pressuring them during the summer is vastly different than pushing them in deep snow. You think because you don't see them die right in front of you that it doesn't happen. That's because they die in the spring from being so depleted. Big bucks especially go into the winter (post rut) with no reserves. Between all you retards chasing them around, ranchers grazing on critical winter range and the cheatgrass leading to massive fires in many major winter ranges, the herd is being severely impacted.

Even if none of that matters to you, pushing them during winter months just scatters the sheds around a lot more. Experienced shed hunters take great care not to push animals out of an area so that it's easier to find their sheds. Hopefully they come out with a shed hunting game on xbox pretty soon so you clowns will just stay home.

>You bunch of puzzies!! The deer
>is just fine!
>
>Hell, we have been collecting deer
>horns for nearly a month
>now using our snow machines
>and a good lariat. All
>you have to do is
>flush them into the deep
>snow in a meadow, run
>at them as they bound
>through the drifts and you
>can rope them quite easily,
>the horns usually just pop
>right off, if not immediately
>just give it a few
>good tugs or even drag
>them a little, them horns
>will come off - they
>are ment to! It is
>my god-given right! hell- ain't
>nothing wrong with it, so
>what if a week deer
>dies because he was "stressed
>out"? What the hell do
>you homo puzzies expect us
>to do, get them a
>therapast? If a buck dies
>becuase he was stressed out
>that just means the coyotes
>or wolfs would of get
>him anyways! Goood gawd you
>queerbaits give me a headache
>with all your puzzyazz whinin
>and bitchin.
>
>Don't worry none DoubleLJ and Idahoeshedhed
>- I gots your backs!
>And stop worrying and bitchin
>about speling on the damn
>internets!
>
>
>
>"Pics or it didn't happen!"

speaking of spelling and grammar...did you go full retard in your rant, or what? remember, never go full retard. especially when you're trying to act like a hotshot!!

>
>Exactly what the other guy said.
>If you have already found
>eight sheds by Jan 30th
>your pushing the animals. Self
>justication because the dwr has
>a late season elk hunt
>does not excuse ignorance. It's
>pure greed and it will
>be the driving force behind
>a shed season. The
>sad part is people like
>yourself don't think your doing
>anything wrong.

Amen! Very well said!!

So everyone complains that there isn't any deer left and they can't find them on the hunt but when shed season rolls around its ok to go chase them around cause it don't matter if they die. All u guys that think its ok to chase them I don't want to hear you complain about our struggling deer herd anymore cause you aren't helping out the situation any!

For all you guys that think its ok to chase the deer around I don't want to hear you complain about our struggling deer herds and how you can't find any deer during the hunt cause you aren't doing anything to help them out by leaving them un disturbed during the crucial winter months

its not just shed hunting there is much more then people walking around thats hurting are deer herds. theres hunters that chase animals until the end of january shed hunting has been going on for decades now we just figure out that shed hunting is killing off are deer herds theres more to it then just shed hunting try to many tags given out, poaching ,just people in general.

There are lots of reasons for the decline of the deer herds.

Less winter range, over-grazing, competition with Elk, road kill, etc...

If you truly believe that chasing them around in the winter months is NOT part of the equation you are ignorant to the facts.

Now, that being said. Looking for sheds while ensuring you are not stressing the herds seems like a reasonable thing to expect. Unfortunately there are a few idiots that are so greedy they need to push them till their horns fall. These guys are ruining it for everyone else.

I think it's just a matter of time till we have rules like Wyoming. I think that is probably going to be the best thing for the herd.

There was a valid reason Wyoming did what they did. If it wasn't to protect the herds then what was it for?

The problem with any of these types of laws is that it only punishes the law abiding, ethical guys while allowing the same guys that could care less about the laws and the herds to have the areas to themselves.

Maybe that is the endgame of these guys to begin with! Seems like an effective way to limit others access while ensuring their success.

"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

I HATE Wyoming's law.But I hate idiots that chase stressed out wintering animals even worse.Shed hunting in late winter was always a good way for my buds and I to get out after a long winter.We always made sure no animals were present wherever we hunted.Now that has been taken away by the actions of a few...

You will be fined something like $460(not enough)and lose one year's hunting privilege.I don't know if that includes all states in the wildlife violator's compact or not.Last year,17 individuals got busted in Wyoming for illegal shed hunting.G&F uses a variety of techniques to nail violators.I was informed by a G&F warden that there is another big "sting"(his words)operation coming.

Hopefully,most folks will abide by the new law,even though it sucks.Wy G&F is definitely trying to make a statement with these busts.

If you cant understand why this is a BAD thing to do (in many ways) then you have no business calling yourselves sportsmen/women.

it is wrong to chase. you guys thinking going out shed hunting now is wrong and its not and we are sportsmen and women all this sight has on it is a bunch a magg pies assuming everybody that goes out and walks a sage brush flat is chasing or harassing the wildlife if you really want to get into the complaining all you atv riders this year stay on the roads stop tearing up the brush and you know who you are if you read the cool little brown signs that say no atv thats what it means. and this includes snowmobiles and atv with tracks talk to your local game wardens they will tell you they are not ALLOWED OFF ROAD.......

Most TARDS start about 3 Months before any Bone has hit the Dirt!

Maybe chase them on a Wheeler & see if you can get them to Drop a Month or two early!

Make sure & Chase them when the Snow is real Deep,You can get closer that way!

JUDAS!

We can Skin a Buck,We can run a Trout Line, and a Country Boy Can Survive!

I figured I would make a statement on here about shedding deer that can actually surprise some of you. When I was seventeen or so I set up an antler trap in my parents back yard using rope. It was set up right out my bedroom window. I woke up to my amazement to find a 30 inch buck stuck in the retarded antler trap I had made. The buck was bucking like crazy and shaking his head wildly. For a brief seccond I was excited thinking he would shed but after 10 minutes of him going nuts I realized he wasn't going to drop his antlers but rather drop dead! I went outside and cut the deer free from the ropes feeling like a complete idiot. Luckily the deer did not die but a mere 32 hours later the same buck that had been using all of its force to free his antlers from the rope shed. What everyone here needs to learn from this is no matter what you do to try and get a deer to shed it won't work if they aren't ready to! And that goes down to mere hours, not within a week. If a deer sheds while on the run it wasn't because you pushed him out of his bed and made him shed. It was simply coincidence. Learn from others mistakes. It's not a fun feeling pushing a deer to its death just to get some bone. Have fun out there but just be respectful. Or laws will be made that aid hose who care not and restrict those who do!
"I've hunted almost every day of my life, The rest have been wasted"

LAST EDITED ON Mar-01-13 AT 06:59PM (MST)[p]I'm not for chasing deer but I'm not for people just thinking every shed hunter is out chasing deer. This gets brought up every year and it seems kind of funny to me that if your out walking and happen to jump some deer your chasing them. Like during hunting season when EVERYONE is out walking and pushing the deer and elk way harder than right now I guess that doesn't count huh, or say even into May when people are shed hunting and happen to bump a heard of deer or elk that you didn't know was there that doesn't count either? I guess the fishing game using helicopters to do counts doesn't bother the animals either? Quit saying everyone who is out shed hunting is chasing animals most of us are out there doing what we love to do and trying to avoid the big heards of deer, not harassing them.

>LAST EDITED ON Mar-01-13
>AT 06:59?PM (MST)

>
>I'm not for chasing deer
>but I'm not for people
>just thinking every shed hunter
>is out chasing deer. This
>gets brought up every year
>and it seems kind of
>funny to me that if
>your out walking and happen
>to jump some deer your
>chasing them. Like during hunting
>season when EVERYONE is out
>walking and pushing the deer
>and elk way harder than
>right now I guess that
>doesn't count huh, or say
>even into May when people
>are shed hunting and happen
>to bump a heard of
>deer or elk that you
>didn't know was there that
>doesn't count either? I guess
>the fishing game using helicopters
>to do counts doesn't bother
>the animals either? Quit saying
>everyone who is out shed
>hunting is chasing animals most
>of us are out there
>doing what we love to
>do and trying to avoid
>the big heards of deer,
>not harassing them.

+ 100000 !!!!

In May and in hunting season, the animals aren't stressed to the max due to trying to survive living outside in brutal conditions. A bunch of young, dumb Utards ARE chasing the deer...that's a fact. So stop making excuses for that behavior or we are all going to think that you are one of the dopes doing this sh$t.

And it's HERDS, not heards....Good Lord...

I think he was making a point that not everyone who shed hunts is chasing the deer. Good catch on the spelling error BTW, LMAO!

And it's HERDS, not heards....Good Lord...

Never have been a English major I will be the first to admit it. But really didn't need to learn to spell to go hunting/be a welder. Next time I will make sure to send it to you in a message so you can check my spelling for me haha

Bowhunter13 and rugarm77 just because u don't think your chasing the deer don't mean your not putting un needed stress on them the winter months are brutal on them and most of the bucks have low body weight due to the rut so maybe u two should go do some learning about the animals u supposedly hunt

Simple solution. Make gathering or possessing sheds illegal. Some..well many will not understand my point, but then again with the reading/writing comprehension on a 3rd grade level it should not come as a surprise.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

So are you a hunter? What's the last thing you killed? Did you put any un-needed stress on than animal? There is no easy time of year for those animals.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-05-13 AT 11:04AM (MST)[p]Yeah,deer go through stress all year long.Especially in winter;and especially in February and March.Leave 'em alone for a couple months.

Not everybody has snow not everybody from where your from if we all stop ASSUMING the world would be in a better place its funny how people on here now what people on here are doing and where there from we as sportsmen/women should know the ethics of good sportmens ship

LAST EDITED ON Mar-05-13 AT 03:25PM (MST)[p]Outlaw85 You're assuming I'm hunting sheds in January February March. Well you're wrong just like other people on here your assumption is incorrect. I don't go looking for sheds until April and where I go the snow has been long gone for at least a couple months.

I have no doubt that other people are chasing deer when its way too early. So just because somebody makes a point that it's not everyone you assume those who comment are guilty and trying to justify actions.

Go back and read the previous posts then get back with me.

Like was mentioned above not everyone has the same climates and conditions. Not everyone is shed hunting on the Wasatch

Front. Not everyone is from Utah!!

The place I go gets hammered well before I get there. I see ATV tracks all over hell were they shouldn't even be.

For you to put me in that same category as others from reading a few poststhen is absolutely hilarious!!

Get your facts straight kid!

>Not everybody has snow not everybody
>from where your from if
>we all stop ASSUMING the
>world would be in a
>better place its funny how
>people on here now what
>people on here are doing
>and where there from we
>as sportsmen/women should know the
>ethics of good sportmens ship
>

*you're
**know
***they're
****sportsmanship

Good god, that post gave me cancer.

Its lonely at the top.... just the way I like it.

Well rugarm77 why would u say +1000000 to a stupid post that gives me bad facts I'm just calling it like I see it I myself wait till April for deer and may for elk and I still find my biggest sets where the idiots ride four wheelers

Well rugarm77 why would u say +1000000,,,,,,

He makes no mention of when he shed hunts so I will not assume anything. He makes some great points and I agree with him. Like mentioned before, every state and area has different weather conditions. News flash, not every area even gets snow!

Maybe we should start busting peoples chops who post up pictures of sheds before April? Look at the past threads on here, are all these people chasing game? According to your logic yes.

Your attempt at trying to police my ethics in the field are way off base.

Go get a glass of milk and get back with me!

>Simple solution. Make gathering or
>possessing sheds illegal. Some..well
>many will not understand my
>point, but then again with
>the reading/writing comprehension on a
>3rd grade level it should
>not come as a surprise.
>
>
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

if gathering sheds is so brutal , what does that make hunting?the sheds are only a small part of the animal. i graittued from the 12 grade!

LAST EDITED ON Mar-05-13 AT 07:02PM (MST)[p]>Not everybody has snow not everybody
>from where your from if
>we all stop ASSUMING the
>world would be in a
>better place its funny how
>people on here now what
>people on here are doing
>and where there from we
>as sportsmen/women should know the
>ethics of good sportmens ship
>

I agree %100 with this post! Not all of us have snow sorry but its true.

4310305130953.jpg

I can't believe I actually just read all this!!!

First off most of you need to get off your high horse and "hollier than thou" attitude! Shed hunters are not hurting the animals anymore than hunting them directly and non stop after the rut! Which is far more damaging to the health of the animal when they are truly at their weakest point. You guys that think shed hunters are killing the animals are complete idiots, period!

I've been shed hunting hard for over 25 years, and in all those years I've yet to find a single fresh dead deer or elk, other than a few lion kills. But I've found tons of 4-6 months kills that hunters either couldn't retrieve or undo "stress" from over hunting. 99.9% of shed hunters don't chase the animals, 100% of hunters do! And lets don't even get into how many shed hunters are in the field compared to hunters.

I'm going to keep shed hunting as hard and as much as I can year round. And I'm going to do it with a clear conscious. This used to be a great site, but you self righteous few are really ruining Monstermuleys. Do what you want but stfu about how others choose to spend their time in the outdoors!!!

Oh go ahead and check my spelling, and correct what you need to try to feel "smart" haha good luck with that!

I just call em as I see em!

I was totally buying your story till you tossed in the line about not finding any fresh death while shedding...even the most inexperienced shed hunter knows that is just BS.

But that's some really good tough talk...your spelling ain't too bad either...

So I take it you find a bunch of dead over stressed animals every year around this time???? If you are I'd be willing to bet you have far greater problems with your herds than stress!!!
But your average everyday idiots will tell their gullable idiot friends that it was from shed hunters stressing them out, who will then get on the Internet a talk down to and belittle people who are enjoying one of our great past time!

I just call em as I see em!

The other day I got bored and went through alot of the the old archives in this forom. Wow! There are some great photos, lots of great positive comments and even a little information shared here and there. This years forum is very depressing. I really can't believe that some people would rather sit behind a computer and bash others rather than go shed hunting? This thread is a joke.

The unsteady balance of life during this time of year was really highlighted for me this last week here in the denver area. I spotted two bucks out of a herd of ten bucks that simply keeled over and died during the snowstorm a week ago. It wasn't particularly a cold storm either....just cold enough to snow and drop about 8" of wet snow. But it was apparantly enough to finish of these two bucks......bucks that were young, unhunted, unpressured and had access to as good as food as just about any in the state. Both bucks seemed to have decent winter coats and were not noticeably emaciated as I had taken photographs of both of them over the past few months. I think most of us are just urging eachother to be conscientious out there and give a little thought to the animals that leave us our treasure. And hornhunter247.................can't imagine wth you are doing out there if you aren't finding winterkills on at least a semi-regular basis.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom