Straight or angled spotter?

elks96

Long Time Member
I am trying to pull the trigger on a Razor HD spotter. I have used the straight but not angled. For sitting on ground and spotting from truck window which do,you prefer? Why?

giphy.gif

I have a srtaight 85 mm razor. It fits in a pocket in my back pack better then a angled one. Also with my height on my carbon fiber tripod I can look straight threw it. I also have a angle 65 mm razor that I use on a small tripod. I don't have to extend it to look down threw the eye piece. I preferred to look threw the 85 mm most of the time. It always seems like the elk are going to there beds just before the sun comes up. Or out just after the sun goes down. But light gathering is always a plus. My Phoneskope and scope cam work on both as they are the same eye piece. It is also the same as my dads Swarovski's .

LAST EDITED ON Aug-11-16 AT 11:14PM (MST)[p]Just get a straight so you can buy an outdoorsmans tripod and get the dual mount.

Save your money for a swaro HD spotter. Vortex is junk. A buddy of mine pretty much has a degree in optics. He was trying to teach me years ago about good glass and how vortex Isn't. Do yourself a favor and just get the best.

If I would have just saved and bought swaro from the get go I would have saved so much more money than upgrading over time.

The "buy once, cry once" suggestion is true in so many ways.

"That's a special feeling, Lloyd"

I just spent a couple weeks with the vortex razor hd straight and angled spotting scopes. I borrowed the straight and found out that I like the spotting scope. I bought the angled and have found it much easier to look through. It is much easier on my neck and for those who weren't accustomed to spotting scopes, it was much easier for them to look down into the scope and see the critter. I banged my head against the wall for a long time and finally went angled and am extremely happy I did! By the way, I had never been around an angled scope and I think I can find things just as fast in the angled. PS I haven't really used it out of the truck, just on the mountain.

I used to have a straight and thought it was best thing ever. When I bought a new scope I asked same question and decided to try the angled.
Angled is sooooo much better and easier to use. Can keep the tri-pod lower, really helps in strong winds. easier on neck. You will have trouble the first couple hours of glassing adjusting to it but when you do, you will not go back to a straight.

FYI- I never tried using mine from truck so no idea on that aspect.
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

I use a straight scope and I like it better than an angled.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook!

I've used both and still revert to the straight.

While the angled has some real advantages, the straight is just easier for me to find stuff quickly....and sometimes you only have a couple seconds to spare when a critter is on the move.

Zeke

Straight is what has worked out the best for me. I glass from the truck quite a bit during the winter, and the straight works great from a window mount.

Both straight and angled have their pros and cons.
Go online and do some research to find out the pros and cons and weigh your options.
Everyone uses their optics differently.
Understanding how you would use them the majority of the time might sway you one way or the other

"Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak. So
we must and we will."
Theadore Roosevelt

I have used both. I think the straight is easier to film/photograph with, just seems to balance better. Like the angled for just spotting. I can cover a lot more country without moving my fat butt.

Exactly what Pointhunter said. I can cover more ground with an angled without moving my arse. That being said my new spotter is straight, but I got a smoking deal on it and couldn't pass it up. The straight is easier to "point" at and locate areas of interest IMO.

Homer - hilarious cartoon btw.

Go spend some time looking off your window mount with an angled spotter. After the crook heals up, you'll go buy a straight...

I Think it all Depends on what/How You Use your Spotter!

I Used My Straight for Decades before even knowing they made an Angle!

Got used to it & still use a Straight today!

I'll Have to admit,if you're out in the woods & You don't have a real tall Tripod(For Standing & Spotting!) the Angled Scope might be the Best!

[font color="blue"]dude has his Resume turned in to be Hillary's
Intern[/font]

I use an angled spotter. Have tried a straight but the only place it has an advantage is out of the truck. And since that's where everyone else is hunting from I don't do much glassing from the truck.

I have been using my 15's a lot from a tripod lately and wish they were angled lol. It's just way easier to glass with an angle then straight for me.

Regards, Branden

Buy both and let me use the one you are not using.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom