Striped Breach Plug

R

runninlopes8

LAST EDITED ON Aug-25-11 AT 08:52AM (MST)[p]Ok Gentlemen, I seem to have stripped my breach plug trying to take it out. Do I take it in to a smith or do you have any advice?

Depends on which gun and which breech plug. In my Omega, it was the tool that stripped. When I switched to a deep socket wrench with an extension, it comes right off. So if it is the same style, you might try that.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I have a TC impact. I think Ill try the deep socket wrench. It looks like it will catch in the back of the plug. with extention Should I soak it in anything before taking it off?

What powder were you using, did you use plug grease, and did you hand tighten or wrench tighten?

Best scenerio is if you used BH 209, shouldn't sieze up and should come off fairly easily. With other powders, you can have trouble geting it off, especially if you tightened snugly with a wrench. When using other powders, I use the wrench, but hand tighten. If you make it snug with a wrench, it is a bear to get off after a shooting session.

Not sure on what to soak it in if it is seized up. Check with guys on mondernmuzzleloader website, some guys who know more than me there.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Try Standing the gun upright with the muzzle down then put some Kroil oil around the brich plug and let it sit overnight...then try to get it out.

I have used both Kroil/Liquid Wrench and 90% rubbing alcohol successfully to soak in the barrel to loosen sticky breech plugs in the past. Also, heat up the action before trying to remove. Use the wife's hair dryer or a hot-air gun; don't overheat. That will both expand the hole slightly and soften any crud in the gease. Good luck.

Guys,

Thanks for all the help!! Got her loose today.... tried a little bit of everything

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom