Stripping Velvet

I've only stripped the velvet from one deer ever. It was completely by accident. It was not a trophy animal but I wanted to do a Euro with it to see how it would turn out. I sort of accidentally found that by placing the head and antlers in a plastic bag, in the sun, the velvet seemed to sluff off on its own.

Obviously that was within a day or two of when I killed it though. I guess the heat inside the bag made the velvet come right off.

This would not be advisable if it is a deer you are mounting with a cape though.

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

Go out to your wifes prize rose bushes and apple trees strap the rack to your head strutting around and tearing up bark.
Don't worry we will all share the local news link when they show up to take video too :D

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

I stripped the velvet off mine last year. The velvet wasn't that great, and after I boiled the head to do the Euro, it looked even worse. What I did was soak the antlers in a big tupperware (If your antlers will fit). I poured a bunch of salt in the water, but I don't know if it was necessary. I let them soak for 1-2 days. Once they were ready, the velvet literally broke open and started to peel off on it's own. Was easy peasy.
I then stained and sanded my antlers for color. I didn't do the best on that, but it looks decent.
Here are some before and after pics.

2137velvet2.jpg

9925velvet1.jpg

>>>---->
For the love of the game

Thanks Fever..I'll try that.....looks like you did a great job to me...now I gotta find a tupperware container the size of a horse through..HEHEHE

".now I gotta find a tupperware container the size of a horse through..HEHEHE"

That's a pleasant problem to have to deal with. :)

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

What do you mean by scratching up the antlers?
I've done a few and the bone is solid unless you're using a knife or something hard to help peel the velvet.
Spray it down with a hose and peel away that's it.
Most of the time you don't need anything but you hands, there will be some blood, wipe away with a wet towel and let dry - Done

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom